Answered

Sonos Roam connect to Bluetooth

I am having trouble connecting via Bluetooth to my phone

When pressing and holding the power button the Roam switches itself off before the blue flashing light appears

Has anyone got any tips on how to do this I have followed the online instructions

icon

Best answer by shfawaz 22 April 2021, 22:33

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @GaryBosomworth 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Have you fully set your Roam up in the Sonos app? It will not connect to Bluetooth until setup has been completed.

Once Roam is setup and ready to connect to Bluetooth, please follow the instructions on our Pair Sonos Roam with Bluetooth help page to connect.

Thanks for the reply

I have setup the Roam in the app and it shows up

When I press and hold the button to pair I get a chime but the light does not flash blue and the Roam does not show up in the available devices on my bluetooth app on my phone

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

@GaryBosomworth

Please let go of the button when you hear the third chime - it should be after 2 seconds. I assume that by the time you realise the light is flashing blue, the speaker is turning itself off. 

The chimes you hear will be along the lines of (and forgive me, but what else can I type?)

• dunk - low tone - button is pressed
  • chunk - medium tone - Bluetooth mode (if you’ve paired your Roam to your playback device before, you would let go at this point and hear another “chuck” on a successful connection)
  • ting - high tone - Bluetooth Pairing mode

So for first pairing, let go after 2 seconds on the higher-pitched “ting”. Once initial pairing has been successful and you’re just reconnecting for a later session, you’d let go after 1 second and the 2nd chime “chunk”.

If this doesn’t help, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to analyse what’s happening.

Hi

i am having the same problem. 
have reopened the app and now it is going into room explore, which did not show up before. I thought my roam was completely set up. 
now the problem is the room setup download is hanging…….…

I shall persist. 

Thanks,

Bluetooth connection now works to Apple TV, after the further setup steps. 
cheers. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Hhal 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

have reopened the app and now it is going into room explore, which did not show up before. I thought my roam was completely set up. 
now the problem is the room setup download is hanging…….…

I’m not sure what you mean by Room Explore or Room Setup Download, but to me, your Roam looks setup correctly. Are you still having a problem? If so, perhaps some app screenshots would help me understand? Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I took too long to type! Glad to hear it - enjoy!

Badge

FYI, I had the same problem but it works now.  I’m not sure if waiting fixed it, or Corry P’s advice helped, or both.  So if anyone else has the issue, first wait a few after the Roam is fully setup and then follow Corry’s advice around when to let go of the button.  

I have Sonos 1 so cant work on that...have tried unsuccessfully to set up new account on S2 app but keeps on pushing back to S1.

My purpose in getting Roam was to use with bluetooth without ap!!! ..and also to look at upgrading which I will not be doing any time soon based on this experience!!!

I have had an extended online chat session with Sonos which has not solved the problem, I have been advised to ring technical support and “talk” to an Engineer who can give me additional assistance.

I suspect the device may be faulty and will be returned 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I have Sonos 1 so cant work on that...have tried unsuccessfully to set up new account on S2 app but keeps on pushing back to S1.

My purpose in getting Roam was to use with bluetooth without ap!!! ..and also to look at upgrading which I will not be doing any time soon based on this experience!!!

I had this problem. Make sure you’re selecting set up a new network right at the beginning of the process in the S2 app. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

I’m having the same exact bluetooth pairing problem. I can never get the bluetooth blue pairing light to ever come on, even though when I press the power button, I get the button press acknowledgment tone (1) then the triple-whistle tone (2) which I assume is the bluetooth pairing tone, then, a few more seconds of holding button, I get the power-off triple-tone. At no point do I see the white light turn blue. I’ve tried this with music playing from my S2 Sonos App. With the music paused. With the charging cable attached and detached. Works perfectly with the Sonos App, but I need bluetooth connectivity.  HELP!

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Well, that was easy. Checked for a system update, one was available, downloaded. Bluetooth WORKS!

Software update!!!

Thank you shfawaz

If only Sonos Technical support suggested that when I contacted them, if I was a synic I would say “I wonder how new this update is, shipping product without is is pretty poor” but as I am not….

I cannot connect to this device. What are the product team doing there? I paired and used it a week ago when it arrived. Now it has a permanent orange light, the app can’t connect to it, I can’t change the colour or even turn it off. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

@Damonh 

I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system.

Badge

I”m having the same issue trying to BT pair this to another device while I’m traveling. It’s set up and connected to my iPhone via BT but I want to connect it to my iPad and I can ‘t get the flashing blue lights to come up. It turns off after the 2nd chime. How do I connect this to another device??

Turn off Bluetooth on your phone first. The Roam is likely connecting to that as the ‘first available device’.