Skip to main content
Answered

Roam can’t add to system.

Just bought a new Sonos Roam. When trying to connect it, the App finds it and starts the connection process. It plays sounds an I reply by pressing the buttons. Then it’s saying adding Roam to your system. After a while it fails and says “something went wrong try again later “
In the app it shows “not registered “ but when trying to fix it, the same happens. Tried resetting the Roam to factory settings.
My system is A beam - wired connection,

2 one SL, a one and a play1 all in WiFi and have been running in this house a year now. 
it kind of frustrating now. 
Does anyone have any good ideas. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

34 replies

Hi!

I have exactly the same issue, except I only have Beam (2nd gen.) setup and running. 
Tried everything from factory reset, phone shutdown, app re-install, internet restart… nothing works. 

Having the same problem with a Roam SL, bought it while on vacation and worked fine there. Now back home I want to add it to my home network, but registering it seems fails. 

Same problem here I’m at a loss 

Have this issue as well. Can’t believe it is so poorly designed that you can’t do a bluetooth connection prior to connecting to wifi. Will know better than to purchase anything from sonos in the future

Having the same problem with a Roam SL, bought it while on vacation and worked fine there. Now back home I want to add it to my home network, but registering it seems fails. 

Had an older phone laying around (with iOS 15.8 that can’t run the new Sonos app) and using the old Sonos app I could finish the setup without issue. 

Userlevel 3

Ok I have the same issue, just got a new Sonos Roam SL, can’t add it no matter what.  So I think that it must be the app.  Is there any chance that Sonos will fix the problem?

Userlevel 1

Same here. Sonos Roam with new Sonos app for iOS. 

Have this issue as well. Can’t believe it is so poorly designed that you can’t do a bluetooth connection prior to connecting to wifi. Will know better than to purchase anything from sonos in the future

This has been a characteristic of Rome since it was first delivered. After initial setup, which requires a WiFi connection, Roam can be used as a Bluetooth speaker.

Userlevel 1

Had an older phone laying around (with iOS 15.8 that can’t run the new Sonos app) and using the old Sonos app I could finish the setup without issue. 

Reading this made me remember how my wife always forgets to update the apps on her phone. Sure enough, she has the prior app (gold icon ver. 16.1) on her phone. I went through the steps to add the speaker, and it successfully complete. 

The problem is 100% the new app. EDIT: now that the Roam speaker was added, I tried to use the new app (on my phone) to “add a stereo pair.” Immediately failed. Picked up the wife’s phone to pair the stereo Roam speakers and completed flawlessly. This new app is a flippin nightmare. 

Be sure to disable automatic updates in her SONOS controller and disable Automatic Updates in her phone’s Apple Store settings.

Just bought a used Roam and unable to add to existing system from new app. Tried from four devices. Asked for PIN even -- no luck.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Same issues with the Move 2. Sonos has been aware of problems with their rubbish app for days now and have done absolutely nothing to help their customers.

Userlevel 2

I found a Workarround - The issue is the new update of the Sonos App.
I Reset the Roam to factory default, and connectet it from the beginning again, but this time with an older Ipad, where the app, hadn’t been updatet. And it worked like a charm. 

What worked for me was to reset the Roam and to log-off from the app, restart the phone and repeat the procedure.

Badge

This issue seems to have been resolved with the release of an app update today.

Same issue here...tried the reboot/factory reset several times. Tried restarting the phone. Tried a different SSID (2.4 vs 5GHz).

Still won’t register.

So I have one Roam that never lost connection after the new app update but the other one disappeared and can’t add do I’m hosed.

Further update,,,

I moved closer to my primary network mesh node, Failed

Tried to add on my iPad. Failed.

I sure wish I had a device with the old app. This new app is a mess.

This message is not helpful:

Contacted support through the Chat option. It’s clear I was working with a Bot that apparently is not familiar with navigating the new app and gave up on me. I see no way to navigate to Settings > System > Network. That path is from the S2 (old) app.

So (again) this message is not helpful!

So here we are - an app that was prematurely rolled out - and poor support, A bad combination and I’m left with a orphan Roam.

Found an old Sonos version on my wife’s iPad.

Sonos blocks me when I try to add the Roam with this message:

Your Sonos app is out of date.

Let’s get the latest version

Ouch - looks like there is no fallback and they are forcing everyone to the new app version.

This issue seems to have been resolved with the release of an app update today.

