Skip to main content

Today we are introducing the most extensive app redesign ever, creating an unprecedented streaming experience that allows listeners to organize their favorite playlists, stations, albums and more from over 100 services on one customizable Home screen.

Home Screen

The new Home screen provides faster access to Sonos system controls with one easy swipe up, making tab to tab jumping a thing of the past. As a leader in sound experience that’s focused on creating a better way to listen, Sonos intentionally redesigned the app on a modern software platform for an easier, faster and better experience that can support more rapid innovation.

The reimagined app supports all existing S2 products and will be available globally through a software update for the S2 mobile app.

100+ streaming services, one Home screen

The redesigned Sonos app prioritizes a listening experience that’s human - allowing you to bring your true favorites front and center and giving you more control to make your streaming experience your own.

• Get into your music (and off the app) faster: No need to tap between tabs — the new Home screen serves up all your favorite content and controls, all in one place. Quickly jump back into your recently played, browse libraries and recommendations from your preferred services, and fill your home with music and all the sounds you love.
  • Customize and curate: Enjoy unparalleled curation by designing your Home screen to reflect how you listen. Pin rows of your favorite content and services; then move, edit, or rearrange them to your liking.
  • Search every streaming library: Look for an artist, song, podcast, or audiobook across all your preferred streaming apps at once via an easy-to-use search bar that’s always available right on your Home screen.
  • Elevated system control: Swipe up from the bottom of your Home screen to seamlessly control your entire system and access a visual overview of what’s playing on each of your products, quickly group speakers, and dial in on the perfect volume from anywhere in the app. 

Accessible from any modern web browser, a brand new web app allows listeners the same seamless system control as the mobile app.

The new Web App

The Web App will be available alongside the redesigned mobile app on May 7, 2024.

Want to find out more about the new Sonos App? Have a look at the Info Hub section of the community for a complete rundown of the new user interface.

Here you can find the full press release. 

Where are my playlists in the new S2 app?

The new iOS app and the web app look mostly very good. Early days but I have noticed that when you go into Sonos Favourites - Playlists - View All and select a playlist to look at its contents, when you go back to Playlists it takes you right back to the top instead of intuitively keeping you where you were - which is a real pain if you have a long list of playlists. 

(For example, I call each of my Christmas Playlists “Yuletide xxxxx” so that they all remain grouped together at the bottom as I don’t need them the rest of the year. If I scroll down the playlists and go into a Yuletide one, then go out again, I am returned to the top!!).

Maybe it was always like this? Either way, it could certainly do with a tweak when the various amends are actioned…

ALSO - when will we get the chance to Categorise our playlists under our own headings (e.g. “Coffee”, “Party”, “Chill”, “Christmas”) instead of one long continuous list?! I’ve been asking for this for years...

Where are my playlists in the new S2 app?

Also under Favorites. It just took some for them to appear...

I found a strange bug. When I’m playing an album and switch to a new track on another album in my music library, the app thinks I’m still choosing songs from the first album. The strange thing is this only seems to happen when I choose an album with a special character in the album title like a forward slash or colon.

I seem to be missing the Trueplay toggle for my Arc, Move and Roam. Used to be under settings and sound for each device but can't seem to locate it now after the update.

I seem to be missing the Trueplay toggle for my Arc, Move and Roam. Used to be under settings and sound for each device but can't seem to locate it now after the update.

I click “Settings”, then select the room the Arc is in, and then scroll down - directly under the word Sound is Trueplay. Is that not where it is for you? Or are you meaning something different?

Thanks but no thanks. I'll wait until a better received less buggy update 

If you use an iPhone SE with a smaller screen, you can’t use the new web app because the screen size is “unsupported”.

Same for Pixel 7 Pro. Is it only designed for use with a desktop PC?

The existing app has, for the first time ever, been running like a dream for the past 6 months. 

Reading nightmare posts here and elsewhere about the new app. I have disabled the auto-update of it on both of my Android devices. Doesn't seem like it's been tested properly and all this nonsense about how some existing features will be added at a later date. Sonos has been as clear as mud about this new app. Very amateurish. They're 100% catering for the "What's trending" and "Sonos, play a Happy Friday Music playlist!" crowd now.

Thanks but no thanks. I'll wait until a better received less buggy update 

Good to know. 

The web app looks prettier than the Mac and PC apps but thats about it.  Its a lot harder to use, slower, and it's missing some serious functionality:

1  How do I add a song or group of songs to the now playing queue?  Is the now play queue even on the web app?  Actually the ability to add songs to the now playing queue seems to be gone from the iPhone app as well.  The only option is to “replace queue”. 

2  The album and artist lists take a full hour to load my library and has to re-index this list each time I open the web app. That make browsing music this way impossible. Yes, I have a large library (several thousand albums) but come on, that’s pretty common for music obsessives that use Sonos.

3  When browsing and choosing an album there is no button to go back to the album list.  They. X button takes you back to the home page and you have to navigate.  Super clunky.

And this is after just a few hours of use so I’m guessing there will be a lot more of these issues. I get why Sonos wants to switch to this system (it reduces development headaches by making everything but the Android and iOS phone apps the same). But the new phone apps are a step backwards and the web app is totally not ready to replace the Mac and PC apps. If they are going to sunset there old apps Sonos has a lot of work to do.

I just went and turned off auto update on my husband’s phone because the more I look at them the more I realize neither of these apps were really ready for prime time. I’m sort of upset that I updated my phone because now I have an app thats missing basic functionality that I used all the time.  Not being able to add music to the now playing queue or reorganize music in the queue is a total deal killer.  What was Sonos thinking? 

