Sonos Arc Placement: Directly Under TV?

• 16 August 2021
  • 5 replies

Is this setup recommended?  The poster has mounted his Arc directly under the TV and pushed the soundbar forward so that none of the speaker is covered (here’s a pic).

I’m having an Arc mounted on an MM540 Mantel Mount under a Sony 75” TV this week.  There’s a lot of ambiguity about the optimal setup.  On the Sonos Arc wallmount marketing page they say the Sonos must sit 4” below the TV.  On the installation page, one sentence says 4” below and a few steps down it says 5.5” below. 

Elsewhere (that I can’t put my hands on right now) I’ve seen it recommended that the Arc be 2” in front of the TV if it’s directly below it; which seems to be in conflict with the way this redditor set it up.

I don’t have the luxury of mounting, trying it out and remounting if it doesn’t work, but would like to minimize distance between TV and Arc if at all possible.

Thoughts?  Thanks in advance.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7

The setup pictured in the photo should be ok. I would have left a little more space in between the TV and Arc though especially if you want access to the buttons or microphone on top of the Arc.

The most important thing is to not block the upward and side-firing drivers of the Arc. Here is a diagram of the placement of the drivers:

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I’ve fooled with my Arc placement (below) a bit, aside from Atmos mode I couldn’t tell any difference. 

Almost touching the TV bottom and pushed slightly under it.

Almost touching the TV bottom and an inch in front of the TV screen.

About 4 inches below the TV bottom and pushed slightly under it. (no stands)

About 4 inches below the TV bottom and an inch in front of the TV screen. (no stands)

About 2 inches below the TV bottom and the two positions front to back. (with stands)

About 2 inches below the TV bottom and four inches in front of the TV screen. (with stands)

The last is the maximum my space will allow.

With Atmos content the 4 inches above and inch in front seems to give a bit more emphasis on the height information but it is really hard to A/B this due to the delays in moving the Arc.

I ended up going with the 2 inches of space below the TV and sitting about 4 inches in front of the screen.

The Arc is on some 2 inch tall stands to get it to work on my TV cabinet and with my Sanus TV stand. The stands also should to help reduce sound reflections from the TV cabinet surface.

The forward 4 inch location is when the screen is square to the stand and Arc, but we often rotate the TV to reduce glare so it is flush on one side and 8 inches back on the other. Really can’t hear a sound difference straight or rotated which is good enough for my needs.

@stanley can you share a picture? I’m not sure what you mean by 2” stands that your Arc sits on. I’m trying to see if I have enough room to put my arc on a cabinet that is directly under my wall mounted TV. (About 4” of gap between the cabinet top and bottom of TV

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

These are the stands, I can’t recommend them as I got two pair, both were damaged in shipping due to poor packing and easily chipped paint. The feet also stick to your cabinet better than the stands. See the reviews.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08JCD91D1

That said I’m happy with the pair I stripped and repainted and the replacement feet I added.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Stands as shipped

poor packing - chipped paint - ugly