Answered

Slow flashing orange light & unresponsive Roam speaker

• 25 April 2021
  • 15 replies

So basically the orange LED is flashing slowly, i tried to read thru the manual and it said the product is in too hot environment (?), my room temperature is approx. 23°C. Also the speaker is now unresponsive and wont turn on or off, nor is showing in my Sonos app anymore.

Any tips for solving this?

Edit: I tried to plug it into a charger but that did not help either, its completely bricked. Kinda disappointed, i was only able to use it for total of 45 minutes yesterday…Money well spent💸💸

icon

Best answer by UKMedia 25 April 2021, 09:52

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi

If your device is flashing Orange On/Off then it’s battery is low.  Please see this article: Sonos LED Lights | Sonos  (Scroll down to Battery Light)

Edit:

It’s also stating that your charger is faulty.  I suggest that you unplug the charger for 5 mins and then retry.  If the problem persists, then I suggest you return the charger as defective or contact Sonos support

Hi

If your device is flashing Orange On/Off then it’s battery is low.  Please see this article: Sonos LED Lights | Sonos  (Scroll down to Battery Light)

Edit:

It’s also stating that your charger is faulty.  I suggest that you unplug the charger for 5 mins and then retry.  If the problem persists, then I suggest you return the charger as defective or contact Sonos support

I tried the wireless charger and the usb c charger, neither of them unfroze the speaker. Only thing that happens is that the light turns into solid orange from slow flashing orange and nothing works even after 1-2 hours of charging so im not sure what is going on, maybe the whole speaker is just an expensive boat anchor ? I feel like the whole speaker is bricked 😤

Edit: That worked, thank you! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi

Edit:

I tried the wireless charger and the usb c charger, neither of them unfroze the speaker. Only thing that happens is that the light turns into solid orange from slow flashing orange and nothing works even after 1-2 hours of charging so im not sure what is going on, maybe the whole speaker is just an expensive boat anchor ? I feel like the whole speaker is bricked 😤

Solid Orange indicates the speaker is charging, I would leave it charging for a longer period.  If the problem isn’t resolved after 2-3hrs, then contact customer support tomorrow.

I have the same problem and nothing seems to fix the problem!!!! 😤

After being idle for days my Roam orange light was flashing, I took that as a sign battery was low and plugged in the charger - the light went to continuous orange for much longer than ten seconds AND the Roam did not show on my control panel - so I was very worried there was a significant problem and I should contact Support. BUT after a while when the battery was up to 10% the orange light did go out and the Roam did then show on the control panel and all was well and the charge continued to 100%.

So don’t necessarily panic Mr Mainwering or others!

I had a similar experience after receiving the ROAM last week, and setting up and charging, I put it in a desk drawer for about a week to come back to the unresponsive / flashing orange light.  In the end, patience with the charging process was the magic bullet.  I think that I did not power the unit down correctly and it was totally drained when I  went to use it again.  It took 2 hours with a direct connection via usb-c to a 65w power source, but it finally came back to life.

Userlevel 1

Feels like a speaker I can’t count on. The on off button is not a tactile pleasure. It’s hard to push and hold down, let alone find in the first place. Half the time when I’m ready to use -- something or another is going wrong with this thing. Ready to send it back and get a different brand. Geesh.

Man, my Roam just did the same thing. Just stopped playing and started slowly blinking orange. Was using it for tunes via bluetooth. Was 100% charged a couple days ago and this is the first time turning it on since then. Been playing for maybe an hour. Seems to be locked up.

OMG! I thought I was the only one who is having this issue. Sadly, I’ve let my return window pass me by. It feels like I’ve thrown away $150 on this thing. Every mutha truckin time I go to use it, I’ve got pull up a chair and figure out what the heck the issue is. So frustrating! I’ve never wanted to toss something this expensive across the room more than I do with the Roam. 

My Roam only displays a slow blinking orange light.

Have you contacted Sonos support?

Badge

I have a brand new roam and it’s at 100% battery after doing only one charge/drain/charge cycle.

If I plug it into a new 15W Anker charger by USB-C, I Get the slow flashing orange light. But, everything seems to work.

The Sonos app says that the battery is 100%, the room temperature is 22C, the roam feels cool to touch, music plays.

If I move the charge cable to my MacBook, all is normal again, the orange light glows, turns off and stays off and all looks normal.

Back to the Anker charger and all remains ok. Orange light lights for a few seconds, turns off and stays off.

Sounds like a firmware bug to me.

I’ve had the same problem with my 2 Roam speakers. One of them I have never been able to use, and have never been able to connect either to my Sonos app. So for the hundreds of dollars I spent on these, one partially works and every few days gets locked up somehow and I can’t use it. I’d say these are the least user friendly speaker I’ve ever encountered and would never recommend to someone to buy. I agree with the earlier comment about a very expensive boat anchor, also can be used as a very expensive paper weight. 

I’ve had the same problem with my 2 Roam speakers. One of them I have never been able to use, and have never been able to connect either to my Sonos app. So for the hundreds of dollars I spent on these, one partially works and every few days gets locked up somehow and I can’t use it. I’d say these are the least user friendly speaker I’ve ever encountered and would never recommend to someone to buy. I agree with the earlier comment about a very expensive boat anchor, also can be used as a very expensive paper weight. 

What charger are you using? - your post reminds me of someone similar who was using a shared USB mobile phone charger that was not really outputting the power required to charge the device - maybe post a photo of its power-output details as printed on the adapter, to see if that might be your issue.

What charger are you using? - your post reminds me of someone similar who was using a shared USB mobile phone charger that was not really outputting the power required to charge the device - maybe post a photo of its power-output details as printed on the adapter, to see if that might be your issue.

Further to this. We had the same problem with our roam. It only came with a USB cable, not a charger. We were using a standard USB charging point, but it was staying on solid orange whilst charging, and flashing orange when we removed the cable. We then tried an ipad USB charging plug (the big chunky one), and within minutes the white light appeared and the Sonos chime made its waking up noise, and it was then visible to our devices via bluetooth. This is definitely a charging issue, and as Ken mentioned, you need a more powerful charger than standard.