Can confirm. Updated app from app store, and added the roam in seconds -- after spending 45 minutes trying to get it to connect yesterday.

I had similar problem and was solved after logging out and after back again to the app. 

SOLVED. Thank You Sonos Community forum.
Fully Remove the Sonos app (which I had updated just last week) completely from the iPhone. Reinstall it cleanly from the App store. Follow all steps as indicated, now the Roam adds as expected. 

Longer version: The difference seems to be in added handling for some specific situations. In my case some of my other sonos speakers were still being used through airplay which for some reason prohibits new speakers to be added. Seems to original 80.x update of the sonos app simply didn’t handle that gave no clue what was going on which resulted in the registering of the Roam into my system to fail over and over again. The latest update 80.00.08 now handles this. It is still clunky since during the procedure iOS triggers multiple system popups that jumps to the background, so you need be somewhat handy and know how to switch back and forth between apps on your phone. Sonos is fixing the new app, but has a long way to go.
It is quite important to notice that only thanks to this forum I realized I had to manually remove the sonos app from my phone before I could reinstall the correct version from the app store. Without that step, the update to 80.00.08 remained invisible and could not be reached in the app store. Oh, boy, this is certainly beginning to smell of support hell.

Another major annoyance is the ‘temporary inability’ to change the wifi settings to switch your sonos speakers over to a new SSID. That is announced on the support page as one of the ‘features’ they will re-add in a future update. I take my Roam stereo air with me all the time for my presentations, so now I need to physically reset both roams to factory default and re-add, register and create the stereo pair each time. Come Sonos, I understand you need to rebuild a software ecosystem sometimes, but forcing an upgrade on such a scale with this amount of things broken or missing? Am I glad I don’t work at Sonos support right now. All the best! Hopefully the gaps and cracks can be repaired soon enough. 
Kind regards.

SOLVED. Thank You Sonos Community forum.
Fully Remove the Sonos app (which I had updated just last week) completely from the iPhone. Reinstall it cleanly from the App store. Follow all steps as indicated, now the Roam adds as expected. 

Longer version: The difference seems to be in added handling for some specific situations. In my case some of my other sonos speakers were still being used through airplay which for some reason prohibits new speakers to be added. Seems to original 80.x update of the sonos app simply didn’t handle that gave no clue what was going on which resulted in the registering of the Roam into my system to fail over and over again. The latest update 80.00.08 now handles this. It is still clunky since during the procedure iOS triggers multiple system popups that jumps to the background, so you need be somewhat handy and know how to switch back and forth between apps on your phone. Sonos is fixing the new app, but has a long way to go.
It is quite important to notice that only thanks to this forum I realized I had to manually remove the sonos app from my phone before I could reinstall the correct version from the app store. Without that step, the update to 80.00.08 remained invisible and could not be reached in the app store. Oh, boy, this is certainly beginning to smell of support hell.

Another major annoyance is the ‘temporary inability’ to change the wifi settings to switch your sonos speakers over to a new SSID. That is announced on the support page as one of the ‘features’ they will re-add in a future update. I take my Roam stereo air with me all the time for my presentations, so now I need to physically reset both roams to factory default and re-add, register and create the stereo pair each time. Come Sonos, I understand you need to rebuild a software ecosystem sometimes, but forcing an upgrade on such a scale with this amount of things broken or missing? Am I glad I don’t work at Sonos support right now. All the best! Hopefully the gaps and cracks can be repaired soon enough. 
Kind regards.

Wi-Fi problems are really something very bad. I have similiar problems to switch to another SSID.

Yup, 80.00.08 was the fix for me too on my iPhone. I was able to add my orphan Roam the first time with no issues - sailed right through adding to my account

(Interestingly, though I just closed the app, opened the App Store, searched for Sonos and although the only option was to “Open” the app, when I clocked on to the Sonos logo, it offered the Update.)

Unfortunately, add a stereo pair fails with this error:

“There was a problem adding stereo pair. Check the network connection and make sure your products are powered on.”

Of course they are powered on and look fine in the systems setting. I’ll have to debug later as I don’t have the patience today to continue to debug this crappy code.

Many thanks to bostjanp1 for his post to help get my orphan Roam connected and overcome my first hurdle! :)

Update:

Although adding the Roams as a stereo pair “failed” with an error message - it appears that they were added successfully when I look at the Your System > Manage page.

This code is such a hot mess. Feels like a beta version for sure.