Skip to main content
I’m curious. When a system is in ‘Boost’ mode, does a new speaker only use sonosnet to join the system and obtain uodates etc, or does it initially use wifi before placing itself onto the Mesh?

I’m guessing the latter. As today i added a new pair of Play Ones in the garage which is integral (in the basement, with concrete ceiling above solid block walls on all sides ) where my iphone could not get a wifi signal (iphones kept seipping the signal if I obtained it outside the gagrage and then entered). I could get a signal inside the ‘house’ part of the basement, and the Play Ones joined, uodated and played like troopers.

Router is two storeys up theough two concrete floors. So either Mesh works from the outset or they have some amazingly strong wifi!

Anyone know the answer?
Assuming there are no WiFi credentials stored in the system -- which should be the case in SonosNet/BOOST mode -- there's no way that a new unit could attach to the WiFi. It connects to its peers via the SonosNet mesh.
Your conclusion seems at odds with your reasoning??? Maybe I'm misreading.

Anyway, if you have not entered your wifi credentials into Sonos, then a new speaker cannot connect to your WiFi, only to SonosNet.

If you have entered WiFi details then a new speaker will tend to connect to the SonosNet part of your LAN, but theoretically, if WiFi is strong in a particular location and SonosNet not so, a new speaker might connect to WiFi, putting your system into 'mixed mode'.

To the best of my knowledge there is no 'Wifi first then SonosNet' process, and that seems extremely unlikely in principle to me.
SonosNet mode dates from the days long before Sonos units could even communicate via WiFi. It's a peer-to-peer mesh. That said, I've always wondered about the magic of adding a new unit. Presumably there's some beaconing, channel scanning and, dare I say it, some brief open communications until the newcomer has been informed of the household's encryption key.

Yes, I think you are.
Thanks all for the input. Good point about the wifi key wipe in boost mode). i’d forgotten about that. Though I’m not convinced it gets conpletely removed, rather disabled. But who knows. Either way, impressed with the reach of SonosNet into the garage. Struggle even to get 3g in there (it is a split level house with basement at the back). Ground level at front is 1st floor at back. So the garage has a lot of travel to do for wifi which struggles immensly! 150mm block walls on either side and solid concrete beam ceiling! Go Sonos. 🆒
Good point about the wifi key wipe in boost mode). i’d forgotten about that. Though I’m not convinced it gets conpletely removed, rather disabled.

I think you may be missing the point. In its original, SonosNet, incarnation the system never requested any WiFi credentials.
Original form notwithstanding, my system was originally in wifi mode and in fact was opperatijg in mixed mode (erroneoously) for a number of months. Hence the possibly flawed logic. 😉

Yes, I think you are.
Well, I would have concluded, from what you described, that no WiFi was involved. You concluded that it was. But no matter.

Yes, I think you are.
Well, I would have concluded, from what you described, that no WiFi was involved. You concluded that it was. But no matter.

I see the issue. I stated latter instead of former. Oops! . My mistake. It was sonos net I was actually thinking of. Not sure what went wrong in my brain there. But the rest of the text describes how there’s no wifi signal in the garage! Appologies for the confusion 🆒
No worries - it did sound like your reasoning was correct! On another point you raise, I suspect that wifi credentials are removed rather than the ability to connect to them disabled. The reason that I suspect deletion is that if you move between networks you 'reset' the old credentials then replace with the new ones. Sonos will certainly only work with one set at a time. As you imply, it doesn't really matter if the information lingers on in a corner of memory somewhere - all that matters is that Sonos won't try to connect to that network.