Sonos Roam not playing audio from Nintendo Switch over Bluetooth

• 4 February 2022
  • 4 replies

I have a sonos roam and a nintendo switch. For several days I was able to connect and play audio over bluetooth from the switch with zero issues, but out of the blue today the sonos will connect to the switch, play the "paired" chime sound, and will not play any further sounds as long as it continues to be paired.

I can pair other bluetooth audio devices to the switch and have them play audio without issue, and I can pair the roam to a laptop and my phone over bt to play audio without issue.

So far I've tried:

• restarting the switch
  • restarting the roam
  • everything described here
  • manually unpairing the roam from all other devices
  • manually unpairing the roam from the switch, then re-pairing
  • factory-resetting the roam
  • validating that the switch is not in need of any updates (it's not, and there have been no updates since Jan 19th)
  • changing volume from both the switch quick settings and on the sonos itself (the sonos will make pinging noises as I increase or decrease the volume on the device, but still does not play any audio from the switch)
  • disconnecting the switch from all wifi
  • disconnecting all but one controller from the switch

Regardless of what I attempt, I keep getting the same behavior. The sonos pairs and connects, then fails to play any bluetooth audio while connected to the switch.

This is particularly frustrating since the roam was working on all platforms with zero problems just yesterday.

Has anybody run into this problem before, either with the switch or another device connected to the roam? Did you manage to solve it?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Will the Roam BT-pair with another device and work, such as a mobile phone or tablet?

Yes, as mentioned I can connect the roam with my laptop and phone over Bluetooth and get audio, and I can other other Bluetooth speakers with the switch and get audio. The issue is specifically between the switch and the roam.

Sorry I can’t offer any advice, but I have never been able to successfully receive audio from the Switch on my Roam.  My situation sounds exactly like yours: switch shows it connected and the volume buttons on the Switch do seem to work (while displaying the name of the Roam).  After some reading I thought this may be due to an encoding issue with the Switch, but if you were able to get audio before, then that is somewhat encouraging news for me.

On a related note, I can not get my Switch to even pair with my Move...

After paired, you can try to open YouTube first and play some video, then the sound will pop out.
However there is still connection problem for Nintendo switch during gaming, for example like the sound is intermittently not sound out.