Skip to main content

Thought I’d take my Sonos Roam on holiday.    Didn’t work.  Couldn’t connect to WiFi as the hotel (Radisson), like most, uses open access WiFi so instead of a password, you sign in with room number and family name.  

I kinda accepted that, though far from ideal, but I couldn’t even get the Roam to work via Bluetooth.  

I had the hotel IT guy try various workarounds for an hour but he had to give up.  

Does anyone know a solution for this?   Cheers. 

The Roam must be set up, and registered, on your Home WiFi before being used as a Bluetooth device. as per instructions.  Did you do this?

Just got back from a vacation. Used my Roam repeatedly as a Bluetooth receiver/speaker from two separate devices. Worked like a champ. 

The Roam must be set up, and registered, on your Home WiFi before being used as a Bluetooth device. as per instructions.  Did you do this?

Yep.   All working fine at home.  

the only problem was when I tried to use it abroad in hotel with open access broadband.   My phone connected to the wifi easily.   Sonos tried to connect but couldn’t as it isn’t a separate browser and couldn’t enter room number and then surname.  

Correct, there are no Sonos devices that have a screen or data entry point to log in to password protected network such as exist in many public networks. It’s why you see the frequent posts in this forum recommending the use of a travel router, which has that functionality. They allows you to run your own WiFi network for your controller and Sonos products to connect to, without allowing anyone on that public network the opportunity to mess with your speakers. 

Sonos is not alone in this. My Amazon Firestick and Google Chromecast also do not work in most hotel environments.

@Chiswick 39 

This type of connection is actually mentioned in the Sonos System Requirements as being unsupported. See this link:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/126

…and see the sub-heading ‘Unsupported network setups and devices

One way around it (if you prefer to not use Bluetooth) is to perhaps take a travel router with you.