Answered

Sonos Roam not turning on with blinking white light while charging

• 12 December 2022
  • 23 replies

Hey all,

My Roam’s battery apparently ran out and I’ve been charging it with usb cable for the last 8 hours.

At first the battery light was solid orange.

Now the battery light has turned off and status light is blinking white but it’s not turning on.

I haven’t changed my router nor changed the router’s name and password.

I’ve tried all the steps to reset like:

• Press and hold the power button on the back of your Roam for 5 seconds to power it off. You will hear a chime and the status LED on the front will turn off.

• While holding the Play/Pause button, press and release the power button on the back of your Roam.

• Continue holding the Play/Pause button until the light on the front flashes orange and white.

• The light will flash green when the process is complete and your Sonos Roam is ready to be set up.

This did not work.

Anybody have any suggestions, I’m not sure what to do now this haven’t happened before.

Thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by Jamie A 14 December 2022, 11:03

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

23 replies

There is another type of reset that might help. Remove the unit from the charger, press and hold the power button for 15 seconds

There is another type of reset that might help. Remove the unit from the charger, press and hold the power button for 15 seconds

@buzz Tried this one as well. Did not help

Is the unit visible in a controller?

Is the unit visible in a controller?

@buzz It’s not visible. with “Unable to connect to Sonos” displayed at the top

Potentially, this could be a network issue.

Next, you should force close the controller.

And, we cannot rule out a hardware issue with ROAM.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @daziest, welcome to the Sonos Community!

The last two posts by @buzz mention this already, but a blinking white LED light means one of two things on a Sonos product: it’s either booting up after being powered on/connected to power or the device is connecting to a network.

If you are able to power the Roam off (where there is no LED light), then I’d recommend rebooting your network by powering off your router for a few minutes, then powering it back on. If you have any extra networking equipment, make sure to power those off as well.

If, after rebooting the network and powering the Roam back on, the Roam still has a flashing white LED, then it seems likely to be a hardware fault. In this case, it would be best to reach out to our support team as they have the tools necessary to troubleshoot this issue with you.

I hope this helps!

Hi @daziest, welcome to the Sonos Community!

The last two posts by @buzz mention this already, but a blinking white LED light means one of two things on a Sonos product: it’s either booting up after being powered on/connected to power or the device is connecting to a network.

If you are able to power the Roam off (where there is no LED light), then I’d recommend rebooting your network by powering off your router for a few minutes, then powering it back on. If you have any extra networking equipment, make sure to power those off as well.

If, after rebooting the network and powering the Roam back on, the Roam still has a flashing white LED, then it seems likely to be a hardware fault. In this case, it would be best to reach out to our support team as they have the tools necessary to troubleshoot this issue with you.

I hope this helps!

Thanks Jamie, yep contacted support team and getting it replaced

Userlevel 1

Same exact problem here.  Left my roam unconnected to charger for a day or two, it went into sleep mode and never came out.  I’ve tried all the above methods.  It appears to me that even with a USB cord attached (and yes, a powerful enough charger) that the roam doesn’t get warm at all while “charging”.  I left it charging overnight and the orange light went out and the white light was blinking slowly.  The second I unplugged it the white light went out.  Also, it won’t charge at all on my Sonos brand wireless charger base.  I think the thing is bricked.  I’ve read enough threads about this to think that Sonos has a real issue with these roams.  I’ll call support Monday, but mines prolly out of warranty since I was an early adopter.  This is the first time I’ve been disappointed in a Sonos product :(

I have exactly the same issues with my Sonos Roam, Orange light to show charging with Sonos charger and cable however not able to swithch on.

Product is exactly 2 years old and not been used that much, have been very dissapointed tbh.

Bose for me next time unless can get repaired.

Hi @daziest, welcome to the Sonos Community!

I hope this helps!

Thanks Jamie, yep contacted support team and getting it replaced

Are they replacing it outside the one year warrantee? I’ve had mine for nearly two years.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @paulaproof, welcome to the Community!

