Answered

Move 2: Wifi 6 Compatibility

• 22 September 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 7

Question:

Does the Move 2 actually join a Wifi 6Ghz band or is just compatible with a router that supports WiFi 6 and will default to 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz? I have MacBook x 2 and iPad that are WiFi 6 compatible. I can actually see that they are using the 6Ghz band in router settings. Move 2 shows 5Ghz and sometimes 2.4Ghz connection(s).

Using an Asus ZenWiFi Pro ET12_WiFi 6E Router

icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 22 September 2023, 22:39

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7

Answered

I contacted Sonos Tech Support and was advised as follows:

Although the FAQ says the Move 2 is WiFi 6 COMPATIBLE; it won't actually connect to a WiFi 6Ghz band until later after Sonos finishes their planned updates. So for now the Move 2 is WiFi 6 READY.

I wish the FAQ’s were a bit more explicit regarding COMPATIBLE vs READY. 🤔 Oh..well...I now know what to expect.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Just to note this: WiFi 6 is not 6 gHz, just the new WiFi 6 signal standard on the 2.4 and 5 gHz bands.

Wifi 6E is both WiFi 6 and the 6 gHz band.

I have several WiFi 6 devices that are just that, but no 6 gHz radio so they will never be WiFi 6E capable. They do do WiFi 6 but only on 2,4 and 5 gHz bands.

It looks like your Asus ZenWiFi Pro ET12_WiFi 6E Router will do 6 gHz

Looking at the Move G2 it sure isn’t saying 6E there.

Maybe more info on the radio’s band options in the FCC data somewhere?

Bump 

I'm having the same issues for port and move. Just upgraded to wifi 6, (had asus wifi 5 AC) and since I did, port and move cut out constantly. Clearly an issue with the sonos support team not up to date on wifi standards (wifi 7 is available now). Sonos is 2 versions of wifi compatibility behind, i feel a blackberry style exit coming from a company that cannot keep the

product up to standards....

I'm having the same issues for port and move. Just upgraded to wifi 6, (had asus wifi 5 AC) and since I did, port and move cut out constantly. Clearly an issue with the sonos support team not up to date on wifi standards (wifi 7 is available now). Sonos is 2 versions of wifi compatibility behind, i feel a blackberry style exit coming from a company that cannot keep the

product up to standards....

The WiFi 6 (AX & E) and WiFi 7 standards are backward compatible to WiFi 5 (AC) - so your Move (Gen1) and Port should not be cutting out at all, nevermind ‘constantly’.

I’m using a WiFi-6 AX router/mesh setup here and not had any issue with either the Port, or Move (gen1) … or even the Move (gen2) for that matter.

If your issues persist, I think it maybe best to submit a Sonos system diagnostic report from within the Sonos App, note it’s reference and then contact/chat with Sonos Support Staff via this LINK and see what the Staff can perhaps suggest to resolve the matter.

I have two WiFi networks available for MY SONOS. One is WiFi 6, the other is WiFi 5. Both are on the same subnet. The SONOS players can use either network, it’s their choice. The WiFi 5 network is dual band, WiFi 6 is 5GHz only. Sometimes I find the SONOS system is split between the networks. If the WiFi 5 mesh system manufacturer or ISP’s WiFi 6 shuts down their WiFi for an update, the SONOS units will simply flip to the other WiFi. I don’t have any issues with this.

What may fluster SONOS is if the access points change channels. This is a risk with mesh points that think they are being smart.

I don’t see much advantage for MOVE to use 6GHz because the range is limited compared to the other bands. MOVE does not require the bandwidth available on 6G. The major advantage that I see for MOVE on 6G is bragging rites. WiFi 6 can perform better (any band) in an extremely cluttered environment.