Answered

IFTTT - Stop all music in case of a Nest Protect smoke alarm emergency

• 7 February 2019
  • 3 replies

I'm confused by this IFTTT applet. I want to stop all music on ALL Sonos devices if ANY Nest Protect detects smoke. I'd assume this is what most people want to happen in an emergency, however the applet only allows you to select one Sonos device to stop and one Nest Protect to use as a trigger! Am I missing something obvious? Presumably you can't have multiple versions of the applet for all the different permutations?
icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 8 February 2019, 17:42

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Jables,

With the current IFTTT Sonos Applets (actions) you can only select one Sonos Room and also the other rooms that are already 'grouped' with it. So you need to group the rooms together first. You can obviously do that manually in the Sonos App, but...

There are possibly some workarounds to this with other IFTTT Applet actions.

Whilst researching your issue, one device/applet I discovered that apparently can group your speakers for you beforehand, is the Harmony Hub/Remote and their IFTTT Applet.

If you have such a Harmony Hub or Remote, you can do this by creating/running a 'Harmony Activity' in the My Harmony App, which will 'Group' your Sonos speakers together, but then not play a playlist ...The created Harmony 'Activity' can then be set as an Harmony Applet action in their Applet to trigger from your Nest Protect 'emergency' trigger etc. .. see my screenshot of the Harmony Applet trigger.

There maybe other devices and Applets that will do this, but not looked any further at this point in time..

I have not tried it myself, I don’t have a Nest Protect etc; but suspect it would work. Otherwise you may have to manually group your speakers, until Sonos extend their IFTTT Applets to somehow include grouping or at least all Sonos Speakers, which I’m reasonably hopeful might 'perhaps' happen at some point in the future.

Hope that helps ?
Thanks for looking into this. I don’t have Harnony but this has given me cause for hope that there might be a similar solution to this problem.
You can do this right now with SimpleCommands on ios, android or the web. Pick as many detectors as you want to monitor and mute as many sonos speakers as you would like. Alternatively you can have the speakers play an alarm sound if you want to or play the alarm sound then mute the speakers 🙂