Answered

Sonos Roam isnt charging- using correct power source

Hi- anyone know if there’s a fix for Sonos Roam not charging. It was working perfectly then all of a sudden stopped charging. Nothing I do will let it get any charge or even get enough power to do a reset. 

I have two Roams and I’m using the right power adapter and sonos cord. One Roam is charging fine and the other just has a flashing orange light of death. 

I have had it on charge for 2 days and can’t get it to respond at all except with the orange light after pushing the button. I’ve called support but just end up on hold for a long time. I’m on hold now as I write this. 

icon

Best answer by Corry P 7 April 2023, 12:01

View original

32 replies

This will not help you , but I can just tell you that I have the exact same problem. (for some time now).

I really regret buying these Roam’s, I have no issues at all with my Play’s.

Now I have 2 black bricks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @PeterNYC

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Sorry to hear of your troubles - I hope you were able to get through to our support team.

@DDcool - I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports, if you haven’t done so already.

I also have a roam that bricked after 14 months of use (right outside the warranty). Seems to be a bad product based on the all the similar posts. Sonos has offered a 30% off coupon but I will not be buying another Roam. 

I have the same issue with my Roam, Will not charge anymore, and cannot be started. 1,5 years old.

If you're experiencing issues with charging your Sonos Roam despite using the correct power source, there could be a few potential reasons for this problem. Here are some troubleshooting steps you can try:

1. Verify the power source: Ensure that the power source you are using is functioning properly. Try connecting another device to the same power source and see if it charges successfully. Also, make sure you're using the correct charging cable provided by Sonos.

2. Clean charging contacts: Sometimes, dirt, dust, or debris can accumulate on the charging contacts of the Sonos Roam or the charging cable. Gently clean the charging contacts on both the speaker and the cable using a soft, dry cloth. This can help ensure a proper connection.

3. Check cable and port: Inspect the charging cable for any signs of damage, such as frayed wires or bent connectors. If the cable baby shampoo after hair transplant is damaged, try using a different cable to see if that resolves the charging issue. Additionally, inspect the charging port on the Sonos Roam for any debris or obstructions. If necessary, use a can of compressed air to clean the port.

4. Restart the Sonos Roam: Sometimes, a simple restart can resolve charging issues. Turn off the Sonos Roam, wait for a few seconds, and then turn it back on. Attempt to charge it again and see if it works.

5. Update firmware: Ensure that your Sonos Roam is running the latest firmware version. You can check for updates through the Sonos app or the Sonos website. Keeping the firmware up to date can address any software-related charging issues.

6. Contact Sonos support: If none of the above steps resolve the charging problem, it's recommended to reach out to Sonos customer support for further assistance. They can provide specific troubleshooting guidance or arrange for a repair or replacement if necessary.

Remember, troubleshooting steps may vary depending on the specific issue, and it's always best to consult the official documentation or seek support from the manufacturer for accurate guidance.

Well:

1. Use a 5V 2,4A charger and USB-A to USB-C cable. Orange lights constantly.
  2. Well, the Roam has primarily been used with a QI wireless charger so contact is clean.
  3. They are working correctly.
  4. Can´t restart a dead Sonos.
  5. How can I do that - it is Dead?
  6. Have done, they want me to come back after having it on charge for more than an hour…

Assume they will offer me a discount for a new Roam. I don´t dare going that way, wasting too much money...

Any dead roams for sale?

Update. I was very positively surprised as I received a replacement Roam. Very good customer service!

Well:

1. Use a 5V 2,4A charger and USB-A to USB-C cable. Orange lights constantly.
  2. Well, the Roam has primarily been used with a QI wireless charger so contact is clean.
  3. They are working correctly.
  4. Can´t restart a dead Sonos.
  5. How can I do that - it is Dead?
  6. Have done, they want me to come back after having it on charge for more than an hour…

Assume they will offer me a discount for a new Roam. I don´t dare going that way, wasting too much money...

Note the charger should certainly be "PD certified" - don’t use just any charger - otherwise a cheap power adapter could encounter a power surge, which might actually damage the Roam. Keep the li-ion battery topped up. I recommend using both the ‘Battery Saver’ and ‘WiFi Power Save’ features available in the Sonos App.

Qi chargers are okay, but they do take twice as long as USB-C to charge the Roam and perhaps are more-suited for overnight charging, or simply leaving the Roam on it when not out & about.

Same problem here. Roam 1 yr and 9 months. Won’t charge. Using Sonos wireless charger which works. Tried other chargers. Spent an hour doing useless tests with a help rep. that’s was obviously resting from an instruction sheet and doesn’t know the product. Waiting to see if / how Sonos will resolve this issue. At the price of the Sonos, expected better quality. 

