Apple home Automation to start music when I got home, nice surprise

• 7 February 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I have made a simple automation with Apple Home on iPhone to start music when I got home. I have an Apple TV to manage Apple Home. It has worked at first attempt and also I made an interesting discover.

Basically the music is played from the Apple TV and airplayed to my Beam and One, but the Apple TV stays off (at least: the led light is off). also the TV has not been turned on.

So it seems that the Apple TV is capable of airplaying music without turning on the TV, but only with an automation. would be nice to use this features also from Apple Music, this would be a very good alternative to Sonos App, because basically your smartphone is not streaming anything, just link with the Sonos app

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Eriksatie 

Thanks for sharing your discovery!

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

One thing to note on this… after the automation runs, via shortcut or home automation, the default audio will sometimes not revert back to the ATV setting and may still connect to the Sonos speaker from the automation. In my case I ran an automation to airplay to the roam in my bathroom spa. The connected home hub  was the living room ATV at the time. After the automation was ended I turned on the living room tv and the audio was still airplaying to the bathroom and not the ARC connected to the TV. 

Just a heads up so you don’t think there is something wrong with your Soundbar. Other wise it works great! If you have a HomePod that is listed as the home hub when running the automation it works great. Only when the ATV is being used ads the Home hub. Just my experience anyways. Beem like that since iOS 14

So cool to read this! I’ve had HomeKit automation for Sonos music work without turning on the Apple TV (which turns on the tv), but recently it’s been turning on the tv too. I’ve played with a bunch of settings and variables, and a few calls to apple support. Any other settings you can share for your HomeKit automation I might be missing out on to try? (I’ve even bought a HomePod as the primary hub, and it still turns on the tv, same thing with the tv turning on - I’m resisting a full reset of the HomeKit!) regardless thanks for sharing!