Answered

Stereo pairing Roam with Roam SL

Badge

Hi, 

I have recently added a Roam to my Roam SL. Tried every way to stereo pair them but the app will just not recognise them as a pair. If I try Airplay from my iPhone I can get one or the other to work but not both at the same time.

The Sonos website suggests to name them name them in different rooms. I can name the Roam but not the Roam SL.

Am used to Apple products that just work. Can anyone help?

icon

Best answer by Corry P 14 April 2023, 13:13

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I assume that both devices are shown in the Sonos App?  Are you able to group the two devices and play music from them at the same time?

Within the Sonos App>Settings>System are both devices shown as separate devices?

Badge

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

Yes they both show in the app and show as separate devices. In Apple Airplay on my phone they also show as separate devices but sometimes they appear grouped but even then only one plays at a time.

Otherwise I can’t see a way to group the two devices.

Regards

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Grouping is done by using the middle icon in the row at the bottom of the Sonos App., shown as 4 vertical lines.

Try grouping them first and then we can sort out the stereo pairing.

Edit:

Also, can you confirm how you are trying to rename the Roam SL?

Badge

Hi

Thanks. Have clicked on the middle icon and can’t see a way to group. Also, don’t know why there is a message relating to Era 300. See screenshot attached.

Regards

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

You Group by clicking the square icon with an arrow at the bottom, level with the Room Name.  In the next screen, select ‘Everywhere’.  If you do this against the Sonos Roam that is currently receiving Bluetooth Audio, the music will be output on both devices.  To rename the Sonos Roam to a more meaningful Name, click the cog wheel in the bottom right of your phone and then select System, and then Sonos Roam.  Pressing the Arrow next to the name allows you to change it.

Cancel the message and see if it’s a One Off.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Assuming that you’ve managed to group the two devices and music is being output on both of them.  Please follow the steps in this article to create a Stereo Pair.: https://support.sonos.com/en-gb/article/create-a-stereo-pair

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @mpa4470 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I’m just interjecting here because it’s unlikely anyone is going to guess what the issue is - your Roams are set up to be different systems. You will need to factory reset one of them, then add it to the system containing the other, rather than opting to “Setup a New Sonos System” in the app. I recommend you reset again whichever speaker you apparently just reset. Once you reset one speaker, make sure the app is connected to the un-reset speaker, then the app should prompt to add the reset speaker automatically.

It looks like this is recent (your screenshot above indicates that they were not separate when you posted it) - we do not recommend you reset your Sonos products unless requested to do so by us, or if you are selling a unit. If you struggle any further, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system.

I’ve also flagged the fact that you are seeing a notification regarding the Era 300 when you don’t actually own one with an engineer, so thanks for reporting that.

I hope this helps.

Badge

Hi, many thanks for your responses. The factory reset worked. :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @mpa4470 

Thanks for coming back to update the thread, and I’m glad you got everything sorted out.

If you ever see that Era 300 message again, could you please submit a support diagnostic and reply here with the number given? Thanks

What is the difference between pairing and grouping? Can you connect 2 Roams and 1 Roam SL so that musics plays from all 3 at the same time? Is that called grouping or pairing?

Pairing is a semi-permanent bond where each unit plays one of the left or right channel of a stereo source.  Grouping is an ad hoc connecting of one or more Sonos rooms where all the rooms play all channels of the source.