Skip to main content
Question

Voice commands not working on Sonos beam

Hi All,

My sonos beam (in 5.1 configuration) suddenly stopped responding to voice commands- neither Alexa nor hey sonos work. I tried rebooting, forgetting sonos skill and re-enabling in Alexa app, also de registering and re registering- no avail. Voice commands are working well in all other devices- Move etc. I wonder if something is wrong with Beam hardware and it’s not able to listen to my commands anymore? it’s really annoying- and any help and guidance would be much appreciated. Many thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

20 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

There is a known defect with the new release and Alexa Integration but your SVC should still work.

Edit:

Can you open the Sonos App>Settings>Manage>Voice Assistants>Sonos Voice Control and make sure that your Beam is shown as Enabled?

Hi, yes I checked and the sonos voice control is enabled. Not sure what else to do. Quite frustrated already. Many thanks for your help

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi, yes I checked and the sonos voice control is enabled. Not sure what else to do. Quite frustrated already. Many thanks for your help

Have you tried removing SVC from the Beam and then re enabling?

Thanks- removed SVC and the tried reading a few times but unable to- getting the same error (see screenshot). The Beam is connected to wifi and plying music ok- but unable to add SVC :(

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Okay.  To rule out any network issues, can you follow the steps in my article:

Hi, thanks- no network issues found.  All working well, except no SVC… 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi, thanks- no network issues found.  All working well, except no SVC… 

Sorry, I’m out of ideas then.

Badge

Thanks- removed SVC and the tried reading a few times but unable to- getting the same error (see screenshot). The Beam is connected to wifi and plying music ok- but unable to add SVC :(

I’m having the same issue when installing Alexa and SVC.  Were you able to fix this?

I’m having the same issue when installing Alexa and SVC.  Were you able to fix this?

No fix yet… I will perhaps try hard resetting the beam this weekend as a last resort

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

No fix yet… I will perhaps try hard resetting the beam this weekend as a last resort

That won't make any difference in my opinion, best to wait for the bug fix IMHO.

I have the problem on all my voice controlled speakers and the same error message. I tried hard reset on the move and still have the error. Sounds like the only option is waiting for a bug fix!

Thank you- seems like it’s better to wait for the bug fix then. Hope sonos team are monitoring this platform and will sort it out soon!

I’m having similar issue- says that Alexa is connected even though I have unconnected from Alexa. Sonos if I reboot works for 5 mins then stops so I’m not getting error message but can’t continue to reset constantly- very frustrating. 

Badge

iOS app and firmware updates were release today. Did your problem with adding voice assistants got resolved with it? In my case, I am still unable to add any VA service in my system. 

I'm waiting on Android 

iOS app and firmware updates were release today. Did your problem with adding voice assistants got resolved with it? In my case, I am still unable to add any VA service in my system. 

Hi, I updated the Sonos app and tried adding Alexa again today. After all the steps (signing to Amazon etc.)the app said, ‘failed to add Alexa’ but it’s actually working on my beam now. Hope you have luck too. Cheers!

Badge

Hi, I updated the Sonos app and tried adding Alexa again today. After all the steps (signing to Amazon etc.)the app said, ‘failed to add Alexa’ but it’s actually working on my beam now. Hope you have luck too. Cheers!

It’s now working too.  What I did was to deregister the Beam in the Alexa app and disable the skill and tried reinstalling Alexa via the Sonos app. It’s weird that it appears offline in the Alexa app but works perfectly fine when I call out Alexa in my Beam.

Badge

Is your Sonos Voice Assistant working too??  

So they must be making incremental update and letting people find them on their own. Yesterday I picked up my android tablet to open a Sonos support session and voice controls set up successfully. I would suggest deleting the app then reinstalling prior to checking functionality. 

Is your Sonos Voice Assistant working too??  

Hi, Yes- it seems to be working now. Cheers!