sonos roam quit working

• 6 June 2023
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hello,

I’ve had my Roam for over a year and it has been acting up for the last couple of months. It’s now at the point where it’s sitting on the charger but there are no lights on and I can’t reset it. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

I would try charging it via a usb c charger (make sure it's powerful enough). If that does not wake it up, you will have to ring the support folks 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thanks I’ll give that a try. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I’m not sure I’ve got the appropriate charger. I just came out of the rabbit hole regarding PD chargers and USB-C chargers and the right cable, etc. I think there was a cable that came with my Roam. I’ll see if I can find it. I think I will contact the Tech people. I already have lots of iPhone chargers and cables so maybe I already have what I need. But the magnetic charger that I bought with the Roam isn’t doing the trick. The only thing I can think of with the Roam is that I’ve had it in the bathroom with me while I shower. It’s not right IN the shower but it gets pretty steamy. But it’s supposed to be waterproof up to 30 minutes so the steam shouldn’t bother it. Anyway, I’m rambling so I’ll just contact tech support and see what kind of charging set up they recommend. Thanks again 

Userlevel 7

When charging the Roam, use a 5V/2A (10W) USB power adapter.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thanks. I’ll see what I have kicking around. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I’ve got a 5 volt 2.4A charger 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I don’t know if anyone reads these updates but on the advice of a helpful person I tried connecting with the cable that came with the Roam. And I used a couple different chargers. With the wireless charger I wasn’t getting any response on the Roam. With the other cable that plugs directly into the Roam I got an orange light. On the App it still said that the Roam wasn’t connected. When this happened last time I saw a comment somewhere that said to hold the button on the back and the Play button simultaneously for 5 seconds. It worked and the Roam was magically back online. But nothing worked this time. The one thing that I’ve noticed with this Roam, right from the start, is that the button doesn’t stick out very far. It’s almost flush with the body of the Roam and it’s really hard to tell if the button is being pushed. I used to get a Bing or Bong when something was actuated. I used to put it on Bluetooth quite often but other than that I didn’t use the button that much so I’m not sure if I could have broken it. Anyway, I think I’m on the road to technical assistance but I thought I’d put this out there just in case it strikes a note with anyone. Thanks

There is another reset. Charge the unit for a while using the USB port, then remove the charger. Press and hold the Power button for 15 seconds. If you slip off the button, restart the interval. If the unit starts, place it back on the charger and fully charge the unit. You can play as it charges.

Note that this is not a Factory Reset, no settings will be destroyed.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thanks I’ll try it