Answered

Sonos Move randomly turns on?

• 15 October 2019
  • 96 replies

Userlevel 2

I only bought my move 3 days ago and while it doesnt randomly play any music it randomly turns itself on after i've turned it off. My only concern is that it will jack up the battery life. Any way to fix this?

icon

Best answer by Jean C. 14 February 2020, 22:20

View original

96 replies

The Sonos move it doesn't turn on by itself, the problem is
you are not turning off the speaker completely

That is unfortunately not true. Also turned off completely after hearing the turn off chime, it will eventually turn itself on again. Not sure about the interval. But it does and many people have the same issue.

Has there been an answer as to why the move turns on by itself?

Hello, mine is showing same boring behaviour… any fix under preparation?

Badge

Just set up my new Move a couple of days ago. And have already experienced the unit turning itself back on after I power it off. From the thread this looks like an issue Sonos needs to address.

Mine keeps turning on. I tried the “hard” off last night but by the time I woke up it was back on!

I didn’t connect to any voice activation programs. I specially didn’t want that and the tech I chatted with said it wouldn’t be a problem. 

Anyone finding an answer? 

Same issue. This is a software bug. How did they not see this use case coming? PLEASE PATCH SOON! Make the power button do what ANY other speaker does. Turn it OFF! Thinking of returning

Userlevel 1
Badge

With the recent ‘end of software’ email from Sonos that has appeared in my inbox, I would be interested to hear what Sonos’ plans are to fix this fundamental issue with one of its ‘modern’ products...

Same thing happened here. I have called them and they said the unit was bad and sent another one, but the new one does the same thing. I guess the only fix for now is to keep it on the charger. Hope they come up with a better fix. 

I have the same issue!   I returned my first one after I went through the Sonos Case issue system .  They sent me a new device .. but now, the replacement device is doing the same thing ( turning on by itself)

It is NOT on  charging base, I held the power button to insure it was completely powered down - now one week later , I hear it playing on its own in my closet 

Sonos.. PLEASE listen to us and provide a fix.   This is unacceptable 

SAJ - Milwaukee 

Badge +1

My Sonos Move is also powering on spontaneously, after full or hard power off.  Can be days later and accompanies significant battery drain as well eg 15% in 7 days.  Have raised a case, advised its escalated, assisted with diagnostics but no indication of resolution.  It’s a very annoying fault as battery depletes and/or unit powers on when wanting to put away in medium term storage eg when I’m away.  Sonos please apply some resources to this to fix it.  Its not normal or expected behavior and not what I paid for.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi there everybody. It does look like this is an issue that we are tracking with some of our Move speakers. 

If you haven’t already started a troubleshooting ticket with our support team I would encourage you to do so. 

When issues like this sprig up the more information we can gather about the issue will help us resolve the problem. 

Creating a case with us will also allow us to notify you when the issue is resolved. 

Thank you for your patience and cooperation as we work to figure this out.

The Move’s power management is far from optimal. I have mine in the bathroom and thought it would only use power when being used or use minimal power when not. Instead the battery depletes at an alarming rate. Other mobile products I have used don’t work like this. 

One of the issues is when I open the sonos app it automatically ‘wakes’ the move. I was hoping to keep the move in the bathroom for at least a week before charging, instead it lasts about a day. It desperately needs better power management options within the app as wandering around with a 3kg speaker back to charging station all the time is not really how many people use these mobile speakers. my Cambridge Go can last a month without a charge as it doesn’t use at battery when off. 

i think this is a big flaw in this product which desperately needs sorting. 

Jean, 

I already submitted a ticket. I was sent a new move as I guess the we’re assuming it was my unit and the new one does the same thing. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello there @bsolomon82, how long does your Move last on battery power without being on the charger?

Are you able to fully power off the unit by pressing the power button and leaving it off of the charging ring?

You can find more specific instructions on the Move here.  

Please feel free to  submit a diagnostic report and post the confirmation number here so that we can look into this with you. 

just fired off an email to Patrick

Hi Personal Assistant 

Love the sound of the Move

Only one criticism, when I turn the Move off, i want it to stay off.

