Answered

Update Error

Just bought a Move, going through the set up it tells me an update is required. Update keeps failing and I get error code 1013 suggesting I move the Move closer to the internet hub. They are sat right next to each other, couldn’t get any closer and yet I still get the error?

icon

Best answer by JFRoy 9 June 2023, 21:09

View original

25 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Perversely they may now be too close! Try a bit of a gap. 

Userlevel 1

Just bought a Move, going through the set up it tells me an update is required. Update keeps failing and I get error code 1013 suggesting I move the Move closer to the internet hub. They are sat right next to each other, couldn’t get any closer and yet I still get the error?

Having the same issue/error with the Move I received today.  Would be nice if it included a ethernet port to see if that would fix it.

Userlevel 1

I have the same error with my brand new Move, not a good start for Sonos 😠

Agreed, not a great look. There’s several potential things that could cause a Sonos speaker to not be able to reach the Sonos update server in order to download, and it’s entirely possible that it’s not the same issue for any of you. Unfortunately, there’s just not information in ‘it doesn’t work for me’ to make an intelligent suggestion. 

@nik9669a was on one version of potential issues, where the speaker is either too close, or too far from a router, and dealing with the resulting wifi interference , either directly in the Wi-Fi band itself, or caused by proximity to other electrical devices. 

There’s also the potential of virus protection, firewall, or VPN programs blocking ports that Sonos uses to download that software. Just recently, MS Defender was causing issues for Sonos, but purportedly fixed that last week. 

Ultimately, without giving this community more information about your setup, your best bet would be to call Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

Userlevel 1

I have exactly the same issue with a new Move delivered today.

Same error code 1013.

Have successfully installed dozens of Sonos speakers without issue.

Have retried update several times without success.

Frustrating.

Userlevel 7

Hi Everyone 

I’ll admit for the same error to occur for multiple individuals all with NEW Moves is odd to say the least.

The link below gives suggestions on how to possibly resolve the issue (error 1013). The final one being to call Sonos tech support.

However, before you call I suggest you run a diagnostic within ten minutes of the error and post the reference ID number in this thread. 

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/error-1013-when-updating-sonos#

I'm hitting this error too on my Sonos Move. This is my first Sonos product and I've spent over three hours repeatedly trying to get the firmware to update. It fails 10mins into the process with error code 1013.

I will say that this is the most difficult piece of electronics I have ever tried to setup. 

I had the same problem: 1013 when performing an update on my new Sonos Move. Tried multiple times with my iPhone and Mac. Power off, on, retry. Retry without power cycle.

My partner has an Android - tried it and it updated without a problem and now works fine.

I think Sonos really does need to address this issue. The Move is not a new speaker and, at it’s price, it should work as flawlessly as it’s other products.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

seems like we are getting a software error in sonos updates.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Before attempting to update, make sure there are no other devices with the Sonos app trying to update at the same time.

Userlevel 1

I turned off my speaker, turned it back on again and it was able to update. Go figure.

Userlevel 1

I turned off my speaker, turned it back on again and it was able to update. Go figure.

Ha! Just did this and it worked. Never underestimate turning tech off and on again to solve problems. 

Exactly the same issue:  new Move, error 103 updating :(

I have many other Sonos devices in the system, and never this issue before.

Did you try the power cycle that seemed to be working for others?

Sorry, didn’t see that - YES, just powered down, powered back on and hit “try again,” and it worked.

Userlevel 7

The power cycle a device is “fix-it 101” back to basics step which resolves a multitude of tech issues. My apologies to all for not mentioning that simple procedure in my post.

I’m also surprised that that simple step is not mentioned in the official Sonos link I provided 🤔. Maybe Sonos needs to get back to basics as well with sone  of their  trouble shooting steps. The only reason I can think of as to why the step is not mentioned is because power cycling a device may remove the root cause of the issue that Sonos tech support would need in a diagnostic.

In any event Kudos to @JFRoy for the solution. Well Done!

Power cycling is not working for me. I have done the on/off thing well over 20 times, but doesn’t seem to make any difference. i’ve also done a factory reset on the device.

Firmware update fails every time,

It may be a separate issue, manifesting in the same end error, the challenge of many network issues, that look similar, but aren’t . 

I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Same issue here with new Move speaker, tried the power cycle and the wifi channel, also tried tirning off the 5Ghz as sonos suggested, still no good. Must be a bad batch of speakers given everyone suffering?

Assume a system diagnostic wont help as the speaker is not connected to the wifi yet, bad/no connection to wifi is preventing speakers access to sonos update server. 

Still worth calling in, though. And if you have other speakers in your system, a diagnostic should be available, and might help them pin down why you’re unable to update that one speaker. 

Userlevel 1

Finally able to add Move to my system after numerous failed attempts.

Long press power off (not sleep) before trying software update finally did the trick.

Same issue updating a new Move, and a long press power down/power up cycle did it for me, too. 

Am having the same issue with a new Move I bought today. Have tried power cycling and disabling 5GHz on my Wi-Fi but no joy so far (been trying for over an hour). Very frustrating ☹️

Sorry, didn’t see that - YES, just powered down, powered back on and hit “try again,” and it worked.

Ah, this seems to have worked for me now. All the previous times I let the app have its two attempts at upgrading the Move before power cycling. Did this multiple times with no joy. Tried iOS and Android, messing about with my Wi-Fi and router etc. On my successful attempt, I power cycled after the app’s first go at upgrading and then hit “try again” and it worked.

Might be worth a try for anyone else still having issues.

I now just need to sort out a rogue Play:1 that got upgraded to S2 during all of these shenanigans and which I am struggling to revert to S1.

just adding my two cents to this, I also had a frustrating afternoon of failed updates with this error. Lo and behold a couple of power cycles and trying again finally worked (via an iphone FWIW)

good old log on log off