Skip to main content
Answered

software update Roam SL

I'm not able to complete the software update for my Sonos roam sl. I'm using android phone Asus Rog phone 7. The speaker connected to WiFi showing in the app but when it comes to the update it says error 1101 and when I try again it shows error 1106. I tried for hours to reset everything my phone my router my speaker. The WiFi works just fine for everything else but the Sonos app. I'm really angry I don't understand why I have to go through all this update hustle to use a Bluetooth speaker. I will never use WiFi on it. I should be able to just turn it on and blast some music. Now it looks like I have bought a 200 dollar paperweight 

27 replies

Same problem here, really sad that the quality of the software does not match the price and the sound quality of the speakers

Badge

I tried to use the old version of the app hoping to solve the issue, but even though I switched all auto updates off, the app didn't let me add my speaker but asked for an update to the new app. I've got the speaker nearly a week now and I still didn't hear a single note from it.....shame on you Sonos

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Mr.Vik & @Anthero 

Welcome to the Sonos Community! Apologies for the delay.

We’d like to look into this error 1101 issue for you all. Could you please recreate the issue and submit a support diagnostic immediately after? Please post here to let me know you have done so, but please don’t share the number you are given at the end of the process. Thanks.

If you have the option, you may find that you are able to complete the updates from a different controller - please try updating from within the Desktop Controller for either macOS or Windows, if you can. You can download it here. Please be sure to submit diagnostics from your phone first, however.

I hope this helps.

Badge

I just sent the diagnostics, I'm sorry for the delay I've been in Germany and my hotel WiFi didn't work well enough for me to connect the speaker. By now I'm very disappointed with Sonos and if the update isn't working by Monday I will take it back to the store and buy other portable speaker that doesn't require hours of glitchy app update torture to work. That's how it should be with a portable BT speaker, all this app nonsense should be optional for the roam.... Just charge turn on and enjoy

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Mr.Vik 

Apologies for the delay.

We have identified an issue affecting some users where they receive a 1101 error when updating products. We are investigating, but do not have an ETA for a fix at this time.

In the meantime, you may be able to workaround this issue by performing the software updates via the Desktop app for Windows or Mac. If you already have the Desktop app installed, please reset the Desktop app after receiving the 1101 error in the mobile app before attempting the update from the Desktop controller (Help > Reset Controller). If you don’t already have the Desktop app installed, there's no need to reset it once it is installed. You can find the Desktop controller on our downloads page.

I hope this helps.

Badge

It would be nice to try but I don't have a computer I only use my phone. So I think this is it, since there is no ETA to fix this problem, I'll return the speaker at the first opportunity and never ever buy Sonos again.  I just needed a portable speaker to use in my forklift and I wanted something premium with excellent build quality and top sound. I see now I made a mistake I should have stuck by JBL as most of my friends do, now they laugh at me. Thank you very much Sonos

Badge

Ps. I'm really sorry that I have to give up the speaker over something as trivial as a software update. I want to use it so bad....

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Mr.Vik 

I understand your frustration. Please check for both Sonos system software updates (Settings icon » Manages » System Updates » Check for Updates), and for Sonos app updates in the App/Play Store - we suspect this Error 1101 issue when updating may have been resolved already.

I hope this helps.

Badge

That's excellent news😊. I'll try as soon as I get home from work.I hope it's not too good to be true🤨

Badge

It was too good to be true. Still the speaker doesn't update. I just spend a couple of hours trying to get it done.....again. By now I am fed up with stupid nonresponsive Sonos app. Even Sonos as a company, they know about this issue still they keep on selling roam speakers even though they know the customer will not be able to use it. If I was American I would be taking Sonos to court for emotional damages 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Mr.Vik 

Again, I understand your frustration. Please allow me to assure you that your new Roam SL will be useable some time soon.

Apologies - it seems there is a separate known issue relating specifically to adding Roam SLs to a system, though your description of what was happening does not match what’s on my documentation for the issue. Could you please Direct Message me your Roam SLs serial number? I’d like to verify whether or not you are affected by this issue. Thanks.

I have a similar issue with a Sonos roam sl I just bought. I can’t connect it to the app and after connecting to the internet, says it has problems updating and shows error 1101. I’ve tried restarting modem, router, app , everything. Is this the issue you have found? When will it be fixed? And why can’t I just connect my portable Bluetooth speaker by Bluetooth. If it is not fixed soon I will be returning this dodgy thing and buying a jbl. 

I have the same issue with my Sonos ROAM SL - have tried all the recommended fixes but they do not work. Very disappointing for a brand new premium product. Dodgy.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Kaziiiii 

The issue I found does not involve the Error 1101 report. Instead, setup fails at wireless setup with the error message “Mobile Device Could Not Connect To Sonos, try moving closer”. Looking further into it as I just did, I no longer think it applies to anyone seeing the 1101 error, including @Mr.Vik. In addition, it does not apply to all Roam SLs - in fact, probably not many at all.