While a hardware fault is possible, it could be a different issue that our support team can help you resolve. If they do discover a hardware fault with your Roam then they can discuss replacement options with you.

I hope this information helps!

same issues as highlighted in the posts above .. white light keeps blinking  .. can’t reboot .. nothing works .. its so frustrating

Same, this product sucks. I've been combing sonos responses and they all just say do a factory reset.

I love my other sonos speakers, but the Roam is a complete fail.

same issues as highlighted in the posts above .. white light keeps blinking  .. can’t reboot .. nothing works .. its so frustrating

Maybe just try connecting the Roam to a different WiFi network, or even a mobile hotspot and just see if that works, as it might be the case the Roam is not getting its IP address from your router. It will be at least useful to know if it works on a different WiFi - Note: if using a mobile hotspot, it cannot be the same device that is running the Sonos controller App. 

See this link too on how to add another network, rather than perhaps factory-resetting the speaker:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/connect-sonos-to-a-new-router-or-wi-fi-network

Hi @paulaproof, welcome to the Community!

While a hardware fault is possible, it could be a different issue that our support team can help you resolve. If they do discover a hardware fault with your Roam then they can discuss replacement options with you.

I hope this information helps!

Nope, they will just offer you 30% off a new one, which is insulting and turning me off the Sonos brand entirely. Support has offered me nothing that I didnt already try after reading these forums. Holding down all the buttons, charging for days, i have the right charger and cable. 

This appears to be a portable speaker that cannot handle being used until the battery runs out. At that point it is unrecoverable. 

Maybe just try connecting the Roam to a different WiFi network, or even a mobile hotspot and just see if that works, as it might be the case the Roam is not getting its IP address from your router. It will be at least useful to know if it works on a different WiFi - Note: if using a mobile hotspot, it cannot be the same device that is running the Sonos controller App. 

See this link too on how to add another network, rather than perhaps factory-resetting the speaker:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/connect-sonos-to-a-new-router-or-wi-fi-network

How would you connect the Roam to a different network if it wont power on?

Not sure what you mean here because @vineyesh’s Roam is powering ‘ON’ - the user mentions the devices white LED light is blinking - that indicates its looking to get an IP address from the local DHCP server.

Not sure what you mean here because @vineyesh’s Roam is powering ‘ON’ - the user mentions the devices white LED light is blinking - that indicates its looking to get an IP address from the local DHCP server.

Mine too is technically “on”. Solid white light sometimes, flashing white light other times when on the wired charger. But app cant find it, resetting does nothing. App technically shows it in Sleep Mode but none of the wake steps work. You cant do anything to control it from the app. 

Mine too is technically “on”. Solid white light sometimes, flashing white light other times when on the wired charger. But app cant find it, resetting does nothing. App technically shows it in Sleep Mode but none of the wake steps work. You cant do anything to control it from the app. 

In that case, have you ever tried setting it up on a different WiFi network - a mobile ‘hotspot’ for example, just to see what perhaps happens in that instance and if it gets allocated an IP address?

Edit: Note if using a hotspot - then you need to use a separate mobile device for the controller App.

Not really sure how i would do that...but also if that woudl somehow work, then shouldnt a factory reset also work on the unit? and then essentially set it up again? 

Nothing happens when trying to reset it. Beyond the lights flashing, the unit does absolutely nothing. 

Not really sure how i would do that...but also if that woudl somehow work, then shouldnt a factory reset also work on the unit? and then essentially set it up again? 

Nothing happens when trying to reset it. Beyond the lights flashing, the unit does absolutely nothing. 

Looking back, I see you’ve already spoken to Sonos Support about the matter, but if you can’t reset and try the setup of the device on a different network subnet, then there’s not much I, as another Sonos (Roam) user, can do to assist you, particularly if the hardware is faulty and perhaps outside of any warranty/extended warranty period.

I’m sorry to hear you’ve been unable to resolve the matter.

appreciate your responsiveness either way. Just seems like the Roam is not up to the rest of the Sonos line in terms of reliability.