Answered

Sonos Move not connection to Project VTE BT

Hello all!

So my girlfriend tried for a long time to convince me to go full Sonos and recently i caved. We had a beam but we have bought a Move and are planning to buy a couple of One's aswell. 

To go full Sonos i got rid of my old BT Marley speaker. I used that speaker with the Project VTE BT record player and it worked like a charm. No we have bought the Move solely for that purpose and it won't connect. No matter what we try…

Steps we have done:

• Fully disconnect the Project from power
  • Reset the switch behind the VTE BT a couple of times
  • Put Move in pairing mode first
  • Wait endlessley till it connects

I am a bit in a pickle, we bought the Move specificly for this purpose (no wires, yeah!). If it doesn't work i will feel really bummed..

Anyone has an idea? Other posts don't help sadly

Thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 17 January 2023, 11:22

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Can you confirm that you’ve setup the Move on wi-fi before you try to connect via BT?

Is the Move status light flashing blue?

Unable to pair a Bluetooth device with Sonos | Sonos

Hello,

Yes i have done that. It also shows up in the Sonos app when connected to WiFi and i can adjust the settings. Pressing the button will switch it to BT mode and holding it will give it the start pairing chime.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hello,

Yes i have done that. It also shows up in the Sonos app when connected to WiFi and i can adjust the settings. Pressing the button will switch it to BT mode and holding it will give it the start pairing chime.

As a test can you connect your phone or any other BT device to the Move?

Hello,

It might be the case that the BT profile on the speaker is perhaps incompatible with the BT 5.0 that’s in use by the TT - you are probably best to submit a Sonos diagnostic report after an attempt at pairing the devices and note the reference number and then contact Sonos Support Staff via this link below and see what they can discover from your diagnostic:

https://support.sonos.com/s/contact

Hello,

As a test can you connect your phone or any other BT device to the Move?

It connects flawlessly to a phone 

Hello,

It might be the case that the BT profile on the speaker is perhaps incompatible with the BT 5.0 that’s in use by the Move - you are probably best to submit a Sonos diagnostic report after an attempt at pairing the devices and note the reference number and then contact Sonos Support Staff via this link below and see what they can discover from your diagnostic:

https://support.sonos.com/s/contact

Thats what i thought aswell however, Sonos is selling Project products aswell. I presume they tested first if it works and all?

Thats what i thought aswell however, Sonos is selling Project products aswell. I presume they tested first if it works and all?

Yes, I’ve not noticed too many issues with compatibility. The Pro-Ject TT’s that Sonos sell however are wired (RCA) to the Sonos ecosystem using devices like the Sonos Port, rather than a BT connection.

Presumably you’ve tested the Move pairing works with your mobile/tablet? If so, make sure the Move is not pairing back to the mobile device, rather than looking for the connection to your TT. The status LED on the Move should continually flash blue when it’s trying to pair and will turn solid blue when it is paired.

Yes, I’ve not noticed too many issues with compatibility. The Pro-Ject TT’s that Sonos sell however are wired (RCA) to the Sonos ecosystem using devices like the Sonos Port, rather than a BT connection.

Presumably you’ve tested the Move pairing works with your mobile/tablet? If so, make sure the Move is not pairing back to the mobile device, rather than looking for the connection to your TT. The status LED on the Move should continually flash blue when it’s trying to pair and will turn solid blue when it is paired.

Yes, i made sure that all BT devices in the area are turned off. Even shut down if possible. Somehow it simply won't find eachother. I am sure that individually they work (tested before). 

I am thinking of getting a Sonos Five or Port, however that goes against the no-wire idea a bit. 

Yes, i made sure that all BT devices in the area are turned off. Even shut down if possible. Somehow it simply won't find eachother. I am sure that individually they work (tested before). 

I am thinking of getting a Sonos Five or Port, however that goes against the no-wire idea a bit. 

Is the status LED continually flashing blue? - the Move will initially try to connect back to its ‘last pairing’, so perhaps first delete (forget) that pairing from your mobile BT list.  Also when it is in pairing mode, it will definitely show up on your mobile device BT list that it’s looking to be paired (usually at the bottom of the list). See screenshot attached - when it appears for discovery/pairing, then enable the ‘pairing’ mode on the turntable nearby and see if they then pair - if not, then I would perhaps give Sonos Support a call, as mentioned earlier.

The mobile device in the above steps is used just to show the Move is trying to pair - obviously do not pair it to the mobile. Hope that assists.

Is the status LED continually flashing blue? - the Move will initially try to connect back to its ‘last pairing’, so perhaps first delete (forget) that pairing from your mobile BT list.  Also when it is in pairing mode, it will definitely show up on your mobile device BT list that it’s looking to be paired (usually at the bottom of the list). See screenshot attached - when it appears for discovery/pairing, then enable the ‘pairing’ mode on the turntable nearby and see if they then pair - if not, then I would perhaps give Sonos Support a call, as mentioned earlier.

The mobile device in the above steps is used just to show the Move is trying to pair - obviously do not pair it to the mobile. Hope that assists.

Yeah tried that aswell but same result. I will see what Sonos support says about this

Yeah tried that aswell but same result. I will see what Sonos support says about this

Okay, let us know how it goes - I did look on YouTube to see if I could find a case where that TT is BT paired with a Move, but j could only find it wired to a Sonos Five line-in, so no luck there either. Hope you can get it sorted. 👍

Setting aside the bluetooth connection issue for a second, you should know that when the Move is in bluetooth mode, it cannot connect and play in sync with your other Sonos speakers.  It will essentially function the same way your Marley speaker did. 

If you’re looking for a way to get audio from the turntable to play on the rest of your Sonos system via bluetooth, then you would need the Sonos Roam.  Though smaller and cheaper, it is the newer product and has this feature while the Move does not.  If you are ok with connecting via RCA cables, you can use a Port, Amp or Five.   There is also a new Project TT that was recently announced that can connect to Sonos over WiFi, eliminating the need for any other product in between.  I don’t know if it’s been released yet or how well it works.

Setting aside the bluetooth connection issue for a second, you should know that when the Move is in bluetooth mode, it cannot connect and play in sync with your other Sonos speakers.  It will essentially function the same way your Marley speaker did. 

If you’re looking for a way to get audio from the turntable to play on the rest of your Sonos system via bluetooth, then you would need the Sonos Roam.  Though smaller and cheaper, it is the newer product and has this feature while the Move does not.  If you are ok with connecting via RCA cables, you can use a Port, Amp or Five.   There is also a new Project TT that was recently announced that can connect to Sonos over WiFi, eliminating the need for any other product in between.  I don’t know if it’s been released yet or how well it works.

So, i have an update where your anwser was a inspiriation for. Reading about the Roam made me go to the store and buy it to find out if it works. And yes, to my joy it did. Aswell as maintaining the connection to the other Sonos Device. So my solution in this case was buying the Roam and returning the Move. Now it works flawlessly and also purchased two Sonos One's to accompany the Beam for a surround listening experience. Thanks for all the help!