sonos roam drops or does not even play

Userlevel 1

For some apps (Netflix, Disney plus, YouTube, etc) on my iPhone or iPad my Sonos roam when connected will play 2 seconds and then go quiet or not even play at all. What can I do to fix this? 

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Rudykn 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Please make sure you have the latest Sonos update: Settings » System » System Updates » Check for Updates.

If that doesn’t help, or you’re already up-to-date, please reboot the Roam as described on our Reboot Sonos products help page.

Userlevel 1

Thanks. I am fully updated and your second suggestion did not work.

Hi team,

I have had this issue since taking delivery - sound will cut out on the Roam after a couple of seconds - on both Bluetooth and Wireless connections, regardless of Wi-Fi band or network. The music will continue playing on the connected device (without sound from the Roam). The battery led typically comes on when powering the Roam on - despite reporting over both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth that it is at 100% battery, Occasionally the top status light will turn purple (there is no entry for purple on the Sonos status light help page so don’t know what this means) - the Roam will also often turn itself off and on again. This happens regardless of whether the Roam is plugged in or on only battery power (though it will occasionally work for a longer period when plugged in). 

I am using Sonos’ own wireless charger to charge the Roam. I am fully up to date both for the Sonos app and on the Roam hardware itself. I can only guess there is a problem with the battery/powering of the Roam in general?

Looking as though it will need replaced unless anyone has experienced this and knows a work-around or a fix? Sonos team - any ideas here?

Thanks,

Callum.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Rudykn & @Airmessy 

I recommend you both get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports..

Have the exact same issue. A week of endless email exchanges with the Sonos IT team to try and identify the root cause of the play back issue. 1 week of daily exchanges and diagnostic test reports being submitted and still no end in sight. HELP !!!!!!

Same issue. I have a Boost about 15 feet from my Roam at all times, it has been plugged in to the charger for a few days and is still not at full charge. I checked all the above suggestions and nothing worked, so I did a hard reset on my phone and that’s the only way I can get it to start playing again. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Sacha1 

I took a look at your case and it seems you’re in the middle of troubleshooting with Lauri. I recommend you stick with it for a while longer - Lauri knows his stuff, but has to discount a few possibilities before coming to any conclusion.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @jillsindallas 

The Boost and Roam will not talk to one another - your Roam will only connect to your WiFi or Bluetooth.

As for the charger, what power does it deliver? I recommend you use a charger that delivers 2 amps at 5 volts.

Regarding playback, are you using Bluetooth? If rebooting the phone fixes it, can you please try using another phone/tablet/device to compare? If you’re not using Bluetooth, do voice commands or the play button work when the app doesn’t? .

I'm having the same issue with my Roam, and I've had it for 3 days.  I have a Move as well.  I never seem to have an issue with the Move playing but the Roam seems to just not play music sometimes. It sometimes plays and sometimes doesn't.  Also, none of the buttons seem to work either.   I can't even turn it off.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Vrienau 

If your Roam doesn’t respond to button presses, please get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos device.

Same here! Same problem, never sync up and play!

So, did you get in touch with the tech support team, as suggested in the post immediately previous to yours?

I have the exact same issue too. It only just started happening… not had the issue before. 

What did the support team say when you called in?

I have all the issues described in here with my Roam. Music says it’s connected and playing but it’s not when not on wifi. Battery light comes on randomly when fully charged. Occasionally all lights are on and buttons are unresponsive. Uncharacteristically low quality control on this product

What did the support team say when you called in?

Hard reset seemed to work for me, for now. Who knows how long it will last…

Rarely does a hard reset resolve issues, most often it masks them for a time, and certainly erases error logs on the speakers that could help Sonos help you, but I’m glad you’re working again. 

Hold power button down for 7 seconds you should hear a power down sound then restart. It worked for me doing that after every use also that helps with battery life.