Question

Using Apple Automations to Group Sonos Speakers

• 30 September 2019
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Does anyone know of a way to use Apple Automations to group Sonos speakers? I have set up the Automation shown in the image, which streams music from Apple Music to a Sonos One in my hallway. However, I want to add a step between Set Playback Destination and Set Volume that groups my Hallway Sonos One with my other Sonos Ones, therefore streaming the music to multiple rooms.

Any ideas/help would be much appreciated.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Not sure if automations recognize groups from the home app but maybe group the rooms where the Sonos speakers are located together and have the playback destination pain to that...if that's possible. I will play around with that as it does like a cool idea. I am running homepods and Sonos. BRB with a possible solution I want to try it!...

I got nowhere... bummed multiple playback destinations didn't work either but I'm sure you tried that already anyway.😓
Maybe some scripting ingenuity!
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Thank you for the response, please let me know how you get on.

I would much rather airplay to all of my Sonos Ones, but for some reason when I AirPlay to multiple speakers they keep dropping out of sync. However, if I AirPlay to one speaker, then group them in the Sonos app, they stay in sync. Very annoying, as I cannot find a way to group my Sonos speakers using Automations.

Cheers.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
I only use airplay and at first I was getting out of sync when AP2 came out on Sonos but I let it keep playing and after about 2 or 3 minutes it caught up and has been working great! Works with mix of HomePod and Sonos. Jamming right now actually!! still working on some ideas for the multi playback.
Worst case scenario you can always start the automation and then once it starts playing go to the other Sonos and hold down the play/pause for about 3 seconds or until a chirp and it will then sync to the other Sonos. after that maybe it will stay grouped and play on both with the automation. Hope that makes sense.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Yeah that makes sense. Most of my Ones are mounted up high though, so can’t use the buttons.