Answered

Trying to Connect Audio Technica Turntable to Sonos Move

• 23 December 2022
  • 31 replies

Hi everyone - 

I just received an early Christmas gift of an Audio Technica bluetooth turntable AT-LP60XBT. There are many resources, including Audio Technica’s own website, which says that it can connect with the Sonos Move via Bluetooth (but no other Sonos device, wirelessly).

You press a button on the turntable so that it enters pairing mode, and I’ve done enough reading to realize that I need to press the pairing button (the long thin button) on the back of the Move to get it ready to connect.

However, when I put both devices in pairing mode - I press the button on top of the turntable, which continuously flashes blue & red (instead of blue, which is desired) - they never seem to pair. There is no completion; ultimately the light on the turntable just goes red, which means it is not paired.

Has anyone dealt with this? Has anyone solved the problem? Many thanks in advance. Even if I get it to work, I’m pretty tech-savvy and it feels like… well, it shouldn’t be this difficult. 

icon

Best answer by 106rallye 26 December 2022, 15:03

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

31 replies

Userlevel 7

Follow these steps:

1. Press the Bluetooth button once on the back of the Move to switch to Bluetooth Mode. The Move will chime and the LED on top of the speaker will turn blue.

2. Press and hold the Bluetooth button to enable pairing mode. The Move will chime again and the LED will flash blue.

3. Press the Wireless Function Button on the turntable to begin the pairing process. The LED will flash blue.

4. Press and hold the Wireless Function Button until the LED flashes red and blue. Release the button.

5. The LED will turn solid blue on both devices and you will hear a chime on the Move when the connection is complete.

I have the same issue and have followed the same steps to pair the Move with the same Audio Technica turntable and it just won’t work. 
To test, I paired the turntable with a Bose Mini speaker and also Amazon screen speaker thingy and they both paired swiftly. 
Am frustrated that it won’t pair with the Move as the turntable was a Christmas gift for my son.
Any ideas/tricks to get these two to pair most welcome. 
Merry Christmas all! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

That turntable supports the A2DP Bluetooth profile (and nothing else is listed on the web site).

From what I can tell (and its harder to determine than it should be) the Move does not.

I cannot be sure to both companies being extremely vague in their Specification details.

I’m also trying to pair both units and it’s seems not possible

It’s very frustated

Reading your response above, I'm not very happy with this answer

Do you have an alternative to solve this problem

Greetings Stephane

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

The “best” thread I can find is this one:

in which Sonos support says “ Move supports both SBC and AAC Bluetooth codecs, but not AptX “

Do you know what codecs the turntable supports? I can’t figure it out from their web site.

Same issue here. Received turntable also as Christmas gift. Have tried multiple steps as documented. The Move and turntable don’t pair. If somebody gets it, please post. 

Badge

Hi All,

I was also on the same boat as you. I was somehow able to connect.

Let me start by saying this is my first turntable ever, so if you have gone thru the below steps then please contact sonos.

Step 1.

Remove the cover that is covering the needle 

Step 2.

Connect to the Sonos app on your device. Once the Sonos move is synced (for lack of a better word), go back to the turntable.

Step 3.

Press the bluetooth button on the sonos and keep on pressing it till you hear the chime of it searching and the blue light starts flashing.

Step 4.

As soon as you hear the chime on the sonos, press the bluetooth button on the turntable and put it on paring. It should automatically pair the turntable and you should hear the chime on the sonos.

Step 5.

Play the record and don’t forget to drop the needle like I did.

If you hear that beautiful crackle, you are in business. If not try again, at least steps 3-4 till you hear the crackle.

Also, if your mic is switched on (sonos) disable it by clicking on it. 
I tried a few times, used Alexa after playing my record and tried to connect back to the turntable, it would not connect unless the mic is turned off. Once it is paired, reconnecting is a charm. 

Merry Christmas

Dear Rahul

thx but it didn’t work

I can connect the turntable to my earplugs music but not to the Sonos move

Anyway thx for your help

Merry Xmas

Does someone know if there is a forum site of AUSIO-TECHNICA regarding the following topics:

turntable Type AT-LP60XBT problems with Bluetooth paring?

Dear ControlLav

The AT-LP60XBT uses the aptX codec, which is less compressed than MP3. 

see attach link

https://www.reddit.com/r/turntables/comments/iv8k84/audio_technica_not_connecting_to_bluetooth/

so if I'm right it will never work, I you agreed with me?

greetings Stephane 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Dear ControlLav

see attach link

https://www.reddit.com/r/turntables/comments/iv8k84/audio_technica_not_connecting_to_bluetooth/

greetings Stephane 

Yes, unless/until Sonos add aptX codec support I believe you are correct. Does the turntable ONLY offer aptX?

Dear ControlLav

see attach link

greetings Stephane 

If there are no other connection options, like RCA output from the turntable, then you perhaps will need to use a Bluetooth Apt-X receiver linked to a Sonos product that has a line-In, such as..

