Answered

Cannot group Sonos system with Google Home devices

Userlevel 4
Badge
Sonos,

After all this waiting. And after multiple articles. And after multiple phone calls to your service reps (including today), I’m now being told that you cannot group your Sonos system devices with your Google Home devices (after being told for months and more than a year that the aid be able to group them). Even the rep I spoke with today tried to help me and didn’t find out it wasn’t possible until he spoke to a system engineer. You can do it with Amazon devices, but STILL not with Google devices

In all honesty, what is the point of adding Google assistant to Sonos if you can’t even use Sonos speakers with Google Speakers together in a group? It’s pretty useless for me to be in living room, have to get up and walk to my kitchen to say “hey google, play x in my Living Room” and then walk back.
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 15 May 2019, 00:50

View original

218 replies

This would likely be one of two things, or a combination of both. First, the method by which data is transmitted to each device is different, and second, Google doesn’t want to allow Sonos into their ‘walled’ garden, so that Google gets the hardware sales, not Sonos.

Given the legal issues between the two companies, I wouldn’t expect this to change any time soon. 

I am pretty sure Sonos doesn’t want it’s customer to pick Google speakers to fill out their Sonos system either.  Although Sonos does support Apple airplay.

Two years later, can this be done? Can we link google/nest speakers and Sonos speakers? 

So far, Google has not implemented it. 

I just quit Amazon and decided in all rooms except kitchen and living room to replace my echos with Sonos roam or Sonos One SL. I wish I would've read this article first. I love the speakers but might have to return them. Can't afford another almost 1000$ just to replace those rooms with Sonos equivalent right now. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@Kaluju Beats This thread is about Google Home devices - I’m not sure Alexa on Sonos works in the same way Google does and would also make it impossible to command grouping with Amazon devices.

As I'm not an Alexa user , maybe someone else can shed a light on this….

Just got my Arc and was so confused why I could not use my Google home app to control it. It sounds great but I think this is a basic requirement to be called smart. I don’t even think the process is complicated and feels like it is intentional.

Wonder what their angle is, I am forced to login into to all the services I wish to use it is so bizarre. My wife likes listening to the radio and work fine with the Bose 900 and my other Google speakers. However, the arc forces you to login. Why! Just work like all the other speakers!

Unbelievable. This Move speaker is going STRAIGHT back to the store. Total horse manure. I have JBL and other manufacturer’s speakers grouped together, so I don’t believe this is an issue on the Google side. So long Sonos!

Unbelievable. This Move speaker is going STRAIGHT back to the store. Total horse manure. I have JBL and other manufacturer’s speakers grouped together, so I don’t believe this is an issue on the Google side. So long Sonos!

Take care!  Brush your hair!  

You must not be aware of the legal tussle between the two companies. So far, Google has been on the losing side, however just this week there have been new lawsuits. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

The big disappointment for me is that I just wanted to be able to say to google “play 96FM on home group” and have it play on all my sonos speakers throughout the house like I use to do with all my google speakers but sonos cant even be bothered to support this on their own speakers. Can’t  have sonos voice and google assistant running at the same time so cant even use the sonos voice command to bring the music into a room because i have to choose between the voice systems if I choose sonos then the rest of my home automation doesn’t work. Sonos know exactly what they are doing here this is a gigantic marketing scam, for the price I have paid for sonos equipment I feel completely ripped off how can I recommend Sonos to anyone when the basics are not there? 

The big disappointment for me is that I just wanted to be able to say to google “play 96FM on home group” and have it play on all my sonos speakers throughout the house like I use to do with all my google speakers but sonos cant even be bothered to support this on their own speakers. Can’t  have sonos voice and google assistant running at the same time so cant even use the sonos voice command to bring the music into a room because i have to choose between the voice systems if I choose sonos then the rest of my home automation doesn’t work. Sonos know exactly what they are doing here this is a gigantic marketing scam, for the price I have paid for sonos equipment I feel completely ripped off how can I recommend Sonos to anyone when the basics are not there? 

Are you sure about the bolded?  Because I have both Alexa and Sonos Voice running on my system and it works just fine.  So if Google and Sonos Voice cannot coexist, it would logically follow that it is a limitation imposed by Google, not Sonos. 

It is indeed a restriction imposed by Google. 

I don’t mind manually grouping my devices to play, but this would be a really nice feature - and seeing as this thread is 3 years old I sure won’t hold my breath. Google’s assistant seems to get worse by the day.

What I would like is for the assistant to recognize when two devices are paired OR if there’s not music playing. Egs: “Garage 1 (stereo pair) and Garage 2 (another stereo pair) are paired and playing music, and I say ‘pause music in garage’ - it comes back with “Would you like to pause music on Garage Sonos 1 or Garage Sonos 2” DUHDUHHHH. The other hilarious one is I have a routine that dims my lights and pauses my bedroom music - If I run the routine without any music playing it prompt with “There’s a problem in the bedroom”. Funny but tiresome several years into using the same devices.

Sonos,

After all this waiting. And after multiple articles. And after multiple phone calls to your service reps (including today), I’m now being told that you cannot group your Sonos system devices with your Google Home devices (after being told for months and more than a year that the aid be able to group them). Even the rep I spoke with today tried to help me and didn’t find out it wasn’t possible until he spoke to a system engineer. You can do it with Amazon devices, but STILL not with Google devices

In all honesty, what is the point of adding Google assistant to Sonos if you can’t even use Sonos speakers with Google Speakers together in a group? It’s pretty useless for me to be in living room, have to get up and walk to my kitchen to say “hey google, play x in my Living Room” and then walk back.

If you have an Android, you set your dual/separate audio to a sonos speaker  and connect to it via Bluetooth and then connect to a google home speaker via Bluetooth. Then you can go into your google home and play on all google speakers. The downside is that you can only get the one sonos to play with google Groups.

Can someone confirm that this has still not been fixed, 4 years later? 🤔

I was 1 click away from buying a Sonos One (Gen2) and a Sonos Move, as I am not happy with the sound quality from some of my google assistant devices.

But cancel that!

You can not group Sonos speaker with other speakers for multiroom playback, using google assistant? 

That makes this speaker useless for me

Can someone confirm that this is still not possible? I have google assistant devices in all my rooms and I just want Sonos speakers in my living room and kitchen for better sound there. 

Can someone confirm that this has still not been fixed, 4 years later? 🤔

I was 1 click away from buying a Sonos One (Gen2) and a Sonos Move, as I am not happy with the sound quality from some of my google assistant devices.

But cancel that!

You can not group Sonos speaker with other speakers for multiroom playback, using google assistant? 

That makes this speaker useless for me

Can someone confirm that this is still not possible? I have google assistant devices in all my rooms and I just want Sonos speakers in my living room and kitchen for better sound there. 

You’ve never been able to group Sonos speakers with any other brand speakers. It’s not broken because it’s never been a promised feature.  You also cannot group Amazon and GA speakers.  Or Apple Homepods with GA speakers. 

Other than Apple’s airplay, which has it’s issues and isn’t usable without an iOS device or AppleTV, there is no universal multiroom audio standard that all companies use.  Nothing indicates that we are close to one developing anytime soon.

Well this sucks. The salesperson said it would hook up to Alexa and play in groups so I can play the same music in all areas of the house. One of the deciding factors versus Bose. I have a Bose soundbar and it doesn’t show up in groups also. What a mess, wouldn’t have bought it if I had the right information. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

This thread is about Google groups, not Alexa. You could check elsewhere at the forum for Alexa groups on Sonos.