Answered

Sonos Move randomly turns on?

• 15 October 2019
  • 96 replies

Userlevel 2

I only bought my move 3 days ago and while it doesnt randomly play any music it randomly turns itself on after i've turned it off. My only concern is that it will jack up the battery life. Any way to fix this?

icon

Best answer by Jean C. 14 February 2020, 22:20

View original

96 replies

I just spoke with Sonos about this as I noticed that even when I turn my Moves off properly (five second power off), every time I open the Sonos app, the Moves turn on. But I don't use them all the time with the rest of my system, so they’re sitting in a cupboard with the batteries depleting. 

I was told that this was the intended behavior for the Moves.

They will turn on no matter what you do, when the app is opened. So that is a pain, but there is no “fix” because that’s how they’re supposed to work. That’s the intended behavior. I was told it’s best to leave them on their charging rings at all time so that they’re always full power when I want them. So now I’m putting them in a spot where I can leave them tucked away but still on the charger because I know that whenever I access the rest of my Sonos, the Moves will turn on. Not happy about this, but looks like that’s the way it is.

That’s what I was told by Sonos Support on the phone today (April 21, 2020).

Badge +1

https://en.community.sonos.com/wireless-speakers-228992/move-battery-drain-test-6831876?sort=dateline.desc#comments

There are some comments from RyanS from SONOS in this forum on this problem.

I’m at SW 11.1 and still seeing this issue happening weekly

Very frustrating still no fix

It’s somehow not comforting when various Sonos support people people give entirely different responses to the same issue. I was told two days ago on the phone by a Sonos support person that the turning on is intended behaviour and no “fix” is being worked on because nothing is wrong.

The response from RyanS is completely the opposite response, lol.

I hope that RyanS knows more than the individual with whom I spoke (who did put me on hold for several minutes while she went to find the answer).

I wish I had seen this thread before I bought one of these power hungry devils. I was shocked in the first day of light use to see the low battery light on and 10% remaining after a full charge just the day before and maybe 4 hours of use with (naive single-button-press) power downs between usage sessions. Just did my first full off-the-ring power down and we’ll see. 

This is my only Sonos product and my use case is in an AirPlay 2 setup. It seems that altering the AirPlay playback in any way also wakes the Move. Even if that’s, for example, to pause AirPlay playback on devices that excludes the Move; the Move will power on. That’s disappointing because if I’m not using the Move I’m not thinking about it’s power state. 

I am having the same ongoing issue. As a test I tried holding down the power button for five seconds in an attempt to completely turn off the speaker when it was fully charged. I then left the speaker for a week in the dock with the charger turned off. After turning the speaker back on again the battery charge was completely empty and so the speaker must have turned back on again. Is there another way to turn the speaker completely off to conserve battery levels?!

This seems to be a common problem which I have now too discovered with my Sonos Move recently. I am reporting the issue to support team and hopefully will be able to get some answers.

I, too, am having this issue with Move turning on after being shut down.  I do not have Alexa or Google Play programmed   Do not wish to be listened to but don’t trust it.  I’ve had for 6 days and not happy.anout it. Topic has been going for 4 months with no resolve.   Think I will return and if it’s ever corrected, may give it another try. 

don’t even know if I have the battery drain issue 

Battery drain issue happening for me exactly as described with my recently purchased Move. As promoted by Sonos, raised the issue as a problem. Sadly as indicated above by 1923MainStreet  Sonos support either doesn't talk to each other or hope to fob customers off . My response from Sonos support indicated this is normal behaviour :

From the diagnostic you submitted, we do not see any issues regarding the Move's battery. However, what we did notice is that the device "wakes up" at around half of the lease time to check whether the IP is still available and nothing has changed, then it "goes back to sleep".

Please be informed that this is a normal behaviour for Sonos Move.

If by normal behaviour my battery goes from 100% to less than 20% in fully switched off mode over 5 days this does not match Sonos claims for the battery.

Hello, 

Same problem as everyone else here. My Move is always out of battery because it drains while I’m not using it.

Would love to return it / be able to use it. Searching here for solutions but this thread seems to have been going on for months.

Any news yet?

Cheers,

Simon

Hello,

Same problem for me.

My Sonos move, when it’s out of its charging base, turns on randomly, even if it has been completely shut down.

Is it hardware ? Software ? 

Please Sonos, fix this !!

Same problem here …

This is my first Sonos product … good start :-(

Badge

Diagnostic confirmation number: 1468493453

I removed my Sonos Move from the charging ring, turned it off, packed it, drove to a family house, and turned it on the next day and it was at 84%.

The “power” button is acting more of like a “low power” button and doesn’t completely turn it off. This is a design choice and can be fixed via software. Just do it. 

I got my Sonos Move about 2 weeks ago and I've got the same issue. Incredibly annoying, keeps draining the battery. And I'm definitely turning it off the right way, holding the power button for a few seconds and then releasing until the chime sound.

Same issue here. 

Been behaving this way probably since launch. It’s pretty sad that Sonos can’t solve what is almost certainly just a software issue or a software workaround for a hardware issue.

Badge

I have the Move and the battery life is abhorrent in both “standby” and while playing. As a comparison, I have a Bang & Olufsen Beolit 17 portable speaker. I used it over the weekend, it hasn’t been used nor charged since Thanksgiving 2019. Battery was at 70%. What gives SONOS??????