The reason being is because I use mine in a campervan (wild camping) If it’s turning it’s self on, it’s wasting battery power.

If I’m in the vicinity, & awake, I can turn it off.

If I’m asleep..... you get the drift.

This behaviour happens both on the base charger, or off.

I am not the only person with a Move who is experiencing this.

On the forum, we are told that Sonos is aware of the problem, & told to raise a ticket.

I would say that’s a major problem.

When yr get a chance mention it to Patrick.

Kind Regards 

thought I would pass on a response to my letter.

hope it helps others

“I understand you would like to fully power off the Sonos Move, so it doesn't start up on its own. This should only happen when the Sonos Move is in sleep mode.

The Sonos Move has two power settings: Sleep and Power off modes. 

How to enter the modes:
Sleep Mode - Short press of Power Button to enter and exit
Powered off - Hold Power Button for about 10 seconds or until the Sonos Move plays a sound

Please note that while Sleeping or Powered off lithium ion batteries will continue to discharge. It's suggested you charge the Sonos Move when possible.

How many days until the Sonos Move needs to be charged to power back up:
Sleeping Mode - about 6 days
Powered off Mode - about 30 days

Please note: the times for the two modes are variable based upon battery usage history.”

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks Loucypher, however the response from Sonos does not address the issue. Even with a full ten second ‘power off’ my Move keeps turning itself back on again! 

To anybody from Sonos reading this thread, I have submitted a diagnostic report, 1904798772, and I look forward to a swift resolution to this issue...

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi there  @ianacwilliams,

Thank you for reaching out to the community with your diagnostic report.

If you have removed the Move from the charging ring, try pressing and holding the power button for 15+ seconds.

Once the speaker is “off” press the “Join” button once. If the speaker is fully powered down it will not respond to this button press. 

Left out of the charging ring, it should remain powered off. 

If it spontaneously powers back on after this, we are gathering information on these occurrences and I recommend that you reach out to our support team  and start a troubleshooting ticket.

Information collected through the troubleshooting process can help us target and resolve the issue since there is not yet a resolution.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi Jean,

To confirm, my Sonos Move turns itself on when fully powered down and when left off or on the charging ring. This is a clear design issue that a number of units seem to be having.

I have submitted a ticket as requested.

Many thanks,

Ian

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @ianacwilliams 

If you leave it out of the charging ring, the Move should remain powered down.

If you place it back in the charging ring it may power on to charge or receive updates.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi Jean,

It should remain powered off, but it doesn’t, and when the unit is left off the charging ring and the unit turns itself on again (sometimes after a number of hours) the battery then completely drains...

Ian

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @ianacwilliams, which is exactly why we want to track the ones that aren’t behaving as expected.

Thank you for submitting a ticket with support, by the way, direct user feedback is the first step to getting things fixed. 

Just a general FYI that putting it back on the charging ring will essentially turn it back on.

To be able to verify that the power-on is spontaneous, it’s important that it doesn’t end up on the charger in the interim.   

Badge

Same here.

Of course I switch It off by pressing 5 seconds and hearing the "closing" tone to make sure.

Nevertheless, today I have noticed while having breakfast that it has switched on because I see the low battery red light beeping. 

Could it be that it switches on when hearing noise? I mean that the microphone is not completely switched on?

EDIT:

I've just the app and it was "off". I check the speaker and it is really off. So red light beeping because of low battery even with the speaker off? I switch it on and app says has 82% battery. What is happening here?

I just run the diagnostic 1916437599.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi Baimendi,

After a lot of email dialogue with Sonos support and no resolution, I was asked to phone up the Sonos helpline. A decision was then made to send out a brand new unit to replace the first unit. I will let you know how I get on with the new one…

Ian

Badge

I just got mine a week ago, and noticed the same issue. However, a few days ago, I tried switching it from wifi to blue tooth and it does not seem to still be turning on. Has anyone else noticed that that may be a solution to this problem?