problems with Roam ‘hand-off’

When pressing and holding pause to pass audio from the Roam to other Sonos speakers on my network the audio transfers but only plays for a few seconds before cutting out. This has been happening for a couple of months now. Does anyone have any ideas about the cause of this? Thanks in advance guys.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

I believe you maybe holding the multi-functional Play/Pause button for too long, so that it either is trying to ‘group’ or ‘swap’ the audio - see the Roam’s tutorial in the Sonos App about the Play/Pause button operation. Also see the below links:

SoundSwap:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4990

Grouping:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4830

Hi Ken

Yes I am trying to swap the audio. The receiving speaker takes the audio but then drops it after a couple of seconds.

Hi Ken

Yes I am trying to swap the audio. The receiving speaker takes the audio but then drops it after a couple of seconds.

Ah I see - sorry for my misunderstanding🙏… what speaker(s) are you attempting to swap the audio to?

Sonos ones also Sonos Beam. Same problem with both.

Note the following information with SoundSwap…

• TV, AirPlay, and Bluetooth audio cannot be swapped. Also both the Roam and other Sonos speaker must be on the network subnet.
  • Audio cannot be swapped with Play:1, Play:3, Play:5 (Gen 1), Port, Connect, or Connect:Amp.
  • You can swap audio with Amp if it’s connected to Sonos Architectural speakers.

So perhaps try playing audio from one of the streaming music services on your Roam via the Sonos App and try again to see if it will swap. It’s a case of bringing the Roam near your One or Beam and pressing the play/pause button until you hear the ‘chirp’ sound, then let go the button.

Trying to swap Spotify Connect from Roam to Beam so should work 🤔

Trying to swap Spotify Connect from Roam to Beam so should work 🤔

Maybe try the Swap by starting the playback from the Spotify service in the Sonos App - I’m not certain ‘connect’ audio, started via the Spotify App, will swap.. but it should certainly work when starting playback from the Spotify service in the App (it may need to be paid subscription too, possibly🤔?)

I’ll go check the paid subscription part as I have the Spotify free service here and can test that. I’ll post back on that.

Ah the free Spotify ‘free’ service does work/swap from the Sonos App - I’ve just tested that here and it works okay. Let me try their ‘connect’ service next. One moment..

Well I’ve just very quickly tested things and it’s working here, even if the playback on the device has been started using the Spotify ‘Connect’ feature - it certainly still swaps the audio here onto a pair of Sonos Ones and swaps back again?

Maybe try a reboot of your local network and devices and see if that solves the issue.

Just thought to also mention to perhaps try toggling the devices microphones ‘off’ and ‘on’ again to make sure they are listening for the audio ‘chirp’.

Hi Ken thanks very much for your help. I’ve realised where I was going wrong. Was trying to swap from the Spotify App. I’ve now tried agin through the Sonos App and it’s working. Thanks again much appreciated.