Skip to main content

Hi all. 

I have a system consisting of 2 Move, 1 Roam, 1 Five, 1 Amp, 3 Play:1  in our house. One of the Play:1’s are connected to the router to make sure I can use a separate Sonos network. 

The Roam and 2 Move’s are connected (I think and hope, can I confirm each Move and the Roams WiFi connection in the app?)  to the same Wifi as the wired Play:1. There is a WiFi extender in the house. 

When grouping I get this very annoying message “some Sonos-products are using the WiFi through an extender… To guarantee that all units work together make sure to connect one Sonos-product with network cable directly into the router” (which I have already). 

I guess that the problem is that Move and Roam does not work on Sonos-Net but on Wifi, how do I then get rid of this message and make sure that all speakers are connected to the right WiFi (the extended network has a different name, Slottet_EXT). See pics below of message (in Swedish) and the system setup. Please let me know if I can supply any additional information. 

Are the Moves and Roam close to the WiFi extender? I wonder if they are automatically connecting to the extender network instead of the primary network each time you power them on?

If you power off the Moves and Roam, unplug the extender, and then power them back on, do you still receive the same message?

Are the Moves and Roam close to the WiFi extender? I wonder if they are automatically connecting to the extender network instead of the primary network each time you power them on?

If you power off the Moves and Roam, unplug the extender, and then power them back on, do you still receive the same message?

After trying your tip you are totally right. I shut off all battery units and then disconnected the range extender. I then turned all units on again and *voila* messages did not show and the speed of connection when connecting speakers to each other increased massively.
However, when connecting the extender again the problem re-appeared. So my question is if there is a way to see what network the speakers really are connected to? Then I can reinstall that specific speaker instead of the whole network. 

To start with I’ll change the password on the extender, that way it is impossible for the Sonos speakers to connect. 

Any ideas of a next step? 

Thanks for the help! 
Jens

If your extender is putting out an SSID of ‘Slottet_EXT’ and your Sonos is only configured for ‘Slottet’ there should be no way the portable speakers would connect to the extender. 

If your extender is putting out an SSID of ‘Slottet_EXT’ and your Sonos is only configured for ‘Slottet’ there should be no way the portable speakers would connect to the extender. 

The extender networks are both named _EXT (both 2,4 and 5 GHz, see pic). 

If that helps the trouble shooting: I also have one S1 player connected (an old Amp ZP120) to a separate system, that is also connected to Slottet (not the extender), so should not (in theory) change the setup).  I’ll disconnect that as well to see if that is what causing it..

Otherwise I’ll reinstall the range extender…

Oh, technology! :D

Oh, technology! :D

In this era, things must look “easy”. Unfortunately this is accomplished by providing minimalist, often inadequate instructions. If a product provides a comprehensive manual, the competition will criticize it as being “hard”. Why would one want to purchase a “hard” product?

Personally, I like “hard” products. I grew up on large mainframe computers. We had a library room full of manuals. The console would give us a numbered error message and we could go to the library and get to the bottom of the issue. On consumer devices I doubt that the level 1 and level 2 support staff have access to any similar material.