Answered

Two routers - Sonos Move stops working

Hi - Have a Sonos Move which is running off a router in the house.  I take the Move outside (whilst its playing) just about to put it on the Sonos speaker hook and it gets interference from a second router we have in the garage (to run security cameras etc.).  Nothing then works and have to uninstall Alexa and reinstall.  Any clues?  Many thanks.  

icon

Best answer by ratty 19 July 2022, 17:32

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

What channels are the two routers on? 

Are both of the routers dual band?

Hi John - both are dual band.  One is on Channel 6 and one on Channel 11.  Both phone and the laptop swap routers happily.  

A second router -- assuming it’s still acting as a router, not as a simple access point -- breaks your local network into two subnets. Sonos requires that controllers and components are on the same subnet. (https://support.sonos.com/s/article/126)

AllyElly,

Can you give us some model numbers for the network components?

Thank you.  The second router is being used as an access point so only one subnet.  

The home router is a BT Full Fibre Home Hub and the one outside is a Home Hub 4.  IP ranges do not overlap, same SSID/password.  Still think if I can go outside with my mobile and my laptop and there’s no issue, it is something to do with the Sonos Move.    Thanks again.

IP ranges do not overlap

Notwithstanding your earlier comment, this raises a flag. There should not be a second IP range, only the one from the main router.

Can we clarify how you’ve configured the Hub4? To act as an access point it would need to be wired by one of its LAN ports (leaving WAN ports empty), and its DHCP server must have been disabled (hence no second IP range).

There should not be a second IP range, only the one from the main router.

Single DHCP on main router (64-254).  Outside IP is 63, no DHCP.

Can we clarify how you’ve configured the Hub4? To act as an access point it would need to be wired by one of its LAN ports (leaving WAN ports empty), and its DHCP server must have been disabled (hence no second IP range).

Yes, correct.  Thanks.

Okay. Sorry to labour the point. We see so many accidentally split networks here.

Back to the Move. If it glitches when carted outside, what happens if you completely reboot it? This will force it to connect to the best signal, presumably from the garage.

A Sonos unit unfortunately doesn’t typically roam between APs, unless the signal it’s leaving gets very weak indeed. You could always try putting the two routers onto the same channel. That might help.

Thank you.  I think that’s the issue, it won’t roam between APs.

When I take a playing Move outside, it stops working.  So then I come back inside and do a total rebuild of Sonos and Alexa.  A pain !  

Wouldn’t we get conflict on the overlap if we put two routers onto the same channel?

Thanks very much for all your help.  

Are you reserving IP addresses?

Wouldn’t we get conflict on the overlap if we put two routers onto the same channel?

No. They’d cooperatively share out the available bandwidth.

It’s when channels partially overlap that one interferes with the other. Sharing the same channel is fine, assuming of course that you’re not maxing out the physical capacity of the channel. This is unlikely; traffic to most of your other devices will most probably be on the 5GHz band.  

Buzz re reserving:  The Sonos connects using 192.168.1.222  

Ratty:  will try putting the 2 routers on the same channel and report back.

Thanks everyone.

Hi - the situation now is that I take a playing Sonos outside and it stays connected to the house router when it sits on the bracket.  Fantastic.  If I move towards the garage the music stops and there’s a 20 second delay before it starts again - moving on to the next track and does the same when I come back to the house.  But I very much can live with that.  You’ve all been brilliant, thank you so much.