Where are the new and improved products from sonos?

• 21 July 2023
  • 3 replies

When I purchased my first sonos products they were considered “state-of-the-art” stuff.  But they seem to have stopped developing and improving.  Sonos is not even mentioned in this Engadget article.  Maybe they could give us the ability to use headphones with the system.

https://www.engadget.com/best-portable-bluetooth-speakers-133004551.html

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

The Era 100/300 isn’t new?  They came out in March of this year.  They are 3 months old.  And a standalone Atmos speaker for Atmos audio and/or Atmos Home Theater surrounds isn’t “state-of-the-art”?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

When I purchased my first sonos products they were considered “state-of-the-art” stuff.  But they seem to have stopped developing and improving.  Sonos is not even mentioned in this Engadget article.  Maybe they could give us the ability to use headphones with the system.

https://www.engadget.com/best-portable-bluetooth-speakers-133004551.html

I wouldn’t call headphones “state-of-the-art”, though a set that works with Sonos would probably be popular. (Nor are portable Bluetooth speakers, as featured in the article you link to, for that matter.) Certainly synchronised, multi-room multi-speaker music was state-of-the-art when Sonos first introduced it. What product(s) are you expecting?

Userlevel 7

Hi

At the end of this post is a link to a WiKi that gives a breakdown (by timeline) of Sonos products regarding hardware, software and integrated services. A company’s innovations/advancements are not always marked by a new hardware product release. Other things to consider (in no particular order) are:

• Hardware Updates (i.e. same product with new features)
  • Software Update and New Development
  • Licensing Permissions Acquired to integrate with Sonos products 
  • Streaming Services Portfolio
  • Company/Technology Acquisitions
  • General and Most Favored Partnerships for Marketing purposes 
  • General and Most Favored Partnerships for parts and/or logistics to meet supply and demand 
  • Patents submitted and approved (over 2000 and counting)
  • Environmental and Sustainability commitments regarding materials used for product development and packaging 
  • Support for discontinued products that meet certain criteria (i.e. memory and hardware compatibility) *

The above are those that I can think of...I’m sure I missed some. Of course New Product development/releases are important as those are what consumers use as a measurement (right or wrong) of a company’s success. They are also a company’s life-line to stay competitive and ahead of the curve in today’s market.

That said you should take a look at the recently released Era 300/100 series. Reviews give both good marks. However, the Era 300 is touted as the most impressive/innovative speaker design to date regarding its ability to support Dolby Atmos music.

* At some point older products will cease to be supported for any number of reasons; the most common  being compatibility with new software/technology. Sonos is no different from any other company in that respect. Quite frankly, Sonos does a better job to support older/discontinued products than most.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonos