Sonos Move starts Spotify in the middle of the song

• 26 November 2021
  • 34 replies

I’m using a Sonos Move. When I play a song from Spotify through an iPhone X, Sonos starts playing in the middle of the song.  Does anyone know how to resolve this issue?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

34 replies

Same here. Has anyone contacted Sonos or Spotify support? Maybe we should all group into one request, I think this bug is very extended, but people don't ask for help because it's easy to ignore... I didn't until now, and I've been having it for a long time

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @sweetOlive 

Having not seen diagnostics, I have no real opinion.

I highly recommend anyone experiencing this issue get in touch with technical support. If it is indeed a bug, it needs to be documented with cases to be investigated. If it is a bug but not in our software, we can identify it and inform Spotify - this also needs to be documented with cases.

Yep, same here.  This has been happening to me as well for years.  I think there’s clearly a real bug going on.  Whether that’s on the Spotify or Sonos side, I don’t know.  I suspect though it’s based on the Sonos side.  I have tried other wireless speakers with Spotify and have not had this issue with any of them.  

Can we get this (better) documented Corry so that it can be fixed?  I’d guess that many others who aren’t reporting it are experiencing this issue too.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @beansiegal 

Can we get this (better) documented Corry so that it can be fixed?  I’d guess that many others who aren’t reporting it are experiencing this issue too.  

Yes - but only by calling in. Hearsay is no good to our engineers - they need hard evidence to work off of, as well as sound troubleshooting to isolate any actual software issues from environmental ones.

I thought it was just me! This is happening to me still when I initiate anything that is playing through Spotify on my Sonos with Alexa. It’s infuriating.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@Jraward So what did Sonos say when you called them as advised above?

I’ve been experiencing this issue at least for 2 years now, and I’ve always thought it was something wrong with my setup. Same problem: Spotify, two Ikea/Sonos speakers, and songs that start playing not at the beginning.

It’s annoying it didn’t get fixed after all this time…

I’ve been experiencing this issue at least for 2 years now, and I’ve always thought it was something wrong with my setup. Same problem: Spotify, two Ikea/Sonos speakers, and songs that start playing not at the beginning.

My daughter in law had a similar issue with her Spotify account on Sonos and with my help, what she did was the following…

• Logged into Spotify online account and then selected the option to log out of Spotify everywhere.
  • Removed the Spotify App from Sonos
  • Set her routers 2.4Ghz WiFi band to use a fixed non-overlapping channel 1, 6 or 11 and a channel-width of 20Mhz only and rebooted the router.
  • Powered off all Sonos speakers and brought them all back online and then reinstalled the Spotify service via the Sonos App.

Spotify then all worked for her perfectly after doing these things and she has not had an issue since. If she groups her speakers, she now mostly starts that group-playback using the most modern Sonos speaker in her setup, which in her case, is a Sonos Five - So that new(ish) device is usually the group co-ordinator - it has a decent processor/storage for sending all the music to the other devices for playback in sync.

So perhaps see if these things may work for you. 

My daughter in law had a similar issue with her Spotify account on Sonos and with my help, what she did was the following…

• Logged into Spotify online account and then selected the option to log out of Spotify everywhere.
  • Removed the Spotify App from Sonos
  • Set her routers 2.4Ghz WiFi band to use a fixed non-overlapping channel 1, 6 or 11 and a channel-width of 20Mhz only and rebooted the router.
  • Powered off all Sonos speakers and brought them all back online and then reinstalled the Spotify service via the Sonos App.

Spotify then all worked for her perfectly after doing these things and she has not had an issue since. If she groups her speakers, she now mostly starts that group-playback using the most modern Sonos speaker in her setup, which in her case, is a Sonos Five - So that new(ish) device is usually the group co-ordinator - it has a decent processor/storage for sending all the music to the other devices for playback in sync.

So perhaps see if these things may work for you. 

Thank you for all the steps you listed! I will try as soon as possible :)