Skip to main content

Today we are introducing the most extensive app redesign ever, creating an unprecedented streaming experience that allows listeners to organize their favorite playlists, stations, albums and more from over 100 services on one customizable Home screen.

Home Screen

The new Home screen provides faster access to Sonos system controls with one easy swipe up, making tab to tab jumping a thing of the past. As a leader in sound experience that’s focused on creating a better way to listen, Sonos intentionally redesigned the app on a modern software platform for an easier, faster and better experience that can support more rapid innovation.

The reimagined app supports all existing S2 products and will be available globally through a software update for the S2 mobile app.

100+ streaming services, one Home screen

The redesigned Sonos app prioritizes a listening experience that’s human - allowing you to bring your true favorites front and center and giving you more control to make your streaming experience your own.

• Get into your music (and off the app) faster: No need to tap between tabs — the new Home screen serves up all your favorite content and controls, all in one place. Quickly jump back into your recently played, browse libraries and recommendations from your preferred services, and fill your home with music and all the sounds you love.
  • Customize and curate: Enjoy unparalleled curation by designing your Home screen to reflect how you listen. Pin rows of your favorite content and services; then move, edit, or rearrange them to your liking.
  • Search every streaming library: Look for an artist, song, podcast, or audiobook across all your preferred streaming apps at once via an easy-to-use search bar that’s always available right on your Home screen.
  • Elevated system control: Swipe up from the bottom of your Home screen to seamlessly control your entire system and access a visual overview of what’s playing on each of your products, quickly group speakers, and dial in on the perfect volume from anywhere in the app. 

Accessible from any modern web browser, a brand new web app allows listeners the same seamless system control as the mobile app.

The new Web App

The Web App will be available alongside the redesigned mobile app on May 7, 2024.

Want to find out more about the new Sonos App? Have a look at the Info Hub section of the community for a complete rundown of the new user interface.

Here you can find the full press release. 

Too bad they didn’t just call this S3 and then let the old S2 and new S3 co-exist until they actually finish and test the new controller

EXACTLY. Running S2 and ‘S3’ in parallel for a time was (and still is!) completely workable. Down the road, the S2 app could be deprecated (formally or informally).

OMG. I just installed the new sonos app, and nothing works.

For a start, I try to switch device, but it keeps going back to the previous selected device. So I seem unable to start music on a single device for now.
I tried to select all devices in the house, it worked, but the sound went on/off, so i sounded like a bad DJ switching from left to right channel over and over.

Please, I need the old version.

They really need to pull back this app until all the functions work….

I think they might have for Android. When I go to the Sonos Web app on my old LG G5 and it says screen size not supported please download the app it take me to the S2 app on Google Play. 

What does the new app icon even look like?

I think they might have for Android. When I go to the Sonos Web app on my old LG G5 and it says screen size not supported please download the app it take me to the S2 app on Google Play. 

It’s black; the old v16 app had a yellow/gold icon.

Wow - what a terrible experience. I note people are complaining about missing features. I’d just like the included features to function at a reasonable speed. It’s so slow, taking 5 to 10 seconds to respond. I’ve uninstalled it and got the previous version back from APKMirror. What on earth possessed you to put this out?

The following things don’t work in the new Android app but did work in the old app:

• Alarms (setting, enabling, disabling, view)
  • Sleep timer
  • Play all / shuffle from a list of songs
  • See the queue of songs next to the now playing screen
  • probably many more

Why did an app get released that removed so many features? I paid over 1000 Euros for my Sonos systems and now at least three essential features have suddenly disappeared.

How can I go back to the previous version of the app where all features were present and worked as expected?

Uninstall it. Then download Sonos 16.1 from APK mirror and install that. Then you’ll be back to how you were before this debacle

It’s black; the old v16 app had a yellow/gold icon.

Yeah I do not see that black one on the Google Play store. Only the Gold S2 app and the Black S1 app? Perhaps only released for Apple devices? 

Yeah they have pulled the android update in the UK. Thank god it sounds like an utter disaster. Beta testing must have shown up these things like searches, local libraries not being visible or found. Poor show they need to get their act together.

Genuine question: Was this app "upgrade" tested by any members of the Sonos Beta program prior to release? Obviously it doesn't look like it, but just curious to know.

I miss the behavior in the old iOS app, when you adjusted the main volume slider, it automatically brought up a screen with volume controls for all speakers. 

Did the update but only on my iPhone and not the iPad which I use most. My NAS library is working okay, thank heavens, but can’t find a way of creating a queue of songs either from my library or Apple Music, only lets you create a new queue, also can’t search for tracks from my library. 

Poor show from Sonos for letting this be released like this.

Also rather surprised that no one from Sonos has responded to any of these comments, unless I missed it amongst them all.

Wow - what a terrible experience. I note people are complaining about missing features. I’d just like the included features to function at a reasonable speed. It’s so slow, taking 5 to 10 seconds to respond. I’ve uninstalled it and got the previous version back from APKMirror. What on earth possessed you to put this out?

You’ve not experienced the new web app, have you? It makes the new mobile app feel instantaneous.

Please bring back volume level displayed in number. Only way i can find it now is by choosing to group speakers.

