Answered

Sonos Voice Control + Apple Music: error "file not encoded properly"

• 1 November 2022
  • 5 replies

• Contributor I
  • 5 replies

Hello

I’m a bit puzzled by an issue which started just few days ago (can’t pinpoint exactly when).

I’ve been using Sonos Voice Control since it’s been released on a Sonos Roam and Sonos One to stream from my Apple Music, and it’s been working perfectly fine.

Then suddenly, when requesting a specific song, I started to see error in the app “Unable to play song xxx, file not encoded correctly”, and nothing plays.

The song is recognised and added properly to the queue, but can’t play. Pressing play button in the app at that stage gives the same error.

If I then try to search the same song through the app and play it, it works perfectly fine. So it’s really just when finding the song through voice assistant that it doesn’t work.

If there’s nothing in the queue to start with and I just say “Hey Sonos, play music” (so nothing specific), it starts playing from my “station” and it works well…

I tried to remove Sonos Voice Assistant and re-add it, I tried to remove Apple Music and re-add it, I tried to restart the devices obviously, I tried to factory reset the Sonos One and re-add it to the system, nothing works.

I contacted Sonos support, but the agent just went through some very basic things like restarting and it’s basically it. I submitted them a diagnostic report, but not sure they did anything with this.

I’m out of idea now. I don’t understand what could have changed if it’s on my side.

icon

Best answer by Mr. T 5 November 2022, 13:04

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Well… just as it stopped working, it miraculously started to work again this morning, without me touching anything...

Userlevel 7

There was a known issue with SVC using Apple Music and Amazon Music.

The issues with Amazon Music are still ongoing whilst Apple Music is working again.

https://status.sonos.com

Thank you. I didn’t know about this page. Shame than Sonos customer service themselves don’t seem to be aware of it either.

Shocked that Sonos is having this problem and blaming Apple.  My “Apple” files play just fine on every player I have and have downloaded.  Like to know how Sonos is not the problem.  Feel bad that I am no longer a Sonos customer.  How can Sonos let an APP cause this situation.

Shocked that Sonos is having this problem and blaming Apple.  My “Apple” files play just fine on every player I have and have downloaded.  Like to know how Sonos is not the problem.  Feel bad that I am no longer a Sonos customer.  How can Sonos let an APP cause this situation.

Where exactly in this thread do you see anyone blaming Apple?  Beside that, since services tend use separate servers for their own apps vs third party hardware, it's quite possible for streamed Apple files to play on some devices and not on others.  And the Sonos "APP" doesn't play anything.  It's a controller only.  The Sonos hardware plays the content.