Answered

ARC mounting

Badge +2

How long is the mounting bracket for the ARC?   Trying to figure total length and where the screws would be.  I have a cabinet that the TV is in.  The old “hole for your TV” idea.   Problem is the hole is not long enough to just put the ARC on it.   And the shelves sit in from the concrete hole.  Would you suggest putting the bracket on the shelf below it and just pulling that shelf out a bit?  I’m not sure how else to do it.

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 9 January 2022, 07:17

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

Userlevel 7

Here are the dimensions of the Arc wall mount:

32-5/16” W x 1-5/8” H x 5/16” D

The problem with putting the Arc on the shelf below is the side walls will probably block the side-firing drivers. Sonos recommends at least 1 foot of clearance from a wall or any obstruction on each side of the Arc.

Badge +2

Thank you.   The shelf isn’t wide enough anyway.  My thought was to bring that shelve below out farther (past the wall) and then attach the ARC to the front of the shelf.  Or even just put it on the shelf.  

Userlevel 7

Thank you.   The shelf isn’t wide enough anyway.  My thought was to bring that shelve below out farther (past the wall) and then attach the ARC to the front of the shelf.  Or even just put it on the shelf.  

If understand your thought process you intend to extend the shelf out further. The current shelving looks fixed so where is the additional length coming from?

If you are planning on designing a custom shelf I’d suggest doing so for the shelf that supports the TV. Make sure you have enough weight behind the TV to counter the weight of the Arc. You may have to raise the TV a bit so that screen clears the height of the Arc.

If you decide to go with your original plan (using the shelf below the TV) I still suggest a weight in the rear to counter the weight of the Arc.

Badge +2

I can extend the shelf I think.   Not sure I would want to do that with the TV however.  And not sure how to raise the TV either.   Do you think the shelf below is too low? Also thought about just going with the Beam instead of the Arc but have been told the Arc is so much better. 

Userlevel 7

The shelf below should be OK. Here’s my idea on how to extend the shelf with two bolts on either end and possibly a 3rd bolt in the middle. I would still set a counter weight in the rear of the lower shelf. The Arc is better than the Beam 2 for a complete home theater experience. 

Badge +2

I can extend the shelf.  And can figure out counter weight behind it pretty easily.   Wondering if the ARC might sort of overpower the tv visually.  The TV is only a 48” LG.  And more and more articles are saying the Beam is just as good (maybe better in some ways) than the Arc.

Userlevel 7

I don’t buy that reasoning regarding the Arc vs the Beam2 and I have both. The shape and layout of the room is what influences any soundbar. Especially so when you are playing multi-channel audio like Dolby Atmos. 

For example neither the Arc nor Beam will perform as intended in a room with 13 foot ceilings and 15 feet to the nearest side wall on both sides. IMO… In a room of that shape the best you can hope for is sound similar to 2.0 stereo. Surrounds and a sub in such a room would be mandatory to augment the Arc or Beam2.

Regarding visual aspects of the Arc or Beam2… purchase the color that doesn’t draw attention. White in a room with dark decor will always draw the eye. Bottom-line is to select the color that best makes the Arc or Beam2 as invisible as possible so that the viewer is watching the screen and not focusing on where the audio is originating from.

Badge +2

Interesting.   Thanks for the reply.   It is a room with very high ceiling.   At least 15ft.   I was already planning on a couple ones and a sub.   Just seeing if the beam would suffice for space.  

Userlevel 7

Interesting.   Thanks for the reply.   It is a room with very high ceiling.   At least 15ft.   I was already planning on a couple ones and a sub.   Just seeing if the beam would suffice for space.  

No problem. The Beam 2 doesn’t have upward firing speakers… only side firing. IMO the Arc would be a better choice. If funds permit you could buy both and audition them in your space to determine which will meet your needs. Sonos offers a 45 day return ( no questions asked) and some retailers offer 10-15 day returns. Good luck with your decision and shelf extension project 😊

Badge +2

Great advice!   Now I am even more confused which way to go.  I also have a tv upstairs and it could do an immersive beam or arc.   It’s a bedroom so don’t really need it to be home theatre.  Lol.   Also, if I did the beam downstairs with the pictured TV, I probably wouldn’t extend the shelf.   Just put it on there below the tv.  Would that still sound alright?

Userlevel 7

The Beam 2 would probably be enough in a bedroom. The reason to extend the shelf is to give the side firing speakers clearance which both the Arc and Beam 2 have.

Badge +2

So 9 inches on each side of the Beam wouldn’t be enough for the side firing?   

Userlevel 7

So 9 inches on each side of the Beam wouldn’t be enough for the side firing?   

Should be OK. However you still may want to audition both the Arc and Beam 2 to satisfy yours and my curiosity 🤔🤣😂👌

Badge +2

Ha!   Would be glad to be that experiment.    Not sure I have the patience to order both just for that.  But maybe.   Also, like the idea of being “lazy” and not making the extended shelf.  LOL   I could always put the Arc in the bedroom for overkill!  LOL.    So is Sono’s return process pretty easy then?

Userlevel 7

If you decide on the Beam 2 adding Sonos One SL’s and  sub should be enough assuming (along with the high ceilings) your space is not an arena. LOL 😂 

Also, if you have or can borrow an iPhone you can use Trueplay in the Sonos app to tune the speakers to the room environment. 👌

Badge +2

Great info.  Didn’t know about TruePlay!

Space is not an arena.  But it is where we watch 90% of all our TV!

Userlevel 7

Sorry…I missed your ask regarding Sonos return policy. Scroll to the bottom of this page and click on “Returns”. All is explained there.