Damaged sub

Badge +1
Just bought from b&h a new sonos sub to add to my play 1s. When delivered I noticed the sonos box to be damaged on one corner. Once unpackaged I noticed the sub also was damaged on one corner. A breif test seems like the sub is okay, but not sure if a year of booming bass may cause problems.

My question is should I just ask for a new unit, or does this seem completely cosmetic and perhaps I could negotiate a discount and also circumvent the wait and exchange process.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Change it. For one thing, cosmetics are an important part of the Sub but more importantly, who is to say if internals are undamaged? The box may have been dropped from a height.
No reason not to get a new unit. B&H should replace it themselves.
Badge +1
got a return, thx for the advice.

They can do a second shipment, and return as a refund - so shouldn't miss too much playing time!
Badge +1
@kumar the 1s + sub are excellent! Thx for recommendation
Good to hear; have you been able to see how they sound after Trueplay?
Badge +1
No trueplay yet. Need to find the right time (I have two young kids!)

I was however able to reposition the two ones along a wall about 12-15 feet apart with the sub in the center about 4 feet below the 1s. Made a big difference.

Any difference with the sub on its side vs vertical?
No idea; I have always placed it vertical, since that was always more convenient. It ought not to make much of a difference in the position you describe and based on Sonos claims, and true play will deal with any little differences quite easily. Remember though that true play needs to be done each time speaker position is changed in any way.
I've got both of mine on it's side, and haven't considered them to be lacking in anyway. They're under a couch and a bed, and seem to rock the world quite adequately. But I concur wholeheartedly with Kumar on the Trueplay suggestion. Takes about 5 minutes to do, and gives you an excellent baseline, from which you can then deviate if you so desire. I didn't desire 🙂
Badge +1
But I concur wholeheartedly with Kumar on the Trueplay suggestion. Takes about 5 minutes to do

And an Iphone... 😞
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
But I concur wholeheartedly with Kumar on the Trueplay suggestion. Takes about 5 minutes to do

And an Iphone... :(

It's a one-time only operation unless you move speakers or make a major change to your audio space. You must surely know at least 1 person who would come to your place for ten minutes who owns an I-device?
Badge +1
To be honest? Only my boss... 😞 In the last days everytime I see someone with his phone on hand I' m checking it out :8