Answered

sonos pair disconnecting on a daily basis

I have a pair of Sonos Roams I have set up in my home.

These are plugged in by default and I intend to use them stationary. As such I don't want them to sleep or enter standby when not in use.

Both speakers have very good wifi signal, on channel 11, both have static IPs assigned to them and they are not close to any obstacle or in proximity to a wifi splitter or wifi extender.

The channels used by the speakers are also not in conflict with any other signals in or outside my home.

Very frequently I will find that one of the two is not available on the Sonos app, google voice assistant will inform me there's no wifi and a quick reset will have them up and running again.

I was hoping to avoid this frequent daily reset can I do anything on my end to get this issue solved? Here are a few screenshots taken before and after resting.

Can I provide any diagnos

tics info?

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 14 July 2022, 15:44

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

23 replies

May I ask why you bought Roams rather than Ones, given that you don't plan to use their portability?

I marked this thread as asnwered by mistake.

Sure, I bought the Roams rather than the Ones because I don’t see how a pair of ones would fit my bedroom decor, roams are more discreet and double as bluetooth speakers if the need arises.

Simply put aesthetic + form factor reasons.

@echan42,
Just to mention, I have two Roams here and will try to test this in the next day or so, whilst both are held on their Qi chargers, as I have always thought they remained stereo paired? 

Both Roams do not have their IP’s reserved and are running here on a mesh WiFi setup. 
Sonos Voice Control is installed in my case. So not a perfect match to your setup, but maybe near enough to test/compare things… I will report back what I see tomorrow.

@echan42 

I suspect the issue might be related to your WiFi, as you mention that Google reports that back to you - have you considered changing the IP address lease-time period in your router settings (despite their addresses being reserved, just in case)?

Anyhow I will let you know what happens with my two paired Roams here.

Yes! That is very close to my set-up.
Thanks for offering a helping hand. Make sure you have Energy Saver disabled in the options :)

@echan42,
Just to mention, I have two Roams here and will try to test this in the next day or so, whilst both are held on their Qi chargers, as I have always thought they remained stereo paired? 

Both Roams do not have their IP’s reserved and are running here on a mesh WiFi setup. 
Sonos Voice Control is installed in my case. So not a perfect match to your setup, but maybe near enough to test/compare things… I will report back what I see tomorrow.

Yes! That is very close to my set-up.
Thanks for offering a helping hand. Make sure you have Energy Saver disabled in the options :)

Okay that’s disabled..

@echan42 

I suspect the issue might be related to your WiFi, as you mention that Google reports that back to you - have you considered changing the IP address lease-time period in your router settings (despite their addresses being reserved, just in case)?

Anyhow I will let you know what happens with my two paired Roams here.

Wifi was my first concern too, I’ve just set my IP lease time to 2880 min (so 2 days) wich is the max allowed by my router.

Are there any other options I can set to make sure my Roams and network play nice together?

Wifi was my first concern too, I’ve just set my IP lease time to 2880 min (so 2 days) wich is the max allowed by my router.

Are there any other options I can set to make sure my Roams and network play nice together?

A few quick things I can think of  - here are three things off the top of my head…

• Switch both Roams to use the more penetrating 2.4Ghz band and set that band to the least-used (check via scanner) ‘fixed’ non-overlapping channel 1, 6 or 11 and if the router allows set it’s channel-width to 20Mhz only.
  • Use Whitelist/Backlist MAC filtering to ensure both Roams and the controller device connect to the same nearby WiFi access point (or ideally, the main router WiFi) only.
  • Keep devices in the same room, but not within 1 metre of another WiFi device, or WiFi access point.

A few quick things I can think of  - here are three things off the top of my head…

• Switch both Roams to use the more penetrating 2.4Ghz band and set that band to the least-used (check via scanner) ‘fixed’ non-overlapping channel 1, 6 or 11 and if the router allows set it’s channel-width to 20Mhz only.
  • Use Whitelist/Backlist MAC filtering to ensure both Roams and the controller device connect to the same nearby WiFi access point (or ideally, the main router WiFi) only.
  • Keep devices in the same room, but not within 1 metre of another WiFi device, or WiFi access point.

Noted! All these are in effect.

Just checked and Roams are still paired here so far. Let’s see what happens overnight.

@echan42,
No issues seen overnight/this morning - both Roams are still paired. Will give it another 6 hours, but all looks okay so far.