If you use an iPhone SE with a smaller screen, you can’t use the new web app because the screen size is “unsupported”.

It was designed for desktops and tablets.  While I get that the screen size has an impact, I hope they come out with a mobile version of the web app since the main app is not usable unless you’re connect to your home network.

Alarms are completely absent from the new web app.

It was designed for desktops and tablets.

It doesn't work on my 9.7" Samsung Galaxy tablet.

@castalla if you request Desktop Site in your browser it should bypass the screen size check.

1  How do I add a song or group of songs to the now playing queue?  Is the now play queue even on the web app?  Actually the ability to add songs to the now playing queue seems to be gone from the iPhone app as well.  The only option is to “replace queue”. 

On the web app, the Now Playing queue is to the left of the volume slider. It can take a short time to appear.

However, to your point, on the web app if I select a track from another album or playlist, intending to add it to the Now Playing queue, the three dots next to the track won’t allow me to click on them (circle with line through) so I can’t do anything with the track. And on the iOS version, if I click the three dots next to a track, it barely gives me any options other than Saving to Sonos Favourites. I’m sure it used to offer me the chance to Play Next, add to Queue, go to Artist, go to Album, etc…

3  When browsing and choosing an album there is no button to go back to the album list.  They. X button takes you back to the home page and you have to navigate.  Super clunky.

Yes, you’re right - on the web app, when perusing an album, if you then close that album, it doesn't take you back to the album list. Needs attention. 

Anyone on Android update yet? Thoughts? Web app on my computer doesn't seem to work very well with my local music collection or my Plex. :-(

I can see my playlists and my same playlists under Sonos Favorites but neither one lets you select them to play? No shuffle button.. not nothing… click on a track in either one and nothing happens? 

@Rhonny Also, notice the ability to reorder the now playing queue is gone from both the web and phone apps.  So if you just woke up and your phone updated the app without you knowing it you are going to be one angry customer when you realize there is no way to create and organize a queue on the fly anymore.  This is basic stuff that previously was there ands just ins’t anymore.  

And you are right the three dots menu used to have a lot more options (add to end of queue, add to library, add to playlist, etc). All thats gone now.  Only “replace queue” remains. 😠

@Rhonny Also, notice the ability to reorder the now playing queue is gone from both the web and phone apps.  So if you just woke up and your phone updated the app without you knowing it you are going to be one angry customer when you realize there is no way to create and organize a queue on the fly anymore.  This is basic stuff that previously was there ands just ins’t anymore.  

And you are right the three dots menu used to have a lot more options (add to end of queue, add to library, add to playlist, etc). All thats gone now.  Only “replace queue” remains. 😠

Quite! The ability to re-order a queue has always been an essential function. Why would that be taken away?

And how do you now Edit a queue to remove a song, or Clear a queue??!

Hi. Sadly I think I’ve found a major issue. I’ve just updated to new version of app on iPad and discovered that when I use amp to play vinyl from linked turntable I’m unable to then get back to any associated playlists I had on that device. On the previous version of the app I could simply click on the two bars in top right and that would bring up the queue to allow me to go back to playing streamed music. 
Can this be logged as a ‘bug’ and addressed in the future?

Thanks, David

I click “Settings”, then select the room the Arc is in, and then scroll down - directly under the word Sound is Trueplay. Is that not where it is for you? Or are you meaning something different?

It used to be there, under the word sound, before I did the update but it's no longer appearing there after I did the update. The Arc may need Trueplay recalibration for it to appear again and as I am using a Pixel phone I will need to do that using an iOS device. However as the Roam and Move have auto Trueplay that toggle should be there, under sound (in their respective rooms), but it's not. It was there before I did the update!

This is the screenshot for the Move

..and Arc

Long-time dedicated Sonos user here, back to the days of the CR200 physical controller. This rollout is horribly reminiscent to the bungled S1/S2 “you didn’t really want to use your 5-year-old gear” brouhaha.

Did anyone at Sonos try using the new mobile app and web app with a local music library? It doesn’t look like it, as the functionality is knee capped, to say the least.

Ditto the alarm function, which is MIA. Small thing maybe, but forgetting about it?

Really disappointing. Really frustrating.

Can you please add the option to remove Sonos Radio!

Anyone on Android update yet? Thoughts? Web app on my computer doesn't seem to work very well with my local music collection or my Plex. :-(

I can see my playlists and my same playlists under Sonos Favorites but neither one lets you select them to play? No shuffle button.. not nothing… click on a track in either one and nothing happens? 

On android, I can see Plex music, browse around, and select something to play.  I don’t see the ability to shuffle...however, a shuffle of plex is in my recently played list, and that option appears to work.

Note, I am not at home so I can’t confirm music is actually playing, just that the app is reacting.

I just downloaded the new v80 Sonos S2 app and first impression is not too good. Hope they change this soon. This is what is found

1. The app gives an error when trying to play a radiostation on MyTuner Radio service in the Recently played section. 
  2. Some contact card are so big that when you want to swipe down to close it, I open the Homescreen/Lockscreen of my iPhone.
  3. When I want to play a radio station from the Favorites section an additional unnecessary card is opened with only a Play button. Why not start playing without opening this screen?
  4. The favorites are now mixed. So Spotify and RadioStation favorites are in one list. That is annoying. 
  5. The list of favorites is not sorted in any way neither can they be ordered according to my favorites. 
  6. The room for the name of the system on top of the Home Screen is very limited and so, it is always abbreviated with dots.  

What is your annoyance?

Quite! The ability to re-order a queue has always been an essential function. Why would that be taken away?

And how do you now Edit a queue to remove a song, or Clear a queue??!

You seriously can't edit or add to a queue?