Answered

Sonos move only blinks white

• 13 November 2022
  • 15 replies

I’ve searched on here for any fixes but can’t find any. After working fine for a couple of years my Sonos Move now just has a permanent blinking white light on the top and no amount of resetting etc will fix it. When i hold down the power button it will eventually turn off the light but i don’t get the usual chime sound. Turning it back on and resetting just results in it coming back to life silently with the blinking white light again.

icon

Best answer by Sotiris C. 18 November 2022, 13:22

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hello @SJBFinland and welcome to the Sonos Community.

Non-stop flashing white LED on the Sonos Move means that it’s trying to boot up, or simply trying to connect to a network and is unsuccessful.

You can find more information for the LED status lights here.

It is not clear if the reset process you are following is completed successfully, as the Sonos Move has a slightly different process than the rest Sonos products. Is the Sonos Move LED flashing green afterwards?

If yes then simply follow the process of setting up your Sonos Move.

If not then I suggest you reach out to Sonos Support, as they can assist you further.

I hope that helped.

Sotiris C

Hello,

I’m having the exact same issue. I’ve tried to factory reset my Sonos Move but no matter how long I hold the Join button after setting it to the base, it won’t ever flash orange and white.

Have you found how to solve this?

Did you reach out to Sonos Support, as recommended in the previous post to yours?

Hello,

I’m having the exact same issue. I’ve tried to factory reset my Sonos Move but no matter how long I hold the Join button after setting it to the base, it won’t ever flash orange and white.

Have you found how to solve this?

Just in case…

Did you power the Move ‘off’ completely before starting the factory reset process?

Off its charger press/hold rear top power button for 5+ seconds until you hear the descending tones… then wait 10+ seconds and then press/hold rear bottom join (infinity) button whilst returning it to charger and keep the button pressed until you see the status LED flash Amber. Let go and wait until the LED flashes green before adding it back to your Sonos system.

Did you power the Move ‘off’ completely before starting the factory reset process?

Yes I did, but note there was no descending tones. As mentioned in this original post, my Move has not emitted any sound ever since this started to occur.

Did you reach out to Sonos Support, as recommended in the previous post to yours?

I did not yet. I was hoping @SJBFinland solved his issue and provide the solution. It’ll be my next step I suppose.

Yes I did, but note there was no descending tones. As mentioned in this original post, my Move has not emitted any sound ever since this started to occur.

it sounds to me like you are just putting the device just into sleep mode and not powering off the Move completely - that would explain why it’s not factory resetting. I would give it another try - I’ve just tested this and I hear the descending tones with the latest software. Once you hear those tones, then wait 10 seconds and perhaps go onto try the reset process again and don’t let go the join button until you see the flashing Amber status LED.

I did not yet. I was hoping @SJBFinland solved his issue and provide the solution. It’ll be my next step I suppose.

Sadly not good news. Sonos can not resolve the issue and because I’ve has the move for TEO years it is out of warranty. The best they can suggest is that I return it to them at my own cost abc they will give me a 30% discount for a new one. Pretty shocking service, especially as it seems to be a recurring issue 

@SJBFinland,
I’m not sure it’s a recurring issue🤔? - have you tried removing the battery for a couple of minutes to see if that perhaps may resolve the issue and allow you to then reset it?

Didn’t know I could remove the battery! Will have a look

Didn’t know I could remove the battery! Will have a look

See link…

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/replace-the-battery-in-your-sonos-move

Just remove it for a few minutes and put the same one back. See if that resolves the issue. Nothing ventured and all that..

Sadly it didn’t fix it. I think it’s a gonner and out of warranty too 

Sadly it didn’t fix it. I think it’s a gonner and out of warranty too 

Ah sorry to hear that, it was worth a try. Let’s hope you have a much better New Year. 👍

I also had exactly the same problem: switched back from bluetooth, then no sound from the Sonos Move. I had a continuous white light and the unit stayed on. I turned it off and let it charge overnight. When I turned it on the next day, the white light was blinking and no sound at all.

I opened the Sonos app and saw that it had a connection to the Move although it wouldn’t play any music. The music would play on the app but no sound from the speaker. 

I saw that an update was available and tried that.

After the update all works well.

Same issue here. I removed the battery and no luck. I called technical support and they were useless. The guy didn’t even know where the buttons were (like he wasn’t even familiar with the product). What a waste of $400 and I WAS a loyal SONOS customer...now I have an expensive paperweight sitting around.

Shame on SONOS for not even trying to help or offering me a replacement.

Same issue here. I removed the battery and no luck. I called technical support and they were useless. The guy didn’t even know where the buttons were (like he wasn’t even familiar with the product). What a waste of $400 and I WAS a loyal SONOS customer...now I have an expensive paperweight sitting around.

Shame on SONOS for not even trying to help or offering me a replacement.

If the Move is still under warranty, it will be replaced, that’s unless you’ve done something to invalidate the cover. If it’s not under warranty and broken, then the lesson to learn ‘perhaps’  is to consider extending the warranty period on any such goods - whether that be Sonos, or any other manufacturers product. Some suppliers of Sonos products in the U.K. offer a 6 year warranty, but separate warranty cover is also available, with some competitive offers online.