Answered

Add Sonos on a guest wifi-network in my house

• 30 April 2023
  • 8 replies

Hi, I have a studio downstairs that I rent out and would like to connect a Sonos One to the guest wifinetwork that I use for the studio. It is on the same router, but has a different name and password.

So far I have managed to get out of the Sonos app via app reset. My phone is on the guestnetwork. I add the Sonos box (I do see all Sonos boxes in the house still thought) and all seems to go fine till the last step when I get a message that the system is not able to connect to the wifi.

Anyone suggestions? 

icon

Best answer by buzz 30 April 2023, 21:28

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Guest networks exist because they prevent devices on it from connecting to each other, say your visitors’ phones and your NAS or printer. For your phone to command your Sonos device it needs to connect to it, which it can’t do through a guest network.

You cannot use the guest the SSID for SONOS because guest allows devices to only access the Internet. Access to local devices is blocked for security. Unfortunately, SONOS is a local device.

If you can run a network cable downstairs, install a dedicated router downstairs and wire this router to your main router. If you can’t run the wire, install a travel router downstairs. Install the downstairs SONOS system as a separate system. This will minimize the risk of “expert” tenants imposing on your SONOS system.

Thanks! Makes complete sense but I did not think of of it. Will try to set up a local network in the studio. 

Another question: I have a Orbi network. Any chance you know it this can be used to set up a second local network? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Niki van Wijk 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Another question: I have a Orbi network. Any chance you know it this can be used to set up a second local network? 

Yes - the main Orbi node will act as a router (as long as it isn’t put into Bridge/AP mode). Be sure to use a different subnet on the second network though.

I hope this helps.

Thanks! Any idea where I can find the instructions to create a different subnet or does that not depend on the Orbi newtork? 

Thanks! Any idea where I can find the instructions to create a different subnet or does that not depend on the Orbi newtork? 

https://www.netgear.com/support/

You can put in your model number and ask for instructions or pull up the user guide.   It’s probably something that can be setup pretty easily through their app.

thanks!