Badge

Battery drain issue happening for me exactly as described with my recently purchased Move. As promoted by Sonos, raised the issue as a problem. Sadly as indicated above by 1923MainStreet  Sonos support either doesn't talk to each other or hope to fob customers off . My response from Sonos support indicated this is normal behaviour :

From the diagnostic you submitted, we do not see any issues regarding the Move's battery. However, what we did notice is that the device "wakes up" at around half of the lease time to check whether the IP is still available and nothing has changed, then it "goes back to sleep".

Please be informed that this is a normal behaviour for Sonos Move.

If by normal behaviour my battery goes from 100% to less than 20% in fully switched off mode over 5 days this does not match Sonos claims for the battery.

Disappointing and ignorant response from SONOS!

I have the same problem. I will return this product seeing that this issue is common and has  no solution planned

Sonos what’s the answer?

Unfortunately I have the same problem. I can see that Sonos Support advice went from holding the button for 5 seconds, to 10 seconds, then to 15 seconds. None of these work, as after 5 seconds, when the chime sounds, it is powered off! One of my issues with the Move turning itself on randomly, is that the Sonos Ones do the ‘wake-up’ chime when the Move is activated. It did this last night at around 1am and the S1 in the bedroom woke me up! We were both in bed asleep, so there was nothing that could have stimulated it, such as opening the Sonos App, or knocking it. I’ve only had it a few days, so haven’t noticed battery issues yet, but if I turn it off, I expect it to stay off. This needs sorting out with an update, or I will return it.

I have had the move for a few weeks now. I also noticed it turning itself on (from off, not standby). And I’m experiencing battery drain whilst powered off. 

I do not use / have not set up voice control / corporate privacy invasion. 

I turned off the automatic software update feature via the app and I’ve not noticed it turn on again since (1 week ago). 

It still looses battery charge very quickly after turning it off, compared to all other battery devices I have, including a MacBook Pro in sleep mode. Which is fairly poor for the money spent on the Move. If this can be rectified by a software update I would recommend Sonos fix this. It’s pretty pointless having a wireless product that needs to be kept on the charger all the time if you only use an hour or two per day. I’ll just need to remember to manually check for software updates :)

Couldn’t recommend this product with the above faults for this price tag. Sounds fairly good though considering the size. They got that bit right. 

Same problem as described here.. really frustrating: battery drains even when I the unit is off.

and some times, when it’s off the power it makes a sound as if its turning off and that happens (ofcourse) in the middle of the night.

They got some stuff right (the sound, the build, etc.) but I wouldn’t bought the Move if I knew this upfront..

I have had the move for a few weeks now. I also noticed it turning itself on (from off, not standby). And I’m experiencing battery drain whilst powered off. 

I do not use / have not set up voice control / corporate privacy invasion. 

I turned off the automatic software update feature via the app and I’ve not noticed it turn on again since (1 week ago). 

It still looses battery charge very quickly after turning it off, compared to all other battery devices I have, including a MacBook Pro in sleep mode. Which is fairly poor for the money spent on the Move. If this can be rectified by a software update I would recommend Sonos fix this. It’s pretty pointless having a wireless product that needs to be kept on the charger all the time if you only use an hour or two per day. I’ll just need to remember to manually check for software updates :)

Couldn’t recommend this product with the above faults for this price tag. Sounds fairly good though considering the size. They got that bit right. 

Hello there

I’m still learning about my 2 Sonos move but for this question I have no answer ( yet? :-) )

My 2 sonos move are configured correctly on my Wifi. I do not have set up voice recognition or control.  I have turned them off (button on the back and led on the top off) and go to sleep. They are both plugged for battery recharge during the night.

When I wake up I discover that both are powered on, the power led on top was switched on. No one was touching the power button during the night.

Can you please explain how the hard power off status can be changed to on magically?

I’m asking because I will be travelling (7 hours drive) and I do not want the battery to discharge during this trip, but if the hard power off button is not working, I’m wondering what’s used for then? 

Thanks

Badge

I have a lot of Sonos products, and bought a Sonos Move for occasional use outside. Unfortunately the device rapidly drains the battery even after beeing completely turned off. (Long press → Chime).

After a couple of weeks, the battery is at zero, and needs a recharge if I want to use the product outside. It doesn’t make sense that the Move must be docked and powered on at all times, if you just need to use it once or twice a month.

Please fix this issues Sonos - thanks.

Same issue here, submitting a support claim went nowhere (have you tried factory reset?! lol)...I thought switching to Bluetooth function before hard power off worked at first, but sure enough I opened the Sono app and the Move was available for use and powered on again. Sonos please fix this. If I wanted another component that was always available I would have bought one, this is a portable speaker that I want on-demand and for the battery to be intact from the last time I used. I hope you release an update soon to correct this please.

Hi,

Not sure if you have tried this, but when you turn your move off- hold the power button for 5 seconds. This completely turns the unit off. If you just press it, it will use power. Also, doing the 5 second power off should prevent it from turning back on.. I've had no issue with doing it this way, but did have problems with just the single press option.

To turn the unit back on, just do a 5 second hold again.

Hope this helps.

Badge

@Jean C. I just purchased my Sonos Move two days ago and update it to the latest version, but the issue is still not fixed yet, if I turn it to sleep mode (off the chargin base), it will wake up in around 20 mins, are you working on fix this issue?