Answered

Google Assistant

• 13 February 2019
  • 46 replies

We have been hearing for over a year now regarding the Google Assistant integration. When is this going to happen? The Alexa assistance is horrible.
icon

Best answer by Smilja 13 February 2019, 16:44

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

46 replies

I just packaged up my Beam after 9 months and I am taking back to the store. Way too long. Sonos needs to simply provide a view of their programme and any issues. People are reasonable when there is 2 way communication. But currently there is no end in sight. Every rule of customer service has been thrown out the window here.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I just packaged up my Beam after 9 months and I am taking back to the store. Way too long. Sonos needs to simply provide a view of their programme and any issues. People are reasonable when there is 2 way communication. But currently there is no end in sight. Every rule of customer service has been thrown out the window here.

I wish i could also pack up my 4 sonos one speakers and get something else, but it's too late for me. No return after 50 days. 😞

I'm curious, what store allows returns after 9 months?
Badge +7
Sonos has great resale value, so list your items on the marketplace online. Otherwise, be patient.

I'd rather the official functionality be made available after all the bugs are worked out than beforehand.

Sonos never promised a specific timeline. I know it's frustrating, as do they, but complaining isn't going to change anything.
YES IT IS THERE!!! Finaly

aprilfools
Perhaps it will FINALLY be released at Google I/O next month. Would be HUGELY embarrassing if Sonos doesn't release this before Google (potentially) comes out with a new set of speakers. Not that it wasn't already embarrassing enough to miss the XMas shopping season in 2018, not to mention the huge loss of potential sales. Yes, I know, it's probably Google holding things up, but still...

https://www.inverse.com/article/54472-google-home-2019-could-smart-speaker-see-upgrade-to-compete-with-alexa
@spyderweb... for the most part you are not necessarily wrong with what you say... but when you apply context... it falls apart... patience,,, define patience... personnally, I have been patient for mmmm about 16 months... so just what is the definition of patience. In 16 months, I have built a house... I have had 2 grandchildren... I have started, built and sold a business... I have flown across the Atlantic 20 times... so we are saying be patient, because it takes more than a year to integrate... so... what is patient... 6 more months, 12 ?? 24 ?? just what is patient...how long does it take to integrate ??? Thanks for listening to my rant.... and yes... I am at the point of reselling my sonos... for how much... time will tell.. I will once again have to be patient... I personally think I have been patient... but then, everything is in the definition...
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Hmm, another 6 weeks down the drain. Should be getting the next blog soon, pushing the GA integration back again. The real sad thing is, we already know they don't even have the confidence to deliver full integration, and have already been talking down expectations. What a joke. Was at Costco the other day, and behind the service desk was two returned Beams in different carts. Kind of telling. OK, apologists, your turn. I'll be back around the end of May with another NON-Progress Report. Lol.
Badge +7
@spyderweb... for the most part you are not necessarily wrong with what you say... but when you apply context... it falls apart... patience,,, define patience... personnally, I have been patient for mmmm about 16 months... so just what is the definition of patience. In 16 months, I have built a house... I have had 2 grandchildren... I have started, built and sold a business... I have flown across the Atlantic 20 times... so we are saying be patient, because it takes more than a year to integrate... so... what is patient... 6 more months, 12 ?? 24 ?? just what is patient...how long does it take to integrate ??? Thanks for listening to my rant.... and yes... I am at the point of reselling my sonos... for how much... time will tell.. I will once again have to be patient... I personally think I have been patient... but then, everything is in the definition...

Understood. As somebody heavily invested in the Google ecosystem, I also hope it's sooner than later.

Trusting it's mostly Google causing the delays but obviously most roads travel in pairs. Hope you find an amicable solution, regardless.
i bought a Sonos beam in early 2019 well aware that google assistant was work in progress....paid a lot of it cuz i was convinced by the sound quality. BUT I regret it now because I need and want google assistant in my living room and it is really said that it takes so long to work. The worst part is, that is does even have a line in....

so please Sonos if you read this - GET IT TO WORK FASTER.... I have alread tought about selling it.

PS: I wrote the Customer support earlier on and their answer was rather rude and short...so in the future when considering buying speakers I will not consider sonos again....please start learning that witought great customer support the product is worthless....
Patrick Spence, at the 2nd Q conference call, May 9, 2019:
...As we're making Google Assistant available on Sonos in the United States next week. Existing One and Beam customers will be able to download Google Assistant or if you have a Google Home device, you'd be able to use that to control your Sonos.

Its about time. Been waiting for 18 months.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Wow. Had almost given up tbh. Out in US today. When will it be available in the UK sonos?
July
Badge +7
Released today, some helpful TIPS from Sonos.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Wow. Had almost given up tbh. Out in US today. When will it be available in the UK sonos?

or can we change our machine to look like they are in the US to get the update 🙂
Some additional info here
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Link to location where it is available
Google Assistant availability on Sonos locations

Wow. Had almost given up tbh. Out in US today. When will it be available in the UK sonos?or can we change our machine to look like they are in the US to get the update :)

Anyone know if we can "fool" Sonos to get update when not located in US?
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
On the other hand, we have been able to cast from google play music to sonos on android since 2013,

My experience over recent months is that this functionality (GPM Android casting to Sonos) is steadily deteriorating.

I'm assuming that stuff is getting unintentionally broken by slight changes to code or APIs that are relied upon for the integration, but that because GPM is being sunsetted, the breakages aren't getting much/any attention to fix them.

Certainly my own experience of GPM casting to Sonos has gone from being very robust to pretty flakey over the past 6-9 months.

For example, a few weeks back the casting icons no longer function (display) correctly so you cannot tell at a glance what's going on; the skipping of tracks as they neared the end seems mercily to have abated for now; casting has become unreliable such that it can be possible for the phone to be simultaneously playing and casting the same track (with slight delay) and it being impossible to control (eg. to stop) the instance of the track playing on the phone.

In short, the previously excellent GPM/Sonos integration seems to be "going down the tubes". Probably because development effort is going on the Youtubes(!) not GPM, but maybe just a manifestation of developers spread too thin and/or management insufficiently interested in ensuring good customer experience.
[...] In short, the previously excellent GPM/Sonos integration seems to be "going down the tubes". Probably because development effort is going on the Youtubes(!) not GPM, but maybe just a manifestation of developers spread too thin and/or management insufficiently interested in ensuring good customer experience.

Sonos is not in charge of programming the various music service interfaces; Google itself is responsible for the GPM & the Youtube Music integration on Sonos.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Google assistant intergration has brought sonos back to life in my house, give it a go when you can.
Still can't get bbc iplayer on sonos though 😭