Skip to main content
Answered

Sonos Roam via Solar Charging

• 3 August 2023
  • 2 replies

I want to put a roam under the overhang on my front porch and charge via a solar panel similar to my ring camera. I’m live in Santa Barbara (home of Sonos!) so weather isn't that much a factor but my 2 questions are: 

1. Would the solar panel (2-5W) charge the roam? I wouldn’t be using it a lot but didnt know if it needs to be a certain watt size to take a charge. 
  2. can the roam remain “on” so i dont have to turn it on each time similar to my move or other sonos products. 
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

I want to put a roam under the overhang on my front porch and charge via a solar panel similar to my ring camera. I’m live in Santa Barbara (home of Sonos!) so weather isn't that much a factor but my 2 questions are: 

1. Would the solar panel (2-5W) charge the roam? I wouldn’t be using it a lot but didnt know if it needs to be a certain watt size to take a charge. 
  2. can the roam remain “on” so i dont have to turn it on each time similar to my move or other sonos products. 

1 - The Roam product page says that you can charge with any 5V/1.5A  (7.5W) USB charger.  So you’re well below that.  Not sure if that means that it won’t take the charge or that’s the minimum requred to ensure playback while charging.  I would guess the later.

2- Yes, the Roam can remain on.  I have a pair of Roams in a bathroom that are on and plugged in all the time.  I don’t really use them as portables at al, just stationary speakers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

An unregulated panel might damage the Sonos.

A well regulated one should work, you’d want both low and high voltages prevented.