• 3 January 2023
  • 4 replies

How can I connect my new play:1 into Sonos OS S1 with my old Play : 5 & One

I cannot update the OS because this will disconnect the old Play:5

Help !

icon

Best answer by Jamie A 6 January 2023, 13:29

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

You CAN update the app, if all that is being asked is to load the latest version of the S1 firmware, which is what I suspect is the case here.

If the ‘new’ Play:1 is actually second hand (which I think it must be) it may have previously been part of an S2 system.  Have you factory reset it?

Thanks for the reply John!

The Play:1 used to be connected to our system and everything worked fine but after a internet box change it was disconnected.

I have done the classic reset so the green light works. Should I do the factory reset maybe ?

Our Play:5 is an old one and isnot compatible with the new OS.

Hi.  I am not sure what you mean by a “classic” reset as opposed to a factory reset?

What is the context here?  What is making you think you might upgrade to S2?  Are you being told you have to update in order to add the Play:1?  I can’t be sure without further detail, but I suspect that you are just being asked to install the latest S1 update.  What version of S1 are you currently on?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @ramallant, welcome to the Sonos Community!

We don’t sell any Play:1 speakers anymore, even on our refurbished site, so it’s possible that you have a Sonos One instead of a Play:1. If you have a Sonos One then it will still be compatible with your S1 system, but if you have a Sonos One SL, then it will only work on the S2 app. You can find out what speakers work on what apps on our S2 compatibility page.

The easiest way to tell a speakers model is by checking the name on the bottom or back next to the serial number. 

As John said, the app might be asking you to download the newest S1 firmware. If you have a Play:1 or Sonos One (not a One SL), then follow these steps to add it to your system:

1. Make sure the system is up to date by opening the S1 app and going to Settings → System → System Updates → Check for Updates.
  2. If there are no updates, or the update has finished, make sure the speaker you’re trying to add has a flashing green LED light, if not, Factory Reset the speaker before continuing,
  3. Add the speaker by going to Settings → System → Add Product.

If you follow these steps and are still having issues adding the speaker to your system, then I’d suggest reaching out to our support team to troubleshoot this issue further with them.

I hope this information helps!