@echan42,
No issues seen overnight/this morning - both Roams are still paired. Will give it another 6 hours, but all looks okay so far.

Thank you so much Ken, I’m relieved to see this issue does not look replicable so that would mean there’s a solution!

@echan42,

Thank you so much Ken, I’m relieved to see this issue does not look replicable so that would mean there’s a solution!

Whilst I still have 4 or so hours (approx.) still to go, to do the full 24 hour test, it does appear that is the case, unless its a hardware issue, but if you like, that can usually be checked by submitting a diagnostic report from your system and calling/chatting online to Sonos Support Staff via this LINK.

I have a Roam and Roam SL permanently paired, on USB power. I can’t recall the last time either disconnected or unpaired.

It sounds like there could be an issue with the local WiFi. Some more details would be useful about how that’s configured.

In particular this phrase implies that there might be an extender involved somewhere:

Both speakers have very good wifi signal, on channel 11, both have static IPs assigned to them and they are not close to any obstacle or in proximity to a wifi splitter or wifi extender.

@echan42,
Well their pairing didn’t fall apart in the 24hr test done here.

I think it’s likely a wireless network issue. Do the two speakers still play as a pair? ..that would be a useful thing to know and whether the ‘dropped’ speaker can still control the playback on the pair via its hardware buttons? 

I’ve done all the amendments suggested in this thread and last night I experienced a drop-out mid listening session.

This has been an exception since I think applying the Time to Lease on my router to the maximum allowed really made a difference.

When one speaker drops out it cannot be controlled individually, cannot play music and the buttons do not work, to me it seems as if the network functionalities have gone to sleep or simply “lost” it’s IP address.

Could you confirm details of network infrastructure please, such as those suggested by @ratty ? Do you have a mesh network?

I would maybe shift both speakers on their chargers to close proximity of the router, perhaps six feet or so …and well away from any other access points (or switch off other access points, which would be even better) and set a similar distance between the two speakers and then see what happens.

If the IP address lease-renewal (as mentioned) is perhaps thought to be a part of the issue, then if the router allows it, adjust the routers DHCP Reservation table range and reserve the Roams on the subnet outside of the range of server-assigned IP addresses. Sadly my router does not allow me to do that, but many other routers do and that may eliminate any potential leasing issues (perhaps?).

It would be interesting too to perhaps see if the same speaker drops from the network when it’s unpaired and/or their physical positions are swapped, or if they are paired the other way around, but sadly these things all take quite some time to test.

I’d just like to know about these “wifi splitter(s) or wifi extender(s)” that the Roams aren’t in close proximity to. 

I’d just like to know about these “wifi splitter(s) or wifi extender(s)” that the Roams aren’t in close proximity to. 

It’s still not entirely clear if these were actually filtered out of the mix earlier on, as suggested, so I’d like to know that too.

It’s still not entirely clear if these were actually filtered out of the mix earlier on, as suggested, so I’d like to know that too.

Sure! I wasn't clear enough, I'm running 2 Xiaomi AX1800 Wich run OpenWRT with a frontend.

Channels are set to 11 and 44 and the auto channel function is disabled.

The main router is in very close proximity to the two Sonos speakers 3-4m.

The speakers are roughly 1 meter away from each other.

The second router is 8-10m away and behind a few walls to the Sonos speakers, this router has the speakers in it's blacklist.

Both routers are in mesh configuration.

Both MAC addresses are blacklisted in the second router.

I just experienced a dropout.

Also QoS is disabled

@echan42,
So it’s two identical make/model routers one in Bridge mode and operating as a network access point and one running DHCP server and NAT and you have blacklisted your devices and the controller device from the distant AP.

WiFi however is enabled on both devices 2.4Ghz (Ch 11) and 5Ghz (Ch 44).

Did you mention you had reserved the Roams IP addresses in the main router too?

QoS is disabled. (If you have Airtime Fairness then disable that too).

… do I have all that correct?

If so, my initial thoughts are to maybe ensure the Roams are put on the more-penetrating 2.4Ghz band (assuming that the band SSID’s are named differently) and if the router allows, set the bands channel-width to 20Mhz only. 

Also, if convenient, to temporarily switch off the 2.4Ghz band on the distant AP (for good measure and to reduce interference) and then test to see if the Roams unpair.

I also think if the issue persists to try the Roams paired the other way about too, just to see if it’s the same Roam that keeps losing its connection to the network.

Those are the things I would suggest trying.