Answered

Sonos - Alexa enabled devices

• 22 January 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hi!

If I buy a Sonos One Gen 2 and setup Alexa, will I be able to control any other alexa enabled devices, such as video doorbell or I will be able to control only this Sonos speaker?

Neven

icon

Best answer by UKMedia 22 January 2021, 12:18

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi!

If I buy a Sonos One Gen 2 and setup Alexa, will I be able to control any other alexa enabled devices, such as video doorbell or I will be able to control only this Sonos speaker?

Neven

Hi

The answer is that you’ll be able to control MOST devices but the definition of control is not consistent!  I have over 100 smart devices and most can be controlled via voice from my Sonos devices.  The inconsistency occurs with a sub set of Alexa Commands like Drop In, that won’t work via Sonos but switching switches, lights etc will work 100%.  Some audio outputs to Sonos devices may require a hub - I use the Hubitat hub to get around Alexa restrictions on what messages can be output on Sonos devices, e.g. My Ring door bell can only output to Echo devices without Hubitat.. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Nice! I only have an outdoor cam and a video doorbell, for now. And if I get an amazon echo show, i suppose in that case i can control everything, inclusing Sonos?

Neven

Nice! I only have an outdoor cam and a video doorbell, for now. And if I get an amazon echo show, i suppose in that case i can control everything, inclusing Sonos?

Neven

Yes, but don’t expect to be able to play the Echo Show and the Sonos speaker in sync.

I actually prefer to use a One SL and an Echo Dot, rather than a One.  That gives full Echo functionality but the Dot is just an input device for me, i wouldn’t dream of listening to music on it.

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Neven

Yes, but don’t expect to be able to play the Echo Show and the Sonos speaker in sync.

I actually prefer to use a One SL and an Echo Dot, rather than a One.  That gives full Echo functionality but the Dot is just an input device for me, i wouldn’t dream of listening to music on it.

Thank you very much for your help.

Neven