Skip to main content

Today we are introducing the most extensive app redesign ever, creating an unprecedented streaming experience that allows listeners to organize their favorite playlists, stations, albums and more from over 100 services on one customizable Home screen.

Home Screen

The new Home screen provides faster access to Sonos system controls with one easy swipe up, making tab to tab jumping a thing of the past. As a leader in sound experience that’s focused on creating a better way to listen, Sonos intentionally redesigned the app on a modern software platform for an easier, faster and better experience that can support more rapid innovation.

The reimagined app supports all existing S2 products and will be available globally through a software update for the S2 mobile app.

100+ streaming services, one Home screen

The redesigned Sonos app prioritizes a listening experience that’s human - allowing you to bring your true favorites front and center and giving you more control to make your streaming experience your own.

• Get into your music (and off the app) faster: No need to tap between tabs — the new Home screen serves up all your favorite content and controls, all in one place. Quickly jump back into your recently played, browse libraries and recommendations from your preferred services, and fill your home with music and all the sounds you love.
  • Customize and curate: Enjoy unparalleled curation by designing your Home screen to reflect how you listen. Pin rows of your favorite content and services; then move, edit, or rearrange them to your liking.
  • Search every streaming library: Look for an artist, song, podcast, or audiobook across all your preferred streaming apps at once via an easy-to-use search bar that’s always available right on your Home screen.
  • Elevated system control: Swipe up from the bottom of your Home screen to seamlessly control your entire system and access a visual overview of what’s playing on each of your products, quickly group speakers, and dial in on the perfect volume from anywhere in the app. 

Accessible from any modern web browser, a brand new web app allows listeners the same seamless system control as the mobile app.

The new Web App

The Web App will be available alongside the redesigned mobile app on May 7, 2024.

Want to find out more about the new Sonos App? Have a look at the Info Hub section of the community for a complete rundown of the new user interface.

Here you can find the full press release. 

This release is a disaster. I typically have a high tolerance for change management when updates release but this is ridiculous. A slap in the face to loyal customers. I’ve been proselytizing SONOS for years but no more. For how much this gear costs, the customer shouldn’t be subjected to incomplete product launches like this.

Launching w/o the ability to edit or add to queue (without having to completely replace current queue) is insane. The most basic strength of Sonos control, gone? We have to wait until July for it?! Unacceptable.

I have no Amazon Music showing in the web or mobile app any more. I have reinstalled the Sonos app, the Amazon Music app, deauthorised, reauthorised and nothing has made it work. It was fine until the update. I cannot now search and play for music on my £900 era system with my paid for Amazon Unlimited subscription. Can this be sorted out rapidly please? If not, you need to roll the app back. It literally isn’t working!

Apple or Android app aside... How can the new simple web app be missing the simple play and shuffle buttons on just about everything I select from my favorite play lists to music genres?!?! But as you can see they conveniently have for Streaming services ... That I setup just to test if this was indeed the case 🤯

I’m the same, Amazon music has disappeared. Cannot search or play . I’ve tried customer support on line and I’ve been told to call customer service in the morning. Done all of the obvious, deleted app, re installed, turned everything off and deleted Amazon music and re installed but no joy

If not, you need to roll the app back. It literally isn’t working!

Good call! They really should give us the option to roll back the app to prior version. Waiting several months for restored features to trickle out is an insult to their customers.

The recent update to this music streaming (web?) app has been a frustrating experience. Its sluggish performance and convoluted navigation make even basic tasks like playing music on a speaker needlessly complex. What was once a straightforward and user-friendly app has become overly complicated, with multiple layers obscuring simple functions. 

While I understand the intent may have been to give the app a sleek, modern feel akin to a podcast or music player, this update misses the mark. Removing useful features like the volume number display was an odd decision, as it was a functionality I relied on daily. 

These issues have me reconsidering any planned purchases. I've been a supporter and user of Sonos for more than 10 years. Streamlined usability with previous features restored should be the top priority. It feels this was a rushed MVP to support a new product with features cut to get the app out in time. 

Being able to add and edit the queue was one of the best things about the app. Especially the fact that you could choose tracks from different sources /services, fill up the queue and it would just play was amazing. I can't come up with any reason to think it would be okay to just take that out. 

It’s unacceptable that basic features won’t be available for months. They should roll back the update and wait with the update until they have feature parity. 

Being able to add and edit the queue was one of the best things about the app. Especially the fact that you could choose tracks from different sources /services, fill up the queue and it would just play was amazing. I can't come up with any reason to think it would be okay to just take that out. 

100% agree! That was the OG feature that made the Sonos app so powerful and convinced me to originally to buy their products. This release is such a disgrace!

Shame on you Sonos!

Where is the wake up alarm? Where is the sleep timer? You can’t just remove vital functions from your app and don’t give us the option to roll back! That’s theft. Most apps are getting better over time but Sonos is getting worse and worse. We invested heavily in good sounding Sonos audio hardware but the current app makes that pretty useless now. It’s very very slow and often irresponsive. Volume control used to be smooth and easy now completely erratic. And no volume control via phone buttons? And still no widgets? Not good enough Sonos. You can say it will be updated in the future but it’s garbage now so in the meantime give us the option to get the old app with alarm and sleep timer!