• Port/Connect
  • Amp/Connect:Amp
  • Five/Play:5

Most turntables with BT and built-in pre-amp however, usually have an analogue line-out option.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

If Audio Technica advertises you can pair their turntable with the Move, you could also ask them.

We managed to pair our Move with the turntable just now 

press the button on the top of the turn table till it flashes blue/red

switch the Sonos on press the long middle button to bluetooth mode, press and hold long buttons, light will flash looking for signal, when goes solid the turntable will turn to blue, then release the Sonos button and it will pair.

We had the record playing throughout so we knew when it was successful

really beautiful sound 

Thanks Bizzieb.

We’d tried that a number of times as it would be the usual manner for pairing these two units but it just won’t work with my Move.

I’ll try resetting both units again and try pairing them as “virgin” units.

The problem with connecting to the Move via Bluetooth, which I was also able to accomplish after many attempts, is that you are now just playing on one speaker.  In Bluetooth mode, the Move acts as a standalone speaker and is not participating in the full SONOS network.  Since most of us Sonos loyalists have several Sonos speakers, that is obviously not the objective.  I connected the turntable to my Samsung tv using audio input on the tv.  The tv is connected to the Sonos Playbar thereby allowing me to have the turntable connected to the entire SONOS system using the tv as a sort of audio hub.

The problem with connecting to the Move via Bluetooth, which I was also able to accomplish after many attempts, is that you are now just playing on one speaker.  In Bluetooth mode, the Move acts as a standalone speaker and is not participating in the full SONOS network.  Since most of us Sonos loyalists have several Sonos speakers, that is obviously not the objective.  I connected the turntable to my Samsung tv using audio input on the tv.  The tv is connected to the Sonos Playbar thereby allowing me to have the turntable connected to the entire SONOS system using the tv as a sort of audio hub.

You would need the newer Sonos Roam to achieve a similar thing - it allows playback via Bluetooth, whilst at the same time you can ‘group’ it over WiFi to other Sonos rooms/players. The older Move (I suspect) would maybe need a hardware upgrade to perhaps achieve that.

@MonteFlag, thanks for stating the obvious. I have multiple Sonos units in S1 and S2 format. I had a spare Move that i was hoping to give to my new son to compliment his new Bluetooth turntable. He can of course also connect that to his amp in wired mode but for small parties and in the garden the Move would be useful to have set up in Bluetooth mode.  I do beleive that the Move is compatible with the Bluetooth turntable and expected it to simply connect in the same way the other units i have tried have. 

Perhaps after your many attempts and then success to connect the Move, you can tell me how? Or was it just luck after multipe tries? Thanks,

I have a Roam that is used as a paperweight because it has never worked reliably and I’ve quite trying as it simply never responds or works like most of the other great products.

How annoying! Perhaps in trying to accommodate bluetooth and wifi, it’s too much!

I had the same problem until today.

I just ordered a Bluetooth transmitter/receiver from amazon (here’s the link): https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0B84XQWPH?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details. I don't have much knowledge in the quality, but I switched the device to receiver mode (RX) which connected to the turn table, then plugged the receiver into the turntable and it worked somehow… 

I can’t talk too much about the quality of the sound as I just got my turn table, but it does not sound as good as a cheaper speaker my buddy gave me, that I connected via RCA cables. 

Just put the turntable into paring mode (flashing red and blue) and put the Bluetooth device in RX mode and hold the button until its also flashing (in pairing mode) then it should connect very quick. After plug the transmitter to the turn table via stereo output and turn the Bluetooth device to receiver by flipping the switch on the device. 

Again their might be a more simple method, but this worked for me. Also I don’t have any other sonos devices to connect through Bluetooth. 

Best wishes!!

Has this ever been resolved or addressed by Sonos? I just bought a Move solely to connect to my AT bluetooth record player and it just won't connect. The record player connects with every other BT speaker I have... so very frustrated it won't connect here. 

Seems like it only works if you have other sonos devices which can connect to the record player, in turn connecting the move, or by using a Bluetooth transmitter/receiver. I’m currently using the second method and it works pretty reliably, just required a bit of getting used to...

Userlevel 2

Great idea, but I have new 2022 Samsung QLED TV. The problem is it does not have the correct input except for the HDMI arch. I guess they stopped putting that in. It has a headphone out only. I also tried to connect to the Bluetooth input of the TV but had no luck, like Sonos Move. Funny, I can connect it to one of my Amazon echos. I never knew there were different types of Bluetooth signals. 

Userlevel 2

We managed to pair our Move with the turntable just now 

press the button on the top of the turn table till it flashes blue/red

switch the Sonos on press the long middle button to bluetooth mode, press and hold long buttons, light will flash looking for signal, when goes solid the turntable will turn to blue, then release the Sonos button and it will pair.

We had the record playing throughout so we knew when it was successful

really beautiful sound 

Do you have the Audio-Technica AT-LP60XBT-S? Wow, if you do, if not, what brand/model do you have so I can return my Audio-Technica AT-LP60XBT-SV and buy yours.