Answered

roam not connecting to new wifi

Moved to new house, new wifi.  Settings has top 3 options (including “system” grayed out).  Says “unable to connect to Sonos let’s fix it” and “use sonos roam on new network”.  I’ve tried both of these options and followed the instructions.  Eventually they both say: “Sonos not found. Make sure you're signed in and your mobile device is connected to the internet and on the same WiFi as Sonos.”  All of that is accurate except sonos is obv not on the same wifi as my phone — that’s precisely the point I’m trying to resolve, so I don’t really understand that error message.  Have spent over an hour on this and have computer science background; not sure what I’m missing here.

help please, and thank you so much in advance!!

icon

Best answer by Corry P 1 June 2023, 17:40

View original

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @jcast 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I can see how this would be very annoying, so let’s see what we can do to get your Roam connected again….is what I was going to say until I looked just now and saw that your Roam is currently online.

Are you still having any problems with it, or is it all sorted out now?

If the former, and the Sonos app won’t connect to your speaker, I recommend you reboot your router by switching it off for at least 30 seconds, rebooting your phone/tablet, and turning off any WiFi Boosters or Extenders you may have.

It may also help to force the Roam to do a full reboot by holding the power button for around 12 seconds.

Otherwise, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.

I’m also having the same issues as jcast. At one point I could travel with Sonos Roam and relatively easily connect it to a different network.  This is nice for vacation, etc.  When I would return home my Roam would automatically reconnect to my network.  Now, i am unable to connect the speaker to another WIFI network and I’m only able to use Bluetooth, I’m pretty sure this happened during a firmware update because now when the Roam cannot locate a WIFI network, it automatically switches to Bluetooth.  This is a nice feature, but I want to be able to connect to another network when I want.  

I’m also having the same issues as jcast. At one point I could travel with Sonos Roam and relatively easily connect it to a different network.  This is nice for vacation, etc.  When I would return home my Roam would automatically reconnect to my network.  Now, i am unable to connect the speaker to another WIFI network and I’m only able to use Bluetooth, I’m pretty sure this happened during a firmware update because now when the Roam cannot locate a WIFI network, it automatically switches to Bluetooth.  This is a nice feature, but I want to be able to connect to another network when I want.  

What WiFi networks are showing in the Sonos App - ‘Settings/System/Network/Manage Networks’ ? …if the  SSID you need isn’t there, then add it to the speaker. See this Sonos Support link:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/connect-sonos-to-a-new-router-or-wi-fi-network

I am having the exact same issues listed above by jcast where the Sonos is not found.  I am 100% positive that I could connect my Roam to a new network when traveling without too much trouble in the past. 

I am having the exact same issues listed above by jcast where the Sonos is not found.  I am 100% positive that I could connect my Roam to a new network when traveling without too much trouble in the past. 

So what WiFi networks are showing/listed in your Sonos App - ‘Settings/System/Network/Manage Networks’ ?

If none of the SSID’s are nearby, then just temporary recreate one of them, using a mobile WiFi hotspot or similar …and then add the local router WiFi network afterwards to the speaker. 

I am not currently near my Sonos Roam.  I will check this weekend when I’m back at the beach. 

What people are missing when they reply here is … account, system and services are grey and you cannot access them! 
I too am having the same issue, with the exception that it will not automatically switch to BT. This is frustrating and just arrived on vacation today. Roam SL no longer roams, cannot set it back up. It’s junk!

What people are missing when they reply here is … account, system and services are grey and you cannot access them! 
I too am having the same issue, with the exception that it will not automatically switch to BT. This is frustrating and just arrived on vacation today. Roam SL no longer roams, cannot set it back up. It’s junk!

In which case you will see one of two things -  a popup card when opening the App, or a message that says “Sonos and your mobile device must be on the same network. Let’s fix it” - just select either of those as they are links that lead to setting up the device on the new network…

it works for me. See attached screenshots of the popup messages.

I’m currently out and about and just added the Roam (called MotorRoam) to a new WiFi network - so it does work. I have set it up on a mobile WiFi - added just a few moments ago. See attached.

I used the link from the top bar that says - “Sonos and your mobile device must be on the same network. Let’s fix it” 

Perhaps also see this Sonos Support link:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/connect-sonos-to-a-new-router-or-wi-fi-network

We tried these options last night and it cannot be found. Rebooted, reset, nothing. Also tried the support link but again, it tells you to use the settings you cannot get to. Someone needs to fix their fix…clearly it’s not just me.

We tried these options last night and it cannot be found. Rebooted, reset, nothing. Also tried the support link but again, it tells you to use the settings you cannot get to. Someone needs to fix their fix…clearly it’s not just me.

I created a mobile WiFi hotspot with an SSID named ‘RoamdoesRoam’ (just as a test😀) and was able to add the Sonos Roam to that nearby WiFi… so perhaps it’s an issue with the new (remote) router or it’s settings that you’re trying to connect to?

I was using an iPhone XR as the controller device.

I finally had a chance to try connecting my Roam this morning after being pretty annoyed for the past month.  I brought it to work with me and after a few attempts I was able to successfully connect it to my work network.  I simply followed the on screen prompts and after a few unsuccessful attempts it did connect.  Not all hope is lost. 

The big difference again, your account is finding your device. Like others have stated and same for me, it is not finding mine even when following all the prompts. 😂 im using iPhone 12 Pro.

The big difference again, your account is finding your device. Like others have stated and same for me, it is not finding mine even when following all the prompts. 😂 im using iPhone 12 Pro.

Did you perhaps ‘hide’ the Roam in your controller app/account whilst it was offline and before setting off on your travels, maybe that’s the issue? Not that I’ve ever tested that myself, but just as a thought🤔?

No, did not change any settings whatsoever.

No, did not change any settings whatsoever.

Strange, whenever I add a new network, it scans and finds all my products in each of the Sonos Households under my login credentials? If you perhaps have a fault in that regard, you might need to contact Sonos Support Staff to resolve it. If you goto Sonos.com and login to your profile with the same credentials in use by your App, you should see the devices in your ‘system’ tab too.

Anyhow here is the link to contact Sonos Support, if needed: 

https://support.sonos.com/s/contact

Maybe upload a screen-capture video to the Support Staff of the households and devices you see when the scan has occurred.