Sonos Move : connection with Bluetooth turntable MARLEY + Sonos Five

Userlevel 1
  • Contributor II
  • 6 replies

Hello,

Do you know if it is possible to connect a Sonos Move with it? :

> A Bluetooth turntable (brand: MARLEY)

> Pair with a Sonos Play:5 (2nd generation)

Are there any constraints?

Thank you,

Moderator edit: changed Five gen 1 to Play:5 gen 2 for accuracy

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Pair: no, but Group: yes. They will need to be on your wifi network. 

Userlevel 1

Thanks for your reply !

By “group”, you mean that is still possible to broadcast sound through a Sonos Play5 and a Sonos Move in the same time ? (i’m not sure to exactly understand meaning og "group").

Concerning connecting Sonos Move with a bluetooth turntable, do know if it’s does really work (with all bluetooth device) or there is restriction ? Does it work with specific bluetooth turntable or any brands can works ?

Thanks again

In ‘Sonos speak’, which we use a lot around here, ‘pair’ means to set up speakers as a stereo pair, where one is handling the left signal, and the other the right. ‘Grouping’ means that both speakers involved are getting both channels, and just playing in sync. 

As @nik9669a is saying, it’s not possible to set up two different types of Sonos speakers as a stereo pair, but you absolutely can group them, so the music is in sync. 

Further to what @nik9669a mentions, when playing the TT Bluetooth audio, the Move disconnects from the WiFi network when in BT mode and so cannot play the TT audio to any other Sonos devices - so that type of audio input will play on the Move only.

However if the TT has an RCA line-level output, then you could connect that to the line-in on the Play:5 (gen2) instead and that Speaker can then be ‘grouped’ (over WiFi) to the Move and that will allow you to play the TT audio to all Sonos products in your system.

And I concur with @Ken_Griffiths , I was focused on the group/pair aspect of the post, but the Move itself does not share the Bluetooth input to the larger Sonos ecosystem. Oddly, the smaller and less expensive (and designed later, which may feed into that change) Roam does share that Bluetooth signal. 

It does make one wonder if/when the Move will be updated with new hardware to allow that. If it were merely a software change, they would have already done that. 

Moderator edit: added “Roam” for clarity

Userlevel 1

@Ken_Griffiths @Airgetlam

Your explanation are so clear !! 🙌 🙌
Thanks a lot !!

And what I understand, is that it's possible to transmit a bluetooth signal thanks to Roam (but not Move).

But it means other Sonos equipment in your house must be compatible with bluetooth i presume.

In other words, if I buy Roam, will I be couldn't sync it with my Play Five ?
(And you quote Play Five "gen2" in your comments. Does it mean there are effectively 2 generations of Play Five available on the market ? If it's the case, I suppose mine is from the first gen. Pretty sur

@Ken_Griffiths @Airgetlam

Your explanation are so clear !! 🙌 🙌
Thanks a lot !!

And what I understand, is that it's possible to transmit a bluetooth signal thanks to Roam (but not Move).

But it means other Sonos equipment in your house must be compatible with bluetooth i presume.

In other words, if I buy Roam, will I be couldn't sync it with my Play Five ?
(And you quote Play Five "gen2" in your comments. Does it mean there are effectively 2 generations of Play Five available on the market ? If it's the case, I suppose mine is from the first gen. Pretty sur

There are 3 generations of that speaker …

• Play:5 (gen1)
  • Play:5 (gen2)
  • Sonos Five

Your online Sonos  should show you which version you have. I have also attached an image that may assist you - gen1/gen2 comparison.

Userlevel 1

Ok, i have the Play:5 (gen2), i confirm 😅 ! 

Thanks @Ken_Griffiths  !

Ok, i have the Play:5 (gen2), i confirm 😅 ! 

Thanks @Ken_Griffiths  !

If your Marley TT is this one, or similar, with RCA line-out, I would wire it to your Play:5 (gen2) and enable the pre-amp.

https://www.thehouseofmarley.com/stir-it-up-wireless-turntable

The wired connection will likely be far more stable than a Bluetooth connection.

Userlevel 1

Hello @Ken_Griffiths 

I confirm, I've connected my Marley TT with my Play:5 (gen2) thanks by wire and it works !

Thank you :)

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

My set of Fives, connected to my turntable is actually my fave Sonos ‘room’ - I love the mix of traditional + tech!