Same problem here. Roam 1 yr and 9 months. Won’t charge. Using Sonos wireless charger which works. Tried other chargers. Spent an hour doing useless tests with a help rep. that’s was obviously resting from an instruction sheet and doesn’t know the product. Waiting to see if / how Sonos will resolve this issue. At the price of the Sonos, expected better quality. 

Have you tried the 25sec + power button long-press Roam reset (when off it’s charger), followed by a 30 minute charge with a PD USB-C charger (power output between 2A/3A x 5V (10W-15W)) …and then repeat the two steps again, to see if that brings the Roam’s battery back to life?

Hello Ken,

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it with no success. I like the Sonos sound and was looking into ordering a system for my firm but definitely will not be doing that now. Will stop recommending it to my clients as well, at least until I see how Sonos responds

Hello Ken,

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it with no success. I like the Sonos sound and was looking into ordering a system for my firm but definitely will not be doing that now. Will stop recommending it to my clients as well, at least until I see how Sonos responds

Do you have the Sonos product protection cover, or a 3rd-party extended warranty cover, as you can perhaps resolve the matter that way, if the device proves to be faulty.

No, I thought the one year warranty would be sufficient. 

I’m now reading of many cases where the Roam stopped charging just past the one year warranty. Wish I knew that before ordering ☹️

I see the same thing with a good many different electrical products from various manufacturers if I visit their forums too. People tend to post there when things don’t work for them, but people very rarely announce that their products continue to work. Sonos have probably sold many hundreds of thousands of their Roam speakers worldwide, one would guess, so I presume some may fail in the first few years outside their warranty.

I have two Roams from when they were first released several years ago and still going strong. I do tend though to look for product warranties that extend past their manufacturers warranty period and try to cover them for around 5 years, or so, at which point I then look to upgrade to the next generation model, if one becomes available.

My children then often take the old devices for use in their homes. They still have some older Play:5’s and 1’s still going strong for example, on an S1 setup.

Appreciate the wider perspective. It’s true that people tend to speak out to complain more than to praise (human negativity bias). Thanks for your input. 

FWIW Sonos does have a policy that they will replace ONE defective product (per customer) outside of warranty sort of a once in a lifetime offer. Unfortunately I used my one-time return/replacement on a PlayBase that died.

Hey I thought I’d get on here to help someone if they needed it. I also have a roam that died after about 2 years , and it was experiencing the same problems mentioned above (wouldn’t charge on wireless charger, orange light comes on when plugged in with USB-C, but still completely unresponsive). After troubleshooting with tech support, they offered me a 30% off discount because my roam was outside of warranty. I asked them if they were aware of this issue and told them that several people on the forum have the exact same problem with their roam that occurs conveniently outside of their short warranty period. The representative told me that they were aware of the roam’s issue and requested to get me a replacement… not that I necessarily want a replacement faulty product, but I did want to encourage people to push back a bit because Sonos is aware of this issue. 

Have you tried the 25sec + power button long-press Roam reset (when off it’s charger), followed by a 30 minute charge with a PD USB-C charger (power output between 2A/3A x 5V (10W-15W)) …and then repeat the two steps again, to see if that brings the Roam’s battery back to life?

Did all these things. It’s a total brick. Seems like a known problem they don’t want to deal with or recall

Did all these things. It’s a total brick. Seems like a known problem they don’t want to deal with or recall

I’ve not had an issue with either Sonos Roam I have here .. and same is the case for family/friends, but the answer is to perhaps go back to Sonos Support. Here is their link: https://support.sonos.com/s/contact

I’ve not had an issue with either Sonos Roam I have here .. and same is the case for family/friends, but the answer is to perhaps go back to Sonos Support. Here is their link: https://support.sonos.com/s/contact

If you bothered to read this thread everyone has contacted support and many have described in detail what happened.

If you bothered to read this thread everyone has contacted support and many have described in detail what happened.

I’ve read the thread and many other threads too and have seen the issues reported, from failed batteries to (re)-charging issues and I guess for any such small (mass-produced) portable product, there may always be a percentage of device failures.

Failures often occur within the manufacturers warranty period, particularly where there’s a manufacturing/design fault and those products are almost ‘always’ replaced by any manufacturer. Those that fail outside the warranty period are not always a manufacturing/design fault, especially when a great many of the same products do actually go onto continue to work perfectly.

What you’re seeing here is a one-sided picture of the proportion of people who report their devices failing. They’ve come here to a central point to state what happened to the Roam in their case. - You’re not actually seeing the majority of folk whose devices are continuing to work normally, with no issues. Very few write online to say their products are fine and continue to work with no problems.

I’m just saying the Wife and I have had two Roams approaching 3 years and ours are working fine. So are other Roams owned by family members and friends.

This issue just happened to me too. I have 3 Roams and the newest one just stopped responding to cable charging, but it works with the wireless charging. It’s almost exactly 14 months old. 

What did Sonos Support say when you called them?