Feature request: Custom Voice Assistant

• 2 May 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1

As Smart Home enthusiast i want to control my home by voice without the cloud. 

There are solutions like rhasspy (https://rhasspy.readthedocs.io/en/latest/) for this. 

But there is no out of the box Hardware like Sonos Speakers which can be used for input. 

To not reinventing the wheel for every solution of this kind a streaming server as option for voice assistants would be very helpfull. So each third party service can hookup this stream and do its thing with the audio.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

As Smart Home enthusiast i want to control my home by voice without the cloud. 

There are solutions like rhasspy (https://rhasspy.readthedocs.io/en/latest/) for this. 

But there is no out of the box Hardware like Sonos Speakers which can be used for input. 

To not reinventing the wheel for every solution of this kind a streaming server as option for voice assistants would be very helpfull. So each third party service can hookup this stream and do its thing with the audio.

What about Sonos Voice Control? That’s non-cloud. Or are you asking for control of other items?

Userlevel 1

Or are you asking for control of other items?

Yes, my home not only the sonos speaker. 

As much as I would like for Sonos to do something like this, I can’t see it happening.  There just isn’t an open source voice assistant that’s easy to use (for typical Sonos consumer) and that is widely popular enough for Sonos to develop an interface with it.  It’s a significant cost that is unlikely to result in increase sales.   Maybe it can happen one day, but not any time soon.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Jey Cee 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Thank you - I've marked this thread as a feature request and it will be seen by the relevant teams for consideration. Keep the ideas coming!

As unlikely as this is, it would be hugely helpful for a lot of people that own Sonos gear and use Home Assistant. Hopefully Sonos adds this. Thanks @Corry P 

Userlevel 2

I bought a One gen2 in the hope of being able to control my home automation with home assistant because I don't like solutions that go through the cloud, like Alexa and Google Home, which by the way should change its name like Google Assistant Bard?