Sonos Move stopped working

Badge +1

My Sonos move suddenly stopped playing back music, or plays intermittently. Whether playing directly to the move or in a group - example, I create a group with other wired and wireless devices… it shows the music playing on the Move along with the other zones, but there’s no music coming out of it. The other speakers/systems are playing fine. 

Nothing has changed with my network, the Move is in the same spot (even tried moving it closer to the router)… one test today - I started a song in a group with the Move and two other devices. The other devices started playing, the Move did not. 2 minutes into the song, the Move started playing the same song but from the beginning (so it was way out of sync), played for about a minute then stopped. Now won’t play. I’ve tried resetting the Move already.

I’ve had two chats with support already, no resolution - just curious if anyone else has experienced this.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @sakendrick 

Thanks for your post!

This certainly sounds like networking issues to me - it might be that your network hasn’t changed, but it might also be that your neighbour’s has. This could affect the reliability of your network.

As you’ve been in touch with technical support already, I’m going to assume that you’ve already tried rebooting your network. You’ve reset your Move, so it doesn’t need a reboot either.

Could you please recreate the issue, them immediately submit a support diagnostic, replying here with the number given? Thanks.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

@sakendrick and @Corry P 

I have exactly the same issue.  Called support today, it’s apparently a “known issue” with portable speakers.  I was told the development team are working on a fix but no definite eta yet.

Is there somewhere where these “known issues” are published?  It would have saved me, and your support person a lot of time if I’d been able to see it’s already known and that I can just wait for a fix.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @IanJShaw 

@sakendrick and @Corry P 

I have exactly the same issue.  Called support today, it’s apparently a “known issue” with portable speakers.  I was told the development team are working on a fix but no definite eta yet.

Your case is related to portable speakers not playing the first time immediately after the speaker had been in suspended mode (sleep), which @sakendrick did not specifically mention, so it may not apply to them.

Is there somewhere where these “known issues” are published?  It would have saved me, and your support person a lot of time if I’d been able to see it’s already known and that I can just wait for a fix.

Not publicly, no. The Community is your best source of such information.

I hope this helps.

My Move stopped working as well. It wouldn’t respond to power up or down, or any buttons. Support walked me through troubleshooting and I also tried draining the battery and charging it but it doesn’t respond to charging. Support told me it’s a “boot failure” and since it is past the 1 year warranty, they can only offer 30% off of a new product. 

This is so disappointing. Expect your Move to only last a year after the warranty expires. What a complete rip off! Not even any options for repair or replacement parts, etc...Nope you just have to buy a new one...oh but we’ll give you 30% off. 

Gwizz12, 

Your Move is not defective. It’s the Sonos software.

I’ve been experiencing the same issues since the 14.6 update was released. The 14.6.1 update and 14.8 updates did nothing to resolve the issues.But I found 2 interesting things whilst troubleshooting:

If you turn off the unit by holding down the power button for 6 seconds, it will turn off. Remove it from the base. The next time that you want to connect to the Move, just put it on the base. It will take 15 seconds for it to boot and you can usually connect on the first try.

Same kind of issue here with Move. On the app, it shows both Move and Play1 are playing. The wired one indeed plays, but the move only plays for 1 seconde every 10 seconds. I have no clue what to try.

The Sonos 14.10 update is out and seems to solve this issue.

Thanks Sonos for taking 2 months to solve the problem that you created (again).

Hello,

My Sonos move has stopped working completely. The microphone will not turn on, I can’t get it to the bluetooth mode, it will not pair with my wifi and the system app on my Iphone says the the unit can not be found. Everything worked fine when I first bought the unit and now, nothing. I have tried the factory reset and followed very instruction there is on a possible reconnect. Hours later, still nothing.

Please help!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

The factory reset wiped valuable troubleshooting information so your options are now limited. I’d call Sonos support and discuss the issues with them.

My sonos move work out of the box and now can’t connect the troubleshooting on the app is useless. 
disappointing to see the @sonos has not replied to the some of these post in here  

what is the number for support??

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Start here:  https://support.sonos.com/en-us/contact

Phone
Open Monday through Friday
9:00am to 11:00pm ET

(800) 680-2345

Chat
Representatives are available.

Live chat is open Monday through Friday
9:00am to 11:00pm ET

Saturday and Sunday
10:00am to 7:00pm ET

The Sonos Bot is available to help 24/7.

Contacted support and had me back up and running in 5 minutes. Impressive. Thanks guys.