Intercom feature request

• 5 January 2023
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1

Hey!

Since many of your products have both speaker and microphone in the same device, would it be impossible to contact two (or more of these) in a “call” with each other? 

Apparently Sonos isn’t able to use Amazon Alexa drop in feature (because of missing blinking LEDs or something?), but could you perhaps make it’s own intercom feature for multiroom homes with multiple speakers? Just use Sonos Voice Control instead of Alexa/Google Assistant to enable this feature so you wouldn’t be affected by other companies like Amazon?

I know I’m not alone wanting badly this feature without use of any additional echo devices.

Sincerely yours,

Aksulotli

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Aksulotli 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Thank you - I've marked this thread as a feature request and it will be seen by the relevant teams for consideration. Keep the ideas coming!

Just wanted that you can do annoucements with Sonos speakers, the Alexa enabled ones at least.  For example, ‘Alexa, annouce dinner’s ready’ will send your voice to every speaker in the house.  

Userlevel 1

Wow thanks melvimbe! This already helps a lot :)

And thanks  Corry P for forwarding! 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I would love to have two way communication.  All of the surveys I’ve filled out I have asked for this as well. We used to use drop in with Alexa then I got rid of those to expand Sonos and found that drop in doesn’t work on them. Then I switched the assistant to google and was using the broadcast feature and that worked really well with all our sonos speakers that were voice enabled which stopped working at some point and now I can only broadcast to our 2 google alarm clocks and none of our sonos speakers.  About a year ago I started using the intercom app on the Apple App Store and that will connect to all sonos speakers and recognize the rooms you have set up so you can intercom to a particular speaker. The app is just called intercom and is a pink/orange square with a white circle with 3 lines in the middle. It works with older Sonos speakers without voice control also. 

Like the others, I would like to have two way communication (like an intercom) room to room or make announcements.

Thinking about moving to Amazon echo because of this.

Yes, an intercom function would be really great, ideally from the app so that you can set up two-way communication with your speakers

Just wanted that you can do annoucements with Sonos speakers, the Alexa enabled ones at least.  For example, ‘Alexa, annouce dinner’s ready’ will send your voice to every speaker in the house.  

What they said!  I’ll trade all my past bags of Sonos feature request votes and all future feature request votes to please add this feature.  SAVE our spouses voices and ours ears from yelling in our small to medium sized McMansions filled to the brim with Sonos speakers so that musicians can blast their voices at us, but we can’t participate.  So easy, do it!  Do it now!