Answered

Homekit music automation and controls unavalable

• 8 May 2021
  • 6 replies

I’ve been using Apple HomeKit Apple Home with Sonos for about 8 months. Home automation and controls worked great!  When I arrive home, turn on all lights and stat music everywhere.  When I want everything off it did it. Recently I’ve been unable to control Sonos in the Home app.  I just realized that when selecting the speaker it says controls are unavailable.

I use an AppleTV as the home hub.  It would usually turn on (including the TV) to make these commands possible.

now nothing.

things I’ve tried

logging in and out of iCloud

in and out of keychain

removed and added the speaker

turned off 5G on my router

unplugged and plugged the speaker

this behavior is consistent with all Sonos speakers

icon

Best answer by BucksCountyPanda 13 May 2021, 03:01

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @BucksCountyPanda, welcome to the Sonos Community!

I’m double checking this with our engineers, however I’m quite certain that control via the Home app has never been possible with Sonos, and that the integration only allows control of Sonos via Siri, as well as setting up automations, so this is expected behaviour.

Is it possible that you were previously seeing the AirPlay controls which are available when actively playing?

If you’re having trouble getting Siri to control Sonos playback, I’d recommend reaching out to the Support Team via live chat or phone call, so they can take a look at some diagnostics and perform live troubleshooting with you.

Let us know how you get on :)

i’m 1000% certain since we had automation setup in the home app to play apple music chill.  I’m able to set up the automation but i’m unable to actually successfully test it or use it.

We’ve been using this automation for about 8 months without issue.  We even used it to start up the Christmas lights and Christmas music!  Apple Senior Advisor has opened a ticket for me and I should be getting an update soon.  There have been several reported cases with this very issue suspected to be caused by a recent apple update that was released.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Understood @BucksCountyPanda, I was under the impression you were referring to general playback control (choosing and controlling music) via the Home app, apologies for any confusion.

In any case, glad to hear that Apple are aware of and working on getting this resolved for you :)

Figured it out. The AppleTV must be logged in to Apple music. You can confirm this by launching music on the Apple TV. Once it's logged in (subscription is not required) you can get Apple home kit automations for music.

Figured it out. The AppleTV must be logged in to Apple music. You can confirm this by launching music on the Apple TV. Once it's logged in (subscription is not required) you can get Apple home kit automations for music.

that is, in order for me to connect an epl tv, I must have a subscription to epl music? Can this be done remotely from the music?

Figured it out. The AppleTV must be logged in to Apple music. You can confirm this by launching music on the Apple TV via worktime . Once it's logged in (subscription is not required) you can get Apple home kit automations for music.

that is, in order for me to connect an epl tv, I must have a subscription to epl music? Can this be done remotely from the music?

Or through YouTube for example?