Ok, here´s the timeline for the (old) new features that are gone with the update:

https://www.smarthomesounds.co.uk/blog/sonos/sonos-new-app-launched

Auto Trueplay / Quicktune Era (100 & Era 300) - Arriving in Late May
Snooze Alarms - Coming in June
Google Assistant Setup on Android - Coming in June
Sleep Timers - Coming in July
Find Missing Products Tool - Coming in July
Offline Devices - Coming in July
Queue & Playlist Editing - Coming in July

This is missing “search for local/network tracks” - the omission here, and the fact that this mirrors the “new” style search from the old S2 app makes me wonder if it’s ever coming back.

I have a nice Sonos set all thrue the house. Because I want to use a CR200, I still run S1.
Well done me :-)

Absolutely. Why Sonos wants to keep mucking around with what is like a remote for the telly is beyond me. Such colossal waste all around. For my own reasons I am on S1 since 2020 and all I have to fuss over is which album to play today! Either from Spotify or from my NAS.

Lucky you , poor / dammed us … 😢😩

Ok, here´s the timeline for the (old) new features that are gone with the update:

This is missing “search for local/network tracks” - the omission here, and the fact that this mirrors the “new” style search from the old S2 app makes me wonder if it’s ever coming back.

Just bring back the s2….simple...why wait

After hunting around the new app for an hour for where to find things on the new IOS app, I finally contacted support.  They told me that some features such as sleep timer local music library (note that there is no definitive list anywhere on what was lost). They also said that these things would come back in future releases.  I asked whether these future releases were coming in week, month, or year.  They just repeated “future”.

so I guess I just have to hunt around to figure out what no longer works...hard to tell what’s just moved and what’s gone.

...I guess I’m just joining the chorus of folks saying Sonos should finish the product before releasing it.  Heavy sigh

NOTE: Tech support also told me that once you upgrade, you can never go back.  In the comments here I see folks saying there may be a workaround...but if the Sonos tech support folks don’t know it, I wonder if it’s real.

For the Sonos Port, can you please restore the ability to set the Line Out level to Fixed as described in https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/set-up-your-sonos-port

Fixed allows the Digital Out connector to pass along the decoded signal without any limiter applied

Just bring back the s2….simple...why wait

They should make the S3 optional for those who want a pretty interface.  Leave S2 for those who want something more practical. 

Does anyone know of an alternative to the Sonos app on ios? 
I need to access my library locally, (SMB or Subsonic equivalent)
I'm really disappointed with Sonos, how can they release such a disastrous app, they should have left the old version alongside the new one.

You could try Plexamp or if you use Home Assistant it has Sonos support but I find both a bit lacking but I am not giving up yet but if I do give up I will just go back to Google casting 🤦🏼 

i’ll try this, thank you

Oh God how did it auto update on my ipad. I’ve not updated from the app store and I turned off auto update in the app itself so I don’t know what else I should have done but it has put the new version on my iPad and I’m not happy because I never wanted it.

I now find that my favourite radio stations are messed up. They display the station logo fine on my Android phone in favourites but they are not showing the station logo in the iPad new version app. This causes a problem for me because 4 of the stations start with the word “Hirschmilch” and then another word or 2 to distinguish the station, only part of the first word shows in the description and no logo displays so they all look the same - there’s no way to tell which one is which. When you select one of these stations it opens up the full screen where you can then select to play it and it displays the logo ok there.

This has ruined my day having this auto install on my iPad. Thankfully I still have the old version on my Android phone but I’m afraid that it might auto update that as well.

Like others, my mind boggles at the decision to release a Music app without queue management!

Add to that the search not including my local NAS library, plus the removal of the shortcut alphabet on the right -hand side when browsing albums, artists and tracks stored on the NAS.

This just reinforces the point others have made that we’re not really in control of our Sonos kit. We’re at the whim of Sonos and whatever hare-brained releases they put out. What a shame. Once my Sonos kit reaches its end, I’ll probably just go for some decent, reasonably priced speakers that support Airplay and then stream the locally stored music on my phone. Shame, as Sonos was for a time the best of all worlds, in terms of supporting and integrating local libraries and streaming services.

Please bring back volume level displayed in number. Only way i can find it now is by choosing to group speakers.

Yup, not just you wondering about that: https://en.community.sonos.com/product-updates/the-new-sonos-mobile-app-web-app-6891770/index12.html?postid=7737#post7737

It might be a small thing, but for me too this was always very helpful to maintain a consistent audio volume e.g. when watching movies via my Sonos Soundbar. Since the number has been removed from the main volume screen, you can just guess when changing the volume to have the same setting as your previous session.

Still wondering why on earth this has been erased with the new app! 😩

Sorry but this new app is an absolute s*** flap. Old bugs like can’t connect on prime time still exists. Same like all the small bugs and what I don't see in your list is local music location such as NAS or folder. Who has tested this app? Even as a school project, I would have rejected it and given it a failing grade. This really can't be done Sonos!

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

Have CEO, head of R&D, head of marketing and any other involved in this disaster app already been fired (or did they chooses to resign)? Considering the total silence / lack of reaction from Sonos  it seems more and more logical….