Answered

Roam wont charge!

• 22 April 2021
  • 63 replies

Userlevel 2

Just got my hands on the new Roam today and  can’t get it to charge.  

its plugged in with cable provided, solid orange  light on the front of it and can see it’s charging on the app but it’s stuck at 20% all day now. Won’t charge up.

any ideas what to do here, very frustrated with this problem. 

thanks in advance for any advice.

Edit, light is slowly flashing orange it was only solid orange when speak on but problem remains the same.

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 22 April 2021, 18:36

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

63 replies

What is the power output of the charger you are using? The Minimum requirements are 5v/1.5A (7.5w), but I would personally recommend using a 2A or 3A charger (10w-15w).

Userlevel 2

Hi Ken,

thank you so much, my charger was inadequate  for the job it was only 1A output. Working perfect now. 

I had no idea that a regular iphone charger wouldn’t work, the fact SONOS don’t provide a charger I just assumed a run of the mill iPhone charger would suffice. 

Thanks again, now to enjoy my roam out in the garden tonight. 

Userlevel 1

So on top of paying £170 for a Roam, which doesn’t get a suitable plug, I need to pay another £17 for the plug?? And this was with its supplied charge of 57% lasting an hour. 
Dreadful piece of kit!!!

Userlevel 2

I tend to agree Martin,  quite annoyed I now need to go out and buy a charger.  Poor show Sonos 

Userlevel 7

Sonos is trying to keep the price of the Roam competitive.

Do you prefer a Roam with a charger plug for $189 or a Roam without a charger plug for $169?

Userlevel 1

It’s irrespective really GuitarSuperstar. Sonos are keeping the price down by not supplying a plug, but I need to go spend an additional £17 with them to purchase a plug, so to get best charging from my Roam, I still need to spend the same amount of money!

Its really not all it’s cracked up to be either. I have numerous Sonos speakers which are all brilliant, but this loses 40% of its charge overnight, takes an age to charge…..as I haven’t stumped up the £17 yet, and only lasts about two hours before requiring a charge…..where’s the 10 days standby battery life and 10 hours playing battery life? This is with full power off and no voice assistants…..as they are an issue apparently!!

Think my next purchase will be the returns label for the box…...not a good show ☹️

Userlevel 2

I would have preferred to have the gear necessary to power the speaker I bought.  I have 4 x phone chargers are home checked them all, none powerful enough. I don’t think Sonos are doing a favor to anyone here, not the consumer nor the environment (as I need to buy charger anyway)

Userlevel 7

You guys are assuming every Roam user requires a charging plug. They don’t.

Userlevel 2

I would say more often than not people won’t have the right charger at home.  I am now two days with my roam and I can tell you the battery is pretty crap, I will def be needing a good charger. 

Userlevel 1

I agree with you Johnny 12345 . I’ve been through every plug we have in the house and none are strong enough.

I’ve found out that if I power up the laptop and charge via that, it works, but the best thing, for something that requires more power than a standard phone charger should be supplied with it. Frustrated is an understatement!!!

My Sonos Roam only gain 48% of battery in 10 hours with the Sonos Roam original wireless charger.

Am I getting a faulty unit?

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

My old 10 watt iPad Air charger works great.   Takes about 2 hours to get to full charge from less than 10%:

Now if only I didn’t need to charge the Roam so often though (no way does it last 10 days on sleep mode -- maybe 4 or 5).  

Userlevel 1

My Sonos Roam only gain 48% of battery in 10 hours with the Sonos Roam original wireless charger.

Am I getting a faulty unit?

Might be the plug that you have the wireless unit attached to. Needs to be stronger than 7.5w otherwise you will be there for hours!

Hi,

Having problems with the charging of my roam.

Been sat on a qi wireless charger and all seemed OK but this morning it made a couple of noises and when I checked the battery status it was dead.

Doesn't seem to have gone into sleep mode? 

This is the plug im using, should this be OK? 

Hi,

Having problems with the charging of my roam.

Been sat on a qi wireless charger and all seemed OK but this morning it made a couple of noises and when I checked the battery status it was dead.

Doesn't seem to have gone into sleep mode? 

This is the plug im using, should this be OK? 

Yes, 5v/2.4A is fine to charge the Roam. Maybe whilst off the charger, long-press the rear power button to power down the speaker. Power the charger off too for 30+ seconds and then try the charging process again

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

It should be noted that a charger with multiple ports will share current - in the picture above, if the device has 4 ports (if this is why there’s a 4 in the name) and all 4 are connected, the roam may only get a quarter of the maximum 5.4 Amps that the charger can deliver.

Scottmguy,

Yes, my apologies, Corry P is correct. I was assuming in my previous post, that just the one port only on the multi-charger was being used to charge the Roam. (You can get away with using two of the ports to get the max. stated 2.4A)

Cheers guys, yes I do have all 4 ports connected to devices.

I've taken the others out to see how that affects things. 

May be better to get a separate plug then I suspect. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Cheers guys, yes I do have all 4 ports connected to devices.

I've taken the others out to see how that affects things. 

May be better to get a separate plug then I suspect. 

Yes, that’s best.

5.4 / 4 = 1.35

1.35 Amps x 5 Volts = 6.75 Watts 

6.75 watts isn’t really enough to push the charge into the Roams battery.

Same issues with orange flashing light and no functionality - I have correct adapter - I swapped out usb c cable and all came to life - hope it helps others - Cheers

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I have tried literally five different wireless charging pads, and even bought a $30 USB charging brick with 12W of power for each port and only plugged in one wireless charging pad. The Roam will charge for a bit, but if left for a few hours or overnight, it will be down to 30% despite being in idle mode with no music playing just sitting on the wireless charging pad.

This is a video of what my unit is experiencing: https://youtu.be/1aSs2OulQEM

I have tried literally five different wireless charging pads, and even bought a $30 USB charging brick with 12W of power for each port and only plugged in one wireless charging pad. The Roam will charge for a bit, but if left for a few hours or overnight, it will be down to 30% despite being in idle mode with no music playing just sitting on the wireless charging pad.

The power output is too low - it’s only 5V/1A. You need a minimum of 5V/1.5A (as stated on the Sonos.com FAQ) - I would suggest using between 5V/2A to 3A power output, to charge the Roam.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

The power output is too low - it’s only 5V/1A. You need a minimum of 5V/1.5A (as stated on the Sonos.com FAQ) - I would suggest using between 5V/2A to 3A power output, to charge the Roam.

Thanks for the reply. Though it contradicts the email I got from Sonos support today. Here is a quote from that email: “Roam can only accept up to 5W rated wireless chargers. Third-party wireless chargers rated 10W and 15W will work, but they won't charge Roam any faster than a 5W wireless charger.”

Also, I specifically bought that wireless charger because it is a 10W charger (after 5V-1A, notice it says 9v-1.1A which is 10 watts). It is qi certified and the Sonos marketing material on the website says that any qi certified charger will work.

Thanks for the reply. Though it contradicts the email I got from Sonos support today. Here is a quote from that email: “Roam can only accept up to 5W rated wireless chargers. Third-party wireless chargers rated 10W and 15W will work, but they won't charge Roam any faster than a 5W wireless charger.”

Also, I specifically bought that wireless charger because it is a 10W charger (after 5V-1A, notice it says 9v-1.1A which is 10 watts). It is qi certified and the Sonos marketing material on the website says that any qi certified charger will work.

Here is a screenshot from the Roam’s FAQ…

petridish38

Your charger power output (as per my screenshot from your video) at the correct voltage of 5V is only 1A - it’s not enough to charge the Roam.