Airplay 2 on Sonos

• 2 January 2018
  • 71 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Can anyone confirm whether you will need a Sonos One or a Sonos Play 1 to be able to play content from Apple products using Airplay?
I know that Playbase and Play 5 will support it, but don’t have either of them. I currently have a Playbar, a Sub, and 6 Play 1’s, (in a 5.1 configuration, a Stereo Pair and 2 seperate rooms with a single Play 1 in). I want to add one more speaker, would prefer a Play 1 as I have absolutely no interest in voice control, but would buy a Sonos One if that is the Only way to add Airplay to my system.
Thank you in anticipation.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

71 replies

Userlevel 7
You'll need more than just a speaker. Also AirPlay 2 compatibility is not yet available but you can be notified when it is. Here's your answer just follow the link: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1230
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Thank you for your reply. I have now registered to be informed when Airplay 2 is available.
I was under the impression that the details explained in the link you sent to me are relevant IF you want to play via Airplay NOW, but thought that when Airplay 2 is released and Sonos have offered the system update, that Airplay would work without the need for extra 3.5mm audio cables into a Play 5 or Playbase and Connect ot Connect Amp. I thought it would work directly to the speaker (as it does with current Apple products)
Userlevel 7
After reading the link again you may be correct. After the update AirPlay 2 on Sonos may be native. Sweet!
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
After reading the link again you may be correct. After the update AirPlay 2 on Sonos may be native. Sweet!
Fingers crossed.
If I knew either way, I would buy straight away, either a Sonos One or a Play 1. As I mentioned, I have no interest in voice control so would buy a Play 1 if I could, but if that won’t support Airplay 2 when it is released I would be very “P”,d off. I ask the question because there are some very good prices around for a few more days And see no point buying a Sonos One only to have the mic’s permenantly turned off.
Since they haven't finished implementation and released it, we don't know if a PLAY:1 will be an airplay 2 receiver. We do know that if you have one speaker/Sonos device that is a receiver, any and all of your Sonos devices will play the airplay 2'd content, since at that point, it's just another stream in the ecosystem.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Thanks for your input Airgetlam. I will save my money and wait until we know for sure.
All the best to everyone for 2018.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Current thought is that you will need at least one Play:5 gen 2, Playbase, or Sonos One to receive the input for airplay2
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Thanks Chris
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
As others have said, we're not sharing too much while development is ongoing. For now, I'm happy to confirm that the Sonos One will be able to receive an Airplay2 signal and play it. Beyond that, you'll have to stay tuned for the future.
Any idea when it will be arriving. Would really love airplay functionality especially for the BBC radio player app.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I would make a guess that if Airplay2 launches in January. If Sonos went to beta in February .... maybe final public release April? I haven't normally seen Sonos move much faster then that.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
While those are some good suggestions from Chris, officially, we're not ready to share a more specific timeline just yet. As soon as we can share more we will.
Interesting, I hadn't heard any rumblings from Apple that they'd launch in January. Not that I've been paying particular attention, mind you, but usually those things surface on places like Engadget or 9to5 Mac, or even The Loop.

I'll have to start paying closer attention.
Heh. I've just not been paying attention. Just read an article from 9to5Mac that said it would be launching by the end of 2017. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Airplay2 was supposed to launch in December with the HomePod. The HomePod was delayed until a January so then I would assume Airplay2 then pushed to January. There was supposedly airplay2 developer code in the last iOS beta that was pulled on public release a few weeks ago.
Do you know if i could connect an apple tv with two sonos one after the implementation? Today i need a playbar or a playbase.
We currently don't know. They haven't released any details about the way the implementation will work.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
As others have said, we're not sharing too much while development is ongoing. For now, I'm happy to confirm that the Sonos One will be able to receive an Airplay2 signal and play it. Beyond that, you'll have to stay tuned for the future.

If that's the case I will be selling my Play:1's. I think we all know the underlying hardware is there and is capable of supporting it. What a terrible and user-hostile choice.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I think we all know the underlying hardware is there and is capable of supporting it. What a terrible and user-hostile choice.
How do you know that? Please share.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yea we have no idea if the Play:1 has or has not the necessary hardware to support it. All we know is that if the hardware supports it then Sonos will make it available for. We currently think, with no information from Sonos to support it, that only the Gen:2 devices will support Airplay2.

As in Gen:2 mean:
Play:5 (actually called Play:5 gen2)
Playbase (actually a Playbar gen2)
Sonos One (actually a Play:1 gen2)

So making some arbitrary assumption that we know the Play:1 hardware will support it is completely unfounded. Such statements are misleading with not a hint of actual knowledge. And calling Sonos customer hostile (a company that hasn't obsoleted a piece of equipment in its 10 year history) is unfounded as well. Airplay2 didn't exist until 2018 and making the assumption that equipment purchased prior to Airplay2 ever being developed would be compatible isn't comprehendible. I'm very excited we actually are going to get Airplay2 compatibility for our system and if for some reason I had to buy 1 new speaker to make my whole system compatible I would be jumping for joy (I don't have to purchase as I have a Sonos One which I know will be compatible).

The thing is you should only need one of these speakers above to be able then to play airplay2 throughout your home (even onto legacy speakers via grouping with at minimum).
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
I think we all know the underlying hardware is there and is capable of supporting it. What a terrible and user-hostile choice.
How do you know that? Please share.

Because AirPlay 2 is a software protocol. They should be able to add it to the app.
https://developer.apple.com/documentation/avfoundation/airplay_2/getting_airplay_2_into_your_app

It should not require new hardware. Sonos One and Play:1 both have Wi-Fi. My understanding is that the One only added microphones and a different driver.

I use AirSonos now it AirPlay to my Play:1's now.

I'd love to hear their explanation why it won't work on Play:1.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Because AirPlay 2 is a software protocol. They should be able to add it to the app.
https://developer.apple.com/documentation/avfoundation/airplay_2/getting_airplay_2_into_your_app

It should not require new hardware. Sonos One and Play:1 both have Wi-Fi. My understanding is that the One only added microphones and a different driver.

I use AirSonos now it AirPlay to my Play:1's now.

I'd love to hear their explanation why it won't work on Play:1.

As a software 'protocol', Airplay 2 will depend on having a sufficiently powerful CPU and enough memory. The One is different to the PLAY:1 in almost every respect, and certainly in terms of its processing power.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Air sonos only works because the server computer is doing the processing and routing. It is also unlicensed and not apple approved method that sonos could take advantage of.
Well, number 1, the Sonos app does not process the protocol the Sonos devices do, and number 2, regardless of it being a software protocol, it will have minimum processor and memory requirements that may not be met by older Sonos equipment.

Any questions?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hey Sonos could just end of life all the Gen1 stuff like a normal company would and force you to use all Gen2 for new features. How does that work for you svomak! I'm sure we could get all kinds of cool gee wiz stuff then for you.