So, if anyone sees the 1101 error message, it’s most likely due to not having the most recent version of the Sonos app which contained a fix for this issue. However, if you have the latest version and still see error 1101, then I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

We did take onboard the criticism of customers not being able to use our portable, Bluetooth-capable speakers out-of-the-box without prior registration, which is why our newer portable products - Roam 2 and Move 2, as well as Ace headphones - all support doing exactly this. So, an option for you might be to replace your Roam SL with a Roam 2 - you’ll be able to take it out of the box and connect it straight to your Bluetooth source device without opening the Sonos app at all.

I hope this helps.

I deleted and downloaded the app on my iPhone 13 and this did not solve the problem. I also downloaded the app on my Lenovo think pad and it did not recognise the foam sl, even after I checked firewall settings to ensure they were compliant. Is Sonos offering to replace the SL with the newer version? If so, can Sonos do this with clients in Bangkok Thailand? Thanks for the support. 

Badge

I deleted and downloaded the app on my iPhone 13 and this did not solve the problem. I also downloaded the app on my Lenovo think pad and it did not recognise the foam sl, even after I checked firewall settings to ensure they were compliant. Is Sonos offering to replace the SL with the newer version? If so, can Sonos do this with clients in Bangkok Thailand? Thanks for the support. 

😂No chance Sonos is replacing our speakers with new ones we have to do it ourselves 🤑

What version of the ios app is the newest that’s supposed to have the fixed bug? Because I’m pretty sure I have the latest version but just checking. And also every time I’ve called tech support they give me an estimated queue time but it’s always gone 2 or 3 times over that (1 hr +) and I have things to do so I can’t stay on the phone for that long. 

Hello Sonos support team. I have exactly the same issue as the one reported in this thread. System says SL Roam needs an update and it's never able to complete , and shows an Error 1000.

I have tried everything : reboot system, reinstall Sonos app, unplug all my other sonos, change wifi. Nothing works.

I already spent almost 6 hours on this... Just to plug in a simple bluetooth speaker.

This is totally unacceptable and given you don't have a solve , like many customers on this thread, I will file a complaint at the DGCCRF (direction de la concurrence et de la répression des fraudes) in France. 

It's a scam to sell 'premium speakers' and then let your consumers with a software that just don't work. I will also spread this message in social network.

Badge

Finally after 2 weeks of suffering I came to visit my dad and used his pc to add my roam to my account and now I can use the speaker I payed for. I must admit it sounds great for a portable speaker......I still consider the emotional damage court case though😤

Now it works🥳 1. restore the application to factory settings 2. delete the application 3. install the application again 4. restore sonos roam to factory settings.  5. reset the internet connection.  6. install a new system and update the sonos roam speakers

I have also fixed my problem using a work pc. Then had 24 hours of issues with the app recognising my Apple Music library, but seems to have resolved itself now. On the upside, sound quality is great for such a small speaker. Hopefully they can solve their tech issues because the latest saga has me seriously worried about the longevity of my 3 products.

Would it be possible for sonos to make an update that would allow sonos roams to play in stereo as a pair, through a mobile base station, in addition to the Wi-Fi network, it would be nice to listen to music in stereo even at Piknik, out of reach of the Wi-Fi network

JBL is able to do this because the speakers are paired with NFC technology

Would it be possible for sonos to make an update that would allow sonos roams to play in stereo as a pair, through a mobile base station, in addition to the Wi-Fi network, it would be nice to listen to music in stereo even at Piknik, out of reach of the Wi-Fi network

Use a mobile phone hotspot - or a MiFi device. I use a d-link dwr-2101, but a mobile hotspot wirks okay too. You can play up-to 32 speakers with the MiFi device - 16 stereo pairs, in ideal conditions, but that’s pushing things to their limit and if trying that. I would hold the music locally on the LAN subnet too.

https://www.dlink.com/uk/en/products/dwr-2101-5g-wifi-6-mobile-hotspot

Badge

OK so for all of you landing on this thread, if you are setting your first Sonos system using a Sonos Roam, using the macOS or PC version will not do any good as it won't discover anything. You must use the iOS/Android app first to set up the Roam even if you get the 1101 error. Follow these steps:

1. Use the iOS/Android app to setup your first Sonos Roam as you would normally. Once you get the 1101 error, click "Retry", and once you get the next error message do not close the app, just continue. A confirmation shyme will sound on your Roam. But nothing will show up on the app. It's OK.
  2. Next, use your mac/PC and open the Sonos app. Then you will be prompted to update. Do so. Once done, you will be good to go.

Hope this helps.

Lost 5 hours today trying to setup a miserable Roam, unbelievable. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @slattd 

Is Sonos offering to replace the SL with the newer version? If so, can Sonos do this with clients in Bangkok Thailand? Thanks for the support. 

No. I was speaking to @Mr.Vik specifically, and at the time, I thought he had just bought his Roam SL - my thought was that if he was still within the Money-Back-Guarantee period, he could return the Roam SL get a Roam 2 instead. On re-reading the first post, it seems this may not have been the case after all.