Where on earth are the Timer and Alarm settings through the IOS app?? These are very basic features that is a requirement of such supposedly high end products used for and by a family of listeners of all ages. How long will it take to fix??

This release is a disaster. I typically have a high tolerance for change management when updates release but this is ridiculous. A slap in the face to loyal customers. I’ve been proselytizing SONOS for years but no more. For how much this gear costs, the customer shouldn’t be subjected to incomplete product launches like this.

Launching w/o the ability to edit or add to queue (without having to completely replace current queue) is insane. The most basic strength of Sonos control, gone? We have to wait until July for it?! Unacceptable.

I agree. This upgrade is total disaster. Most features have disappeared. First they removed the local music support and required us to use a network storage and  now you can no longer see an option to edit system library or reindex. If they don't fix this or revert back to the old version I'll never buy another Sonos product and discourage anyone who is considering  to buy one.

I don't have a Google account. But can someone email Google that the Sonos app in the Google Play Store, to the terms of the Google store because it is not working properly. Sonos is not going to do this even after 16 pages of negative comments. Then Google just need to put back the penultimate version. I just want to listen to music and am not a "paid" beta tester who can now do almost nothing. Apparently, big companies these days have s*** on their customers, but it's starting to end now.

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

FEEDBACK

Two things regarding custom stream URLs.
I already know that I now need to do this directly inside the TuneIN app, rather than from the new Sonos app. However, I’ve identified two issues:

1. Custom streams cannot be assigned a custom name. They only show up as their full URL in the app. In the old app, if I added a customer URL stream station from TuneIN (new) favorites to Sonos favorites, I could assign a custom name. I see no way to do this in either the new app, or web-app.
  2. Favorites from the old TuneIN service are still displayed in a ‘greyed’ icon. Nothing happens when I long-press on them, and I cannot remove them! So, they simply clutter up the UI!

Hopefully this can be sorted in a future update.

Many thanks!

Oof. 

Just oof. 

So much functionality removed. UI is a mess. UX is atrocious. Nothing improved. Slower performance. All so we have a fresh home screen and play.sonos.com. I’ve been using Sonos for over 15 years and have suffered through some bad updates, but this is something special and has me starting to consider moving to other systems. 

Shame, Sonos. Shame. 

Need a link to the old version

Oof. 

Just oof. 

So much functionality removed. UI is a mess. UX is atrocious. Nothing improved. Slower performance. All so we have a fresh home screen and play.sonos.com. I’ve been using Sonos for over 15 years and have suffered through some bad updates, but this is something special and has me starting to consider moving to other systems. 

Shame, Sonos. Shame. 

Eh, they’ll fix it eventually.  I don’t think May 7th as the release date was accidental, as it was also the date of their q2 fiscal update.  So the egg heads in finance probably nixed any delay on releasing the software, as it would then become the talk of the financial update.  All this backlash by users is now AFTER that update -- so they can address it and hope investors won’t use it to ding the stock.

https://investors.sonos.com/news-and-events/investor-news/latest-news/2024/Sonos-Reports-Second-Quarter-Fiscal-2024-Results/default.aspx

But I agree, that a less cowardly C-suite would have delayed such a buggy release (“to benefit users and ensure the release meets our high standards, blah blah”), and not just kept their eye on the stock market and a quarterly update.   

This is being afraid of any “negative” news.  

Well. I’m lost for words…. What a disaster. I can understand those folks who are annoyed at previous functionality being removed, but for me it does not even function correctly. I cannot play an album from my NAS, it will only play one track at a time ?? This is a complete car crash. As others have already said, if you are on Android, download and install the previous version from apk mirror. Time to get the popcorn in and watch how this unfolds….. 

Well. I’m lost for words…. What a disaster. I can understand those folks who are annoyed at previous functionality being removed, but for me it does not even function correctly. I cannot play an album from my NAS, it will only play one track at a time ?? This is a complete car crash. As others have already said, if you are on Android, download and install the previous version from apk mirror. Time to get the popcorn in and watch how this unfolds….. 

I found a work-around by using the Web (browser) App to play albums on my PC share.  Can you use the web app to do the same with your NAS?

Here’s the link:  https://play.sonos.com/en-us/web-app

Why doesn’t everybody take a breath and hold off until the app is released before panicking? 

Because we knew.

This update is a monumental abomination. Can’t clear the queue. Can’t edit the location of my NAS music library or re-index it. A number of the settings features are missing. The old app was easier to use. This one is most definitely not.

Why doesn’t everybody take a breath and hold off until the app is released before panicking? 

Because we knew.

Ha ha — nice one.  😋

Where a while back, Sonos with all the ease, pushed customers from S1, to S2. Is it now apparently “supposedly” impossible to stay with S2.  Introduce an S3 nicely and don't bother me with this unprecedented turd bin of a new app.

My attempt to start a thread for feedback specifically on the new Web App …

I get it: change will always annoy some people. But this new app version is a disaster. It looks pretty, but every click leads to a slow loading page and even the most basic features are missing. No add to queue/play next, no play now. 

Where was qa in this